Anyone for a whistle solo competition?

• 17 Replies

The Corsair

• Platinum Album
  • I'm the latest model Johnny
« on: April 10, 2012, 11:43:41 AM »
I tried to get something like this rolling a while back but that was before there was an established 'competition culture' and a solid core of competition enterers :P

So basically the challenge would be to write a song with a whistle solo in it at some point (of course one would have to make it sound like it's meant to be there and not crowbar'd in)

Would anyone be willing to enter?
Defective Elector

Pez

• Open Mic
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2012, 12:13:24 PM »
I tried to get something like this rolling a while back but that was before there was an established 'competition culture' and a solid core of competition enterers :P

So basically the challenge would be to write a song with a whistle solo in it at some point (of course one would have to make it sound like it's meant to be there and not crowbar'd in)

Would anyone be willing to enter?

Bizarrely I've been jamming a song on the guitar lately with a whistle solo and was gonna try and record it at some point. Its Foster the People - Pumped Up Kicks, great song. Not so sure about trying to include a whistle solo in my own songs, if it happens it happens but wouldnt wanna force it. Hopefully adding in a harmonica to my latest effort. Good luck with trying to recruit for this :)

The Corsair

• Platinum Album
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2012, 12:27:14 PM »

Bizarrely I've been jamming a song on the guitar lately with a whistle solo and was gonna try and record it at some point. Its Foster the People - Pumped Up Kicks, great song. Not so sure about trying to include a whistle solo in my own songs, if it happens it happens but wouldnt wanna force it. Hopefully adding in a harmonica to my latest effort. Good luck with trying to recruit for this :)

Funnily enough I taught myself the bassline (and OH WHAT A BASSLINE!) to that very same song today...
Defective Elector

Dutchbeat

« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2012, 02:50:04 PM »
sounds like good fun to me!
(is it aloud to do a wistle solo through a vocoder?...)

Kafla

« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2012, 03:49:50 PM »
I homestly can't whistle - some would say I can't sing either  ;D

Dutchbeat

« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2012, 05:13:42 PM »
seriously, Kafla

you don't know how to whistle?

well, luckily you CAN sing

but are there really people that can't whistle  ;D

Pez

• Open Mic
« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2012, 09:17:12 PM »
Do you remember at school there was always one kid without a tv?

The Corsair

• Platinum Album
« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2012, 05:22:09 AM »
Do you remember at school there was always one kid without a tv?

Yeah, I had no idea what he did for fun... Now there's internet.
Defective Elector

estreet

• Solo Gig
« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2012, 02:56:28 PM »
seriously, Kafla

but are there really people that can't whistle  ;D

I can't whistle either ... so yes ....

In the James Bond book:  'The Man With The Golden Gun' - Ian Fleming had this as the proof that
Scaramanga was homosexual. He seriously believed that an inability to whistle meant
you were gay.
Youth & enthusiasm are no match for age and treachery.

Schavuitje

• Stadium Tour
    • Camera Shy
« Reply #9 on: April 18, 2012, 12:24:30 AM »
It does.. Doesn't it?
No self-respecting northerner wouldn't be able to whistle. I think that only affects southerners  :P
There are holes in the sky where the rain gets in  , but they're ever so small, that's why rain is thin.

estreet

• Solo Gig
« Reply #10 on: April 19, 2012, 05:08:03 AM »
I admit I'm somewhat confused by your proposal of this Corsair as you don't post audio - and will presumably therefore, not be entering your own competition!

estreet

• Solo Gig
« Reply #11 on: April 19, 2012, 05:09:02 AM »
It does.. Doesn't it?
No self-respecting northerner wouldn't be able to whistle. I think that only affects southerners  :P

We wear coats when it's cold too ...

The Corsair

• Platinum Album
« Reply #12 on: April 19, 2012, 06:12:29 AM »
I admit I'm somewhat confused by your proposal of this Corsair as you don't post audio - and will presumably therefore, not be entering your own competition!

I'll undoubtedly try to write a whistle solo song myself, I just won't post or enter it.

I;m really just proposing it because I think it would be an interesting competition.
Defective Elector

estreet

• Solo Gig
« Reply #13 on: April 19, 2012, 09:03:44 AM »
I can think of several ideas that wouldn't exclude lyricists:

Songs that are named after a Shakespeare play eg:

(As You Like It; The Tempest; Comedy of Errors etc.)

Songs that feature a palindrome eg: 'Madam, I'm Adam'

Songs that feature a list

Just three off the top of my head.

Schavuitje

• Stadium Tour
    • Camera Shy
« Reply #14 on: April 19, 2012, 10:33:21 AM »
@ estreet... Coats! bloody hell!  :P :D :D
I must admit my whistling sounds more windy than whistle but I'd give it a go I suppose :)
I was thinking about this comp malaki and was wondering if maybe something that would be really outside of the box for most of us here,
would be fun and challenging.
Someone... And I can't remember who it was now, posted an accapella song recently, and someone else mentioned in a thread that they sing
in a barber shop quartet. How about a song with vocals only? It must have at least two vocals so there must be some harmony in it.
It would suit some members like the barber shop guy, might be tough for the rest of us but fun.
Just an idea :)
The idea of covering someone from the forum as someone previously mentioned sounds like a good idea too.
Not sure about the Shakespear thing. If it was extended to the title of a book by a favourite author or something along those lines
it might be interesting and would suit lyricists also.
Just throwing idea's in, feel free to throw them out again haha!
There are holes in the sky where the rain gets in  , but they're ever so small, that's why rain is thin.