konalavadome

mic advice please!

• 10 Replies

jessie

• Busker
« on: July 04, 2009, 09:52:10 AM »
Hiya

What's the best mic for recording vocals? I have a limited budget too, around 100 quid. Any suggestions?

Cheers
Jessie
« Last Edit: July 13, 2009, 09:57:16 PM by tone »

tone

• Administrator
  • Stadium Tour
  • Forum Former Führer
  • The People's Democratic Republic of Songwriting
    • Anthony Lane on soundcloud
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2009, 10:03:32 AM »
I've heard good things about the Samson G Track, and it just falls within your budget. Also, it's USB, so very easy to use with your computer.
If you're using a standalone recorder or need something with a regular 3 pin connector you could take a look at the AKG perception 120?
Experience tells me that condenser mics produce superior recordings, but beware, they're a bit sensitive for using in live performances.
Hope that helps?
New EP: Straitjacket - Listen here

1st track from my upcoming album -- Click to listen -- Thanks!

Please read the rules before posting in the feedback forums http://bit.l

jessie

• Busker
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2009, 09:54:12 AM »
I quite like the look of the AKG. I don't use a computer for my recordings-thanks!

tone

• Administrator
  • Stadium Tour
  • Forum Former Führer
  • The People's Democratic Republic of Songwriting
    • Anthony Lane on soundcloud
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2009, 04:50:48 PM »
What are you using to record with? Fancy posting a review of your recording machine?
No pressure of course :)
Tone
New EP: Straitjacket - Listen here

1st track from my upcoming album -- Click to listen -- Thanks!

Please read the rules before posting in the feedback forums http://bit.l

Captain Andy

• Busker
    • Captain Andy
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2009, 11:23:31 PM »
It does depend what you're recording onto.
I can't remember what make the mic. I have is, but it was only about 50quid as I recall and it was good for recording vocals. It's at my bass-player's house at the moment. I'll check the make, next time I'm there, should be on Saturday.
To get the most out of a mic., my advice is to go through a desk, then into your 4-track or whatever it is you're using. Gives you much more freedom to play with the sound.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2009, 09:57:32 PM by tone »

aaron

• Busker
  • apprentice rockstar
« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2009, 06:06:31 PM »
mic position is just as important as a good mic. spend some time moving the mic till the best sound you can find is coming out of it, then and only then start recording. a desk isn't a requirement if you have a good computer/ software/ recorder/ whatever

Captain Andy

• Busker
    • Captain Andy
« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2009, 08:33:53 PM »
The mic. I use is a Samson CO1 Condenser.
It only cost about 50 quid and it's really good.

Ramshackles

• Global Moderator
  • Stadium Tour
  • https://soundcloud.com/ramshackles
    • Ramshackles @ Facebook
« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2011, 08:13:26 AM »
without a doubt, for that price range I would go for the Røde NT-1A. It is the quietest mic in the world (i.e. the best signal to noise ratio which is great for home recorders where there is enough noise in our rooms without mics adding to it). It is also extremely reliable with a nice, brightish sound.

Good.Times.Studio.Lincoln

• Busker
    • Good Times Studio, LLC
« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2011, 07:52:39 PM »
For rock vox, a legendary Dynamic Mic would be in order = Shure SM57 , SM57Beta, or SM58

For sweet/smooth male or female vox a Condenser Mic would be in order = MXL990 or MXL V63M  (I HIGHLY recommend the MXL V63M)

I hope that helps!
Tyler Larson
Head Producer/Recording Engineer
Good Times Studio, LLC - http://on.fb.me/pT64Tz

Pescatore

• Busker
    • Martin Pescatore
« Reply #9 on: July 19, 2011, 09:51:13 AM »
I's second the Rode NT1a, I use it a lot.. The other vocal mic I'm quite happy with is the sE Electronics X1 (there are a lot out there in your price range.  Some people do enjoy teh sound of a dynamic mic (even when recording) so (as said above) if you're going for that "rock chick" thing then its worth trying one out (a shure ?).  If possible its best to try a few mics in the shop and see what suits but this isn't always easy!  www.soundonsound.com has lots of mic reviews - just check the price first as they go up to several 1000s!!

P

Harbidge

• Busker
  • keep keepin' on, aint that the truth.
« Reply #10 on: July 20, 2011, 06:59:29 PM »
Theres hundreds of mics out there.  I use an AKG 1000 for demoing stuff.  Its robust and affordable and it doesnt matter if you drop it a few times or step on it. 

Ive played stuff to friends and they are impressed when I tell them its a 1000.  It is all about mic placement (try to find the sweet spot) and how you EQ, Compress and mix the track after.

I recorded all the acoustic instruments and vocals with my AKG 1000s on this track, have a listen
http://soundcloud.com/harbidge/have-mercy