middle 8 ?

• 4 Replies

andy5544

• Platinum Album
« on: April 08, 2012, 10:50:09 AM »
I'm going to completely show my ignorance now  :-[
What is a middle eight ? why is it called a middle eight ? is it in the middle?
is a bridge the same as a middle eight ?
go on then......i'm ready for the verbal beating on how stupid i am  ::) ;D
I wanted to be a hippy....but my mum wouldn't let me !!

Beware the JudDeRMan when the moon grows FAT !!!!!!!!

Ramshackles

• Global Moderator
  • Stadium Tour
  • https://soundcloud.com/ramshackles
    • Ramshackles @ Facebook
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2012, 12:05:09 PM »
I'm going to completely show my ignorance now  :-[
What is a middle eight ? why is it called a middle eight ? is it in the middle?
is a bridge the same as a middle eight ?
go on then......i'm ready for the verbal beating on how stupid i am  ::) ;D

It comes from the 'standard' 32 bar form song...common in tin pan alley, musicals, christmas carols, early pop/rocknroll, which would have the form AABA, where each section is 8 bars...thus the middle section (the 'B') is called the 'middle 8'...it has a different melody/chord progression/whatever from the rest of the song...
A typical song structure is verse, chorus, verse, chorus, bridge, chorus and the bridge is often called the middle 8 as it happens around the middle of the song and is generally 8 bars.. :)

Schavuitje

• Stadium Tour
    • Camera Shy
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2012, 05:11:10 PM »
You don't know what a middle eight is? OMG you ar.... Only kidding  :P :D
Think Ramshackles had explained where it comes from and what it is, but don't be feeling inferior to ANYONE
because you don't know technical terms or whatever. I have been playing guitar now since I was a kid and I am 42 now and
I still couldn't tell you where all the notes are on each string without really having to think about it.. and yet I can improvise.
Someone commented on one of your songs, that your lack of musical knowledge is probably what helps your music to take unusual turns
and go off in wierd and interesting directions. I think sometimes you can be more creative by NOT knowing all the so called rules because it means
you are completely inventing the wheel as you go. That's why I'm loving playing my keyboard at the moment... because it's new and I have never learned it and
I don't know where all the chords are. So, I have to make it up as I go, and sometimes not knowing where you are going means you can end up in some really cool places.
If I was you I wouldn't learn a thing haha  ;D
There are holes in the sky where the rain gets in  , but they're ever so small, that's why rain is thin.

andy5544

• Platinum Album
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2012, 06:01:57 PM »
Thanks for that you two, now I know ....... Maybe i'll try one   ;D 
I wanted to be a hippy....but my mum wouldn't let me !!

Beware the JudDeRMan when the moon grows FAT !!!!!!!!

ras52

• Busker
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2012, 08:42:01 AM »
Yes, yes, yes: it's usually in the middle, it's usually eight bars and it's usually also called the bridge.  It almost makes sense!  I used to prefer the term "Middle Eight" to "Bridge", as to me bridge describes something more transitional, e.g. a section that leads from a verse into a chorus.  However bridge == middle eight seems to be common usage.