konalavadome

Suggestion that might get more lyrics read?

• 9 Replies

bewarethisboy

• Platinum Album
« on: April 10, 2012, 02:19:26 PM »
Apologies if this has already been suggested somewhere in the not so distant - (originality not my strongest point) But I read with interest that there is concern by the lack of reviews/activity in the lyrics section. Well i was wondering if one competition might be for the best song - incorporating Lyrics from the site. It might encourage folks (myself included) to spend a little time looking through what’s there and giving the content more thought - just a thought.

And as I say apologies if this has already been covered.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2012, 02:11:00 PM by bewarethisboy »
not really good at anything - but as long as I am breathing I will keep on trying

Dutchbeat

« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2012, 02:47:15 PM »
I don't know whether that has been suggested, but it sounds brilliant to me, but it of course would need approval of the writers of lyrics, so i think they should select which lyrics they want to enter this?

and then of course, the writers of the lyrics often have an idea of what kind of music or a preference for what kind music should go with the lyrics. But if they would be prepared to give everyone a go at their lyrics, i think it could lead to very interesting collaborations, and perhaps also different versions of the same lyrics

estreet

• Solo Gig
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2012, 09:06:12 AM »
Just posted this in another thread - but maybe more apt here:

I can think of several ideas that wouldn't exclude lyricists:

Songs that are named after a Shakespeare play eg:

(As You Like It; The Tempest; Comedy of Errors etc.)

Songs that feature a palindrome eg: 'Madam, I'm Adam'

Songs that feature a list

Just three off the top of my head.
Youth & enthusiasm are no match for age and treachery.

The Corsair

• Platinum Album
  • I'm the latest model Johnny
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2012, 09:35:37 AM »
I'd be all for it
Defective Elector

Schavuitje

• Stadium Tour
    • Camera Shy
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2012, 10:35:14 AM »
I like your idea btb :) I'm sure it would be fantastic for lyricists to hear their lyrics put to music. Great idea :)
There are holes in the sky where the rain gets in  , but they're ever so small, that's why rain is thin.

mihkay

• Platinum Album
  • Tune first....Lyrics long, long way second.
    • Mihkay Demos
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2012, 05:34:24 PM »
It's not they way I tend to write. I usually go tune first and fit lyrics to it.

But getting out of comfort zone is always a good thing and a friendly comp has been a good way of getting creativity flowing.

I have proposed something similar before, but in addition to musicians looking for lyrics to put tunes to, how about lyricists choose a instrumentalist they think matches the kind of thing they want. Volunteers only of course. It would give a few more options and ensure that more lyricists get looked at.

I'll take on-board all suggestions and happily run it. Starting 1st May, running for a month maybe?
I have no authority or standing here, only opinions. :-)

bewarethisboy

• Platinum Album
« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2012, 05:42:11 PM »
It's not they way I tend to write. I usually go tune first and fit lyrics to it.

But getting out of comfort zone is always a good thing and a friendly comp has been a good way of getting creativity flowing.

I have proposed something similar before, but in addition to musicians looking for lyrics to put tunes to, how about lyricists choose a instrumentalist they think matches the kind of thing they want. Volunteers only of course. It would give a few more options and ensure that more lyricists get looked at.

I'll take on-board all suggestions and happily run it. Starting 1st May, running for a month maybe?

I would be happy with that approach (nervously wondering if he will get picked....)
not really good at anything - but as long as I am breathing I will keep on trying

mihkay

• Platinum Album
    • Mihkay Demos
« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2012, 06:39:38 PM »

I would be happy with that approach (nervously wondering if he will get picked....)

Ah ha. The main problem with this idea is that some may not be picked whilst others may be inundated.  :-\

I have suggested this before. How about a ballot. Lyrics in one pile Instrumentalists in the other?  ???

There are issues to be worked out, (I have thought this through.) But before I post a list of requirements.......is anyone interested?  8)

tina m

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2012, 06:59:19 PM »
yes!
the lyric writers on here are a odd bunch...... apart from corsair none of them venture out of the lyrics section ... i dont know if any of them are sociable enuff to take part
which brings me to say that we will probably have more musicians than lyric writers so put me down for lyrics :)
Tell me Im wonderful & I ll be nice to you :)

mihkay

• Platinum Album
    • Mihkay Demos
« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2012, 10:03:49 PM »
OK. We all know that there are a few of us that can do everything. To some extent...... :o ;D  BUT COLLABORATION IS A BIG STEP...... ???

So let me review my rules of engagement, try and drum up some support from the Lyricists and we might have ourselves a comp!  :D