Not for now but. Some ground rules for another comp?

• 4 Replies

mihkay

• Platinum Album
  • Tune first....Lyrics long, long way second.
    • Mihkay Demos
« on: April 09, 2012, 07:48:32 PM »
As we all know there are a few ideas out there for competitions but personally I'd like to get some collaboration going.
There are a few of us here in bands but lots of us write or record alone or are equipment quality challenged. Especially the lyricists who at times can be a little marginalised.

So to use the style of a Small adds dating section, I suggest that we over the next month or so     (EXPLICITLY JUST FOR THE COMP)     gather members under the following headings.

1. Instrumentalists willing to work with lyricists.
2. Lyricists willing to work with instrumentalists.
3. Instrumentalists willing to add a session guitar / bass / drums / vocal / harmonica etc.
4. Producers willing to try and clean up a mix.

With these two lists we can get some PM invitations going or draw pairs out of the hat and put together a few song-writing teams perhaps?

I know we're mostly part-timer here so this comp might have to run for a month or so, or until the agreed teams have submitted or withdrawn.....

It may give the chance for the instrumentalist / vocalists a chance to leave their comfort zones and some of the guys with an song idea to put that fizzing guitar solo into their middle 8.

The last thing I want is demands being put on members that they don't want and should not need to deal with so, it must be purely volunteers only, and no egos as we're mostly part timers. These issues really need to be sorted out first.

Lot's to think about and is it worthwhile........... thoughts chaps?  ???
I have no authority or standing here, only opinions. :-)

tina m

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2012, 11:08:58 AM »
now ive only just seen this........ like i said making little subsections takes things out of the public eye
anyway yes i would be up for this mikhay i could do any of the 4 except sing very well
i always get the feeling most people here are lone wolfs who like to do there own thing & im not surehow many would be into collaberating?
Tell me Im wonderful & I ll be nice to you :)

Ramshackles

• Global Moderator
  • Stadium Tour
  • https://soundcloud.com/ramshackles
    • Ramshackles @ Facebook
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2012, 11:57:13 AM »
I'd be up for the 'producer' part maybe. Dont really have time for actually recording...

Mr.Chainsaw

• Solo Gig
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2012, 01:01:43 PM »
I'd be up for instrumentalling (?) for / with somebody as I'm having a dry spell with lyrics recently. In fact, I've been going to a songwriters "club", hosted at a local recording studio. One of the guys who goes is a poet with no musical ability, so I've been fleshing some if his lyrics out which has been really fun!

R.e. the competition; why not keep it simple? Find somones song you like, PM them for permission, record and enter. Simples

Peter
Everything is easier said than done.

Except talking.

That's about the same.

Boydie

• Administrator
  • Stadium Tour
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2012, 09:12:38 PM »
This sounds a great idea and would help us newbies get involved and get to know people

I would suspect that this would be a more "long-term" project as collaborations can be notoriously difficult to move along

Perhaps it could work as a "team" competition - each team has 4 players (picked either at random or to mix people up) who have to write, record and produce a song by a certain date

Just a thought...
To check out my music please visit:

http://soundcloud.com/boydiemusic

Twitter: https://twitter.com/BoydieMusic