konalavadome

Albums that surprise you?

• 9 Replies

andy5544

• Platinum Album
« on: April 24, 2012, 02:21:43 PM »
Have you bought an album that has surprised you lately in a good or bad way?
i bought the mumford and sons album , one song, the cave , really good .after that with every listen i hated it more , the singers whinney voice did my head in , i thought it would be great when i bought it , now i hate it.

On the other extreme , my wife bought me Amy MacDonald "this is the life" i thought oh no gonna have to pretend to like it cuz it's a present, but played it and it's feckin brilliant , every song , i play it all the time , complete surprise as i thought i'd hate it.

I wanted to be a hippy....but my mum wouldn't let me !!

Beware the JudDeRMan when the moon grows FAT !!!!!!!!

bewarethisboy

• Platinum Album
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2012, 06:04:49 PM »
glad to hear about Amy Mac - going to see her in the summer. Yes Atom Heart Mother by Pink Floyd - that was one hell of shock!!!! Grew to love it though.(which isn’t great as I understand PF all grew to hate it!) And Radiohead of course they have left me dazed and confused on many an occasion - the sublime to the ridiculous perhaps

not really good at anything - but as long as I am breathing I will keep on trying

tina m

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2012, 07:48:06 PM »
well i loved the cow on the front but that was as far as i got with atom heart mother!

anyway talking of covers i used to love buying lps  on the strength of the cover..there was a corner shop i knew where they had racks of bargain records & i used to love going in there & taking a complete chance on a unknown lp that just had a weird or great cover never knowing what youd get... it was so exciting!
i found this realy cool cover with 4 cartoon like guys in biker jackets & the record was on yellow kamikaze vinyl...i took it home thinking at very least it would look great on my wall.....but BLOODY HELLL it was the greatest record id ever heard upto that point in my life
& they are still my fave group of all time
WOW it was the ramones 4th album road to ruin...johnny ramones always been my musical hero
Tell me Im wonderful & I ll be nice to you :)

The Corsair

• Platinum Album
  • I'm the latest model Johnny
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2012, 10:25:56 PM »
I recently got the latest Biffy Clyro album. I was surprised that given how great some of the tracks were it was a very hit-and-miss album with a lot of tracks being, well, boring. Thing is, it's like it's the middle-to-end tracks where it would seem like they're really just filler and they didn't put as much effort into them, they're just dotted around the album, which would suggest they consider them great tracks. I know I'm not the last word on what's good or bad music but there's just such a difference between the good and the bad on this album (can't remember the name atm...)

So basically I was surprised at how disappointing it was.
Defective Elector

mihkay

• Platinum Album
  • Tune first....Lyrics long, long way second.
    • Mihkay Demos
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2012, 10:57:51 PM »
I was not into the Heavy metal scene in the 80's but On the strength of a reasonable review in a mates Kerrang!!...... I bought "Gretchen Goes to Nebraska" by King's X.

It was right up my street. A power trio with superb harmonies. I've followed them ever since. They were the last band I saw live in Electric Ballroom Camden last year.

In fact I haven't listened to it for a while. Ah..... memories of when I could fit into skin-tight jeans.   ;D :o ::)
I have no authority or standing here, only opinions. :-)

Schavuitje

• Stadium Tour
    • Camera Shy
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2012, 12:02:41 AM »
Saw Kings X live in about 1990-ish, they were supporting AC/DC at the N.E.C. in Birmingham.
AC/DC bored the pants off me. Only went because a lot of friends were going. But I enjoyed Kings X even though
I didn't get their in time to see their whole set. :) We almost didn't get there at all because opur minibus broke down.
Luckily a load of concert goer's on another bus let us sit in some empty seats and even dropped us home again afterwards.  :)
There are holes in the sky where the rain gets in  , but they're ever so small, that's why rain is thin.

mihkay

• Platinum Album
  • Tune first....Lyrics long, long way second.
    • Mihkay Demos
« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2012, 12:27:50 AM »
Saw Kings X live in about 1990-ish, they were supporting AC/DC at the N.E.C. in Birmingham.
AC/DC bored the pants off me. Only went because a lot of friends were going. But I enjoyed Kings X even though
I didn't get their in time to see their whole set. :) We almost didn't get there at all because opur minibus broke down.
Luckily a load of concert goer's on another bus let us sit in some empty seats and even dropped us home again afterwards.  :)

On that tour, saw them at the now demolished Astoria in London. They had just released their third album. Interesting times. Bought that third one on CD having bought "Gretchen.." on vinyl!

On the missed gig front...... Got to a gig late. and to this day regret having missed Primus when they supported Rush on the "Presto" tour.  :(
I have no authority or standing here, only opinions. :-)

Schavuitje

• Stadium Tour
    • Camera Shy
« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2012, 02:30:05 AM »
HAha yes I'd be gutted with that one too  :D Never seen either of those live but am a fan of both especially
Rush. Fantastic band once you can get over the vocals :)
There are holes in the sky where the rain gets in  , but they're ever so small, that's why rain is thin.

Schavuitje

• Stadium Tour
    • Camera Shy
« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2012, 02:32:38 AM »
I think the album that surprised me the most was probably Tubular Bells. I had never heard of Mike Olfield and had never heard of the album.
I had seen it in my dads vynl collection loads of times and never bothered to give it a listen because the cover completely turned me off  ::)
One day I think I put it on just to hear what was on it and I was hooked :)

Mr.Chainsaw

• Solo Gig
« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2012, 08:12:40 AM »
I sat on Jon Bon Jovis greatest hits last week getting in a car. That was a suprise. Left a lasting impression.

There's a band called The Black Atlantic. Think they're dutch. Anyway, they gave away an album as a free download and I was suprised at how good it was, to just give away.

Peter
Everything is easier said than done.

Except talking.

That's about the same.