Lyricist / Intrumentalist Ballot Pairs Competition

• 62 Replies

mihkay

• Platinum Album
  • Tune first....Lyrics long, long way second.
    • Mihkay Demos
« on: April 20, 2012, 01:41:40 PM »
Lyricist / Instrumentalist......Ballot Pairs Competition

Right then. Firstly I wish to say that if you want to put music to anyone's lyrics or have someone put music to your lyrics you can do so at any time. Your choice, all it takes is a PM asking nicely.  :)

The purpose of this competition is to allow anyone who is interested a chance to try out working as a one-off song-writing team with no commitments or embarrassment.
In order to do this I suggest a ballot. A random pairing of a lyricist with an instrumentalist.

There are a couple of you old-hands out there that already do collaborate to great effect and hopefully you'll join in too. You never know there may be a Lennon / McCartny, Leiber / Stoller or Goffin / King out there in forum-land!

So to the RULES.

As the is the first competition here that requires not working alone, the rules are here in order to stop egos and flame wars and allow what are essentially amateurs an unpressurised environment in which to work, although active collaboration is the ideal.
So just to keep everybody relaxed and hopefully answer a few questions here's some legalese...

AND REMEMBER THIS IS JUST A BIT OF FUN.

AFTER THE BALLOT DRAW.....

1. Either party may withdraw consent at any time. For any reason without prejudice. In other words, no excuse required just a PM to the returning officer. i.e. ME!

2. The Lyrics must not be altered in any way unless by prior agreement by the Lyricist. Alterations to lyrics are not a problem but I don't think wholesale changes would be in the spirit of the competition.

3. The lyricist agrees that they might not be asked for further input into the song. I hope this is not the case but this is here to stop the instrumentalist being overwhelmed with requests for changes.

4. The song will not be posted to the forum with out the agreement of both parties.

5. Each party retain the rights to their work. I suggest you release any joint work under a Creative Commons licence.

6. As per usual....when voting time comes you can't vote for your own song.

BEFORE THE DRAW

1. Contestants may enter in both Lyricist and Instrumentalist categories.

2. Lyricists can enter more than one lyric so that in the event of there being more Instrumentalists than Lyricists the second entries can be used.

3, Instrumentalist, please state if you are willing to do more than one lyric so that in the event of there being more Lyricists than musicians, all entrants can be given a chance.

4. Entry is purely voluntary as there is no actual prize except the adulation of your fellows.

So if you're interested. A PM to me with......

Lyricists :- A list of song titles in the order they should be entered and where the lyrics can be found.
Instrumentalists :- Just whether you are willing to take on more than one entry if required.

AND FINALLY

You're just going to have to trust me on the draw, which if there is enough interest will happen and be posted on the evening of Friday 27th April.

As has been pointed out to me, this does require probably much back and forth so I've extended the end date.
Song entries will close 2359hrs on Sunday 24th June. That gives nearly two months for creativity.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2012, 08:56:02 AM by mihkay »
I have no authority or standing here, only opinions. :-)

Dutchbeat

« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2012, 02:29:12 PM »
I like this a lot, and want to join and i accept all the rules, but i have one request

i am one of these slow songwriters...i am not like the Kaflas and Tinams of this world, and i don't want to dissapoint the lyricist... but i need something like two months to be sure i can deliver the song in full....

now since this is a collaboration with suggestions and versions going back and forth, could it perhaps be allowed have such a long period to come to the end product...

Soul Punk

• Solo Gig
  • Wild hearts... Blue jeans and white T-Shirts
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2012, 05:34:58 PM »
As a budding lyricist I think this is a fantastic idea
my only concern is a complete clash of genres?
Wild hearts... Blue jeans and white T-Shirts

mihkay

• Platinum Album
    • Mihkay Demos
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2012, 09:57:15 PM »
DB. I understand your requirement. Quite willing to extend if required. Just though 1 month would keep the interest level up. Also there is nothing to stop you working on the song after the comp end date.

SP. Yes there might be a couple of "Train Wreck" pairings, but I hate the idea of "genres" so I'm willing to give it a try.  ;) And if nothing else we will find out who actually enjoys it and is willing to collaborate in future.

Also, this is only a bit of fun to encourage the idea of collaboration and let some of us try it out and possibly give an excuse to get out of our comfort zone (I write lyrics to go with my tunes so working the other way around will be new to me).
Many of us are lone writers, both lyricists and instrumentalists and I hope that even if it's only rough sketches that come out of this competition the legacy will be that we will all be more confident about, and more likely to collaborate in the future. Without the need for a competition.

If you think of this competition as an ice breaking exercise, rather than a search for the perfect song, I think we'll have it just about right..  ;D

Kafla

« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2012, 10:03:12 PM »
Count me in ;D

Sellon

• Open Mic
  • Disregard Everything I Say...

« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2012, 10:25:31 PM »
sign me up.
What if we both just smiled at once?

Dutchbeat

« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2012, 12:40:02 AM »
i am not afraid for a clash of genres

cause i only see all these beautiful lyrics, so no problem for me  ::)

but i also hope the lyricists can enjoy the different version of their song
even if it would be a Europop synthesizer song  ;D

that is what holds us back, the idea of genres being so very diffferent
we all want good music
we want emotion

yeah, let the games begin

The Corsair

• Platinum Album
  • I'm the latest model Johnny
« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2012, 01:55:43 AM »
I think to avoid the 'clash of genres' the lyricist would be best off entering a set of lyrics they don't mind being out of their usual genre or a piece they consider 'genreless'

Given that the 'genre' is essentially decided by whatever the Instrumentalist decides to do with it the Lyricist would do well to facilitate that. It's hard to argue 'these are rock lyrics' when it's only a set of lyrics.

Of course, there are obvious exceptions (like in Rap, Hip Hop and Prog lyrics)
Defective Elector

bewarethisboy

• Platinum Album
« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2012, 08:48:51 AM »
I would like to throw my hat into the ring as well please.

I am a little concerned though as I am going away for two weeks from the middle of May - so will have to focus!

BTB
not really good at anything - but as long as I am breathing I will keep on trying

mihkay

• Platinum Album
    • Mihkay Demos
« Reply #9 on: April 21, 2012, 08:52:54 AM »

I am a little concerned though as I am going away for two weeks from the middle of May - so will have to focus!

BTB

To help and take some pressure off I'm extending the closing date a bit.

Also, which hat is your name going into?

Dutchbeat

« Reply #10 on: April 21, 2012, 11:18:57 AM »
you certainly have me convinced now, and i just send you an e-mail

about potential competitions....(sorry, bit off topic) what about a competition for funeral songs..that could be jolly

melfen

• Busker
« Reply #11 on: April 21, 2012, 11:01:50 PM »
great idea, I am getting exited allready, it all sounds positive and forward thinking,  Thanks.
melfen

Schavuitje

• Stadium Tour
    • Camera Shy
« Reply #12 on: April 22, 2012, 02:16:39 AM »
Hey everyone.

I'll take part. I'll put myself in on the intrumentalist side :)
There are holes in the sky where the rain gets in  , but they're ever so small, that's why rain is thin.

Ramshackles

• Global Moderator
  • Stadium Tour
  • https://soundcloud.com/ramshackles
    • Ramshackles @ Facebook
« Reply #13 on: April 22, 2012, 07:08:09 AM »
I'd love to take part, but I dont really have the time or ideas to start writing and recording anything else at the moment...least not til closer til the date anyways!
However....I did think of something I could do that would be fun and could give another cool slant to the competition.

I'd happily mix everyones entries for them. (Dont confuse that with 'producing'). Some ideas why I think this would be cool:
1. Your songs can be mixed on some cool gear (apologies if your gear is much cooler :P), on proper monitors. (and in a vaguely treated room).
2. I think it would put peoples stuff on a similar setting sound-quality wise. Even though these are songwriting competitions, its hard not to let sound quality play a role in peoples final judgement IMO.  Obviously there might be discrepancies between the quality of the actual recording, but I'd do my best to work with it...
3. It will be fun...

I leave it up to you guys to decide....
If you want to know/have any worries about what mixing entails and how I might be ruining your tracks, I can post a little about it. If you want to know exactly what equipment I'll be using, I can post that too...

bewarethisboy

• Platinum Album
« Reply #14 on: April 22, 2012, 12:38:39 PM »

BTB

oh yes good question - making the tune bit please - can't write lyrics for toffees. BTB
not really good at anything - but as long as I am breathing I will keep on trying