konalavadome

New Acoustic

• 37 Replies

Kafla

« on: April 17, 2012, 01:03:17 PM »
Right guys - I have a wee bit of money to spend on a new acoustic. I am primarily a strummer.

I have been seduced by the bling of the Gibsons - Hummingbird, Dove and SJ 200 all look really nice

But I have also been told that although it looks like a chocolate lolly the Martin d-15m is the best sounding guitar ever and its £1500 less

and just to add to the confusion I can get the same acoustic as Neil Finn - Maton EBG808 flow over from OZ for around £1,000 which is 50% less than here due to exchange rates

I want this to be the guitar I grow old with - Any comments?

tone

• Administrator
  • Stadium Tour
  • Forum Former Führer
  • The People's Democratic Republic of Songwriting
    • Anthony Lane on soundcloud
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2012, 01:10:27 PM »
Blimey - you've got a bit of cash burning a hole in your pocket, eh Kafla?!

Personally, I wouldn't go for the Gibson. Their acoustic guitars never live up to the hype in my opinion and the few I've played I haven't liked.

Martin seems the obvious choice, given their reputation. I've not played one I didn't like. BUt I've never heard of Maton before. And if it's good enough for Mr Finn, then...

:D
New EP: Straitjacket - Listen here

1st track from my upcoming album -- Click to listen -- Thanks!

Please read the rules before posting in the feedback forums http://bit.l

Kafla

« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2012, 01:41:47 PM »
I've been saving for a long time Tone  ;)

Everyone I speak to says much the same , avoid Gibson go for Martin

And I think I will, but those Gibsons are beautiful  :o

Ramshackles

• Global Moderator
  • Stadium Tour
  • https://soundcloud.com/ramshackles
    • Ramshackles @ Facebook
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2012, 03:36:10 PM »
Martins are beautiful and of course world-renowned. They have a fairly thick, woody tone IMO. Well suited to the folky side of things, not so well suited to furious strumming :P If I had the cash, I would jump instantly on a martin D18
Gibson J45's are classic. Tanglewood and taylor are respected brands.
Dont be tempted to pay a bit extra for a pickup/jack input. They are generally very crap quality yet are used as an excuse to put a load more on the asking price. They can interfer with the sound quality aswell as it is a bunch of electronics sat inside the body. Much better to just get a plain acoustic and fit your own fishman pickup across the soundhole if you really need a pickup...

Dutchbeat

« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2012, 08:39:50 PM »
Hi Kafla,

sorry, can't help you on this at all

because all i would advice, you are looking for Roland or Korg, and no other brands

Schavuitje

• Stadium Tour
    • Camera Shy
« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2012, 12:23:16 AM »
In the very early nineties the keyboard my friend used, when we recorded together
was a Roland JD800, he used a D10 sometimes too.

Sorry no advice on acoustics. I'm crap at knowing which guitars are good. I just play this plank and that's that haha.
There are holes in the sky where the rain gets in  , but they're ever so small, that's why rain is thin.

James Nighthawk

• Stadium Tour
    • www.facebook.com/jamesnighthawk
« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2012, 02:29:54 AM »
I have a Gibson Sheryl Crow, a Martin DX1 and a Yamaha solid (top fairly cheap model)

They are all fantastic guitars

Sheryl likes some abuse. She sounds great strummed hard. A plectrum players dream. Finger picked she is a little limp. Half decent in built electrics but as ramshacles says don't but for this (aftermarkets pickups like the "woody" are awesome And malleable)

Martin is a tender soul. He lives for arpeggios and finger picking. He sings and makes me want to sing. Martin have a unique sound and feel and i love him. But no scratch plate and no coating mean he is a no go for strumming other than thumb strumming. He has shaped my sound more than any other guitar I have owned.

The yammy is the old hand. Only a £300 quid guitar but he sounds amazing for it and occupies e middle ground nicely

My advice is play a lot of guitars. And realise also that perhaps you might need more than one to get a variation in sounds. My Sheryl and my Martin are perfect compliments to each other and don't tread on each others toes :-)
www.facebook.com/jamesnighthawk
Twitter @JamesNighthawk

Boydie

• Administrator
  • Stadium Tour
« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2012, 10:36:19 AM »

Here is my little story...

A few years ago I was on holiday near Exeter

We popped in to Exeter City Centre for a spot of sight seeing and shopping

Little did I know that MANSONS Guitars were tucked away within a little shopping arcade

I had been thinking of getting a good acoustic for a while so I played through every single acoustic in the shop including Martin, Gibson, Taylor etc.

The guitar that stood out for me was a Martin OMC 16 RE AURA

I was looking for "that Martin sound" and a guitar suited for gigging

The Aura system is absolutely superb and the sound of the guitar is amazing

Needles to say I bagged it - it was around £1,500 but it had a fantastic rosewood body, solid spruce top and ebony fingerboard and bridge

It is absolutely gorgeous and also records extremely well

I tried MUCH more expensive acoustics that I didn't were a patch on the sound of this one - and there is the "nub"

I think acoustics are much more subjective in tone and feel than electrics so I would endorse what James said about playing as many as you can and I am sure one will call out to you - and hopefully it won't be the most expensive one!!!
To check out my music please visit:

http://soundcloud.com/boydiemusic

Twitter: https://twitter.com/BoydieMusic

bewarethisboy

• Platinum Album
« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2012, 02:43:58 PM »
My advice would be - don't buy anything until you have tried a Yamaha - I love their acoustic and electric acoustics they are fantastic and amazing (word chosen carefully) value for money.

Sounds like you might have to spend several hours in a guitar shop  ;D
« Last Edit: April 18, 2012, 03:01:49 PM by bewarethisboy »
not really good at anything - but as long as I am breathing I will keep on trying

tone

• Administrator
  • Stadium Tour
  • Forum Former Führer
  • The People's Democratic Republic of Songwriting
    • Anthony Lane on soundcloud
« Reply #9 on: April 18, 2012, 05:46:48 PM »
It's true that Yamaha offer incredible value for money - especially with acoustic guitars. When I was last thinking of buying, the only guitar in the shop that even came close to the £500 Martin I (nearly) bought was a £200 Yamaha. Definitely worth a look.
New EP: Straitjacket - Listen here

1st track from my upcoming album -- Click to listen -- Thanks!

Please read the rules before posting in the feedback forums http://bit.l

domj

• Open Mic
« Reply #10 on: April 19, 2012, 10:10:53 AM »
Have you thought of having one made? I have an Atkins guitar which i adore. I bought it second hand off him though as i couldn't afford a new one made up. Think it's about £1700 for a new one.
He has nothing but outstanding reviews and one said his guitars have that wildness that Gibson use to have, Gibson guitars are very tame now, no-where near what they use to be, it's more about the logo now.
Having one made means you can tailor what you want.

Kafla

« Reply #11 on: April 19, 2012, 10:25:35 AM »
Thanks for all the great sugestions guys!

Here's what I am going to go for http://www.musicradar.com/guitarist/gold-awards-acoustic-guitars-245367

The Dreadnought

£969 from Thomann so for a change the head ruled the heart, can't wait to get it!

bewarethisboy

• Platinum Album
« Reply #12 on: April 19, 2012, 06:11:18 PM »
That is really very lovely indeed. Enjoy. BTB
not really good at anything - but as long as I am breathing I will keep on trying

tina m

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #13 on: April 19, 2012, 06:51:09 PM »
that is a guitar? it looks like part of a tree! cant you get it in a nicer colour for all that money
its hideous ;D ...... sorry i actually mean it
Tell me Im wonderful & I ll be nice to you :)

Kafla

« Reply #14 on: April 19, 2012, 07:45:44 PM »
that is a guitar? it looks like part of a tree! cant you get it in a nicer colour for all that money
its hideous ;D ...... sorry i actually mean it

I went into a shop Tina and played loads , this beat everything hands down - even guitars at nearly £3k

I don't care it looks like a jobbie ;)