konalavadome

Trying something BIG sounding.....

• 44 Replies

madferit

• Busker
« Reply #30 on: April 02, 2012, 03:28:42 PM »
"A review on a forum such as this (as far as i know) is to help people with where they can improve.

To just post "this sounds like coldplay and coldplay are shit and therefore this is shit" is not a review its just a pointless opinion."

That's not what he wrote... That's what he wrote after you patronised him. And YES, although this is called a Review section, people have different ways of reviewing.
Not everyone is so technical. Not everyone knows how to put into words how they think something can be improved. A lot of people therefore just react to what they hear.
They'll tell you what they think of it. Even just a simple. Yes I like it, or No I don't, is a valuable review.

Have only just realised who it was replying to you and yes he does seem to be full of it... Sh*t that is.  :P but still his opinion is valid whether he plays, sings, writes or just
likes to embarass himself :)

He doesn't have to put one up and show how it's done. Have you ever made a feature film? Bet you still think you could review and have a valid opinion on one though  :)

If he thinks it sounds like old coldplay and that coldplay are sh*t and he is going to change the world with the music he can't write then maybe it's best just to leave him be  :P

I mean we'll all look really stupid when this change comes  :D :D
haha Nice one ;D

and BTW Some of the best song writers and composers weren't great players. Everyone's source of creativity is different. I'd also argue that song writing/composing and playing are two different things. Of course they can go hand in hand but some composers haven't touched an instrument for years, it's all in their head. Which is  IMO almost more respectable than someone who needs the crutch of an instrument to do it. I also know plenty of incredible players who've never written a song and can hardly improvise. At the same time, those composers tend to lose touch with the instruments they compose for.so slagging me off becouse i don't sing and play any instrument is pretty much stupid....
At the end of the day a name's a name. You could be called f***ing Veiny Love Stick, but if your music's shit then it's shit.

stickboymusic

• Open Mic
« Reply #31 on: April 02, 2012, 03:40:50 PM »
"A review on a forum such as this (as far as i know) is to help people with where they can improve.

To just post "this sounds like coldplay and coldplay are shit and therefore this is shit" is not a review its just a pointless opinion."

That's not what he wrote... That's what he wrote after you patronised him. And YES, although this is called a Review section, people have different ways of reviewing.
Not everyone is so technical. Not everyone knows how to put into words how they think something can be improved. A lot of people therefore just react to what they hear.
They'll tell you what they think of it. Even just a simple. Yes I like it, or No I don't, is a valuable review.

Have only just realised who it was replying to you and yes he does seem to be full of it... Sh*t that is.  :P but still his opinion is valid whether he plays, sings, writes or just

He doesn't have to put one up and show how it's done. Have you ever made a feature film? Bet you still think you could review and have a valid opinion on one though  :)

If he thinks it sounds like old coldplay and that coldplay are sh*t and he is going to change the world with the music he can't write then maybe it's best just to leave him be  :P

haha Nice one ;D

and BTW Some of the best song writers and composers weren't great players. Everyone's source of creativity is different. I'd also argue that song writing/composing and playing are two different things. Of course they can go hand in hand but some composers haven't touched an instrument for years, it's all in their head. Which is  IMO almost more respectable than someone who needs the crutch of an instrument to do it. I also know plenty of incredible players who've never written a song and can hardly improvise. At the same time, those composers tend to lose touch with the instruments they compose for.so slagging me off becouse i don't sing and play any instrument is pretty much stupid....

Hey man - no one has slagged you off.... someone asked when you were going to post your song and i pointed out that you didnt play or sing - its not an issue - would be good for you to post in the lyric section or something - set the ball rolling

all cool - we are all here for the same reason

andy5544

• Platinum Album
« Reply #32 on: April 02, 2012, 04:05:59 PM »

He doesn't have to put one up and show how it
's done. Have you ever made a feature film? Bet you still think you could review and have a valid opinion on one though  :)

haha Nice one ;D

Oh lordy ..... An instrument is a crutch, that's where I've been going wrong, I should've been trying to write without singing or playing, I feel such a fool ! There was me thinking it was a tool of the trade.... Wow !
I wanted to be a hippy....but my mum wouldn't let me !!

Beware the JudDeRMan when the moon grows FAT !!!!!!!!

Schavuitje

• Stadium Tour
    • Camera Shy
« Reply #33 on: April 02, 2012, 06:19:35 PM »
He might be a bit of a t*t Andy but again he has a point haha  :D
No you don't need an instrument to write. Arturo Borero does it
all the time just with his voice and no instruments. I'm pretty certain that
all the great compoers we know couldn't play all the instruments of an orchestra.
It doesn't mean you can't have those great idea's.
What you do need to be able to do (if you want to prove how good those idea's are) is be able to write it down
at the very least, if you can't play an instrument. As long as other musicians can READ your idea's, you don't need to be able
to play them.
So Madferit. I'd join in with the others in saying,"What you got?" Where's the tablature or at the very least, world changing lyrics?"
You are right. You don't need to be able to play to have an opinion about peoples work, whatever that opinion is. But if you say
you are going to change the world then I'd like to hear or read what you have that makes you think you are going to do that :)
In fact I'd be thrilled to hear or read it.
I can't wait... I'll keep checking in, I'm that eager  :)

There are holes in the sky where the rain gets in  , but they're ever so small, that's why rain is thin.

tina m

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #34 on: April 02, 2012, 06:21:13 PM »
i just had to see what all the fuss was about .....you cant have a row here without me you know! ;D

i liked the song a lot....i thought it was very well done...........everything youve posted here has been incredible catchy......that is obviously what you do well ......some of it has sounded a bit twee & cliched but thats in the formula for pop success
i think its sad that you have to be serious & moody or misunderstood & pioneereing to get musical respect
my own music i post here falls into the happy fun pop rock category & i always think it gets marked down here because of that.. which annoys me intensley

this is where your talent is & i say whether its acoustic or electric  you do it realy well :)
« Last Edit: April 02, 2012, 06:23:17 PM by tinam »
Tell me Im wonderful & I ll be nice to you :)

andy5544

• Platinum Album
« Reply #35 on: April 02, 2012, 07:10:16 PM »
He might be a bit of a t*t Andy but again he has a point haha  :D
No you don't need an instrument to write. Arturo Borero does it
all the time just with his voice and no instruments. I'm pretty certain that
all the great compoers we know couldn't play all the instruments of an orchestra.I
It doesn't mean you can't have those great idea's.
What you do need to be able to do (if you want to prove how good those idea's are) is be able to write it down
at the very least, if you can't play an instrument. As long as other musicians can READ your idea's, you don't need to be able
to play them.
So Madferit. I'd join in with the others in saying,"What you got?" Where's the tablature or at the very least, world changing lyrics?"
You are right. You don't need to be able to play to have an opinion about peoples work, whatever that opinion is. But if you say
you are going to change the world then I'd like to hear or read what you have that makes you think you are going to do that :)
In fact I'd be thrilled to hear or read it.
I can't wait... I'll keep checking in, I'm that eager  :)

You are right in what you say, but if  he talks the talk etc.
Also if you have negative things to say about other peoples work that's fair enough , but were all civilised here and there's ways of putting things without causing upset and  offence.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2012, 07:20:45 PM by andy5544 »
I wanted to be a hippy....but my mum wouldn't let me !!

Beware the JudDeRMan when the moon grows FAT !!!!!!!!

Schavuitje

• Stadium Tour
    • Camera Shy
« Reply #36 on: April 02, 2012, 09:09:58 PM »
"It sounds a lot like Coldplay,which is not good thing becouse if you want to succeed as a musician you need to offer something different and this sounds like just one of old coldplay songs(even coldplay have MOVED ON in the last album from that style),sorry but IMO there is no way that this song will be popular at all"

That doesn't seem to me to be particularly offensive?

His next reply was after he had been patronised for being honest about what he thinks.
There are holes in the sky where the rain gets in  , but they're ever so small, that's why rain is thin.

bewarethisboy

• Platinum Album
« Reply #37 on: April 03, 2012, 01:58:05 PM »
This is a very competent song I liked it. Everything was well thought through and very professional. I thought it was well produced. But that was about it really - It was nice. And if i am honest I think much of your other stuff is outstanding. But it is a good solid little song with real commercial possibility’s I would have thought. Not sure if it is fair or relevant as I am commenting on the production/arrangement and not the song itself so much but I kept thinking it would be good if the voice wondered off piste a little it stuck very much to the melody which is nice - but I would have enjoyed it more and wonder if the effect (the emotion of the song) would have benefited  a little from a  little more exploration in that department. But overall good song - BTB.
not really good at anything - but as long as I am breathing I will keep on trying

domstone86

• Open Mic
    • Facebook URL
« Reply #38 on: April 04, 2012, 05:42:56 PM »
Didn't read a lot of the comments, though I think to rule somebody out as being potentially selfish is probably getting ahead of yourselves in terms of judgement. Everyone is different, some people probably don't want to release songs at all on this section but can have a same view on their songs, or reviewing others.

Anyhow!

I was expecting some overreverbed mush when you said you weren't sure if you pulled off the big sound! It's well produced, the EQing and levels are great. The voice fits it well, very disciplined. (Y)

Musically, the song I find is pretty simple, but that doesn't mean it's worse. I can't imagine this being on the radio purely because of the dynamics. Definately the verse would be ok. If there was a little more depth to the chorus it may stand out more.

I think there's a lot for people to learn from the production.

I like it :) I played the song a second time. :p Verses clearly remind me of Snow Patrol.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2012, 05:46:09 PM by domstone86 »

domstone86

• Open Mic
    • Facebook URL
« Reply #39 on: April 04, 2012, 05:57:08 PM »
If he thinks it sounds like an "older" Coldplay then that's his opinion and that he doesn't think that this would get
popular in the charts today... that's his opinion too.
As far as I can see that IS a useful review.
It might not be the most possitive of reviews, and it might not be what you want to hear, but it is his view nontheless.
Why do people put songs up for review and to hear what people think, if when people are honest about what they think,
they get all defensive.
Yes... YOU might think you did good. But he doesn't. Isn't he allowed that opinion?
I remember reviewing this and thinking it was good. I thought it WAS good enough and modern enough to STILL
make it into the charts even today... And that was my opinion.
Now because of your patronizing answer to his opinion, you have made him angry and swear. That's not very nice is it?
tut tut  ::)

Don't want to open a can of worms but I think you're wrong.

A review on a forum such as this (as far as i know) is to help people with where they can improve.

To just post "this sounds like coldplay and coldplay are shit and therefore this is shit" is not a review its just a pointless opinion.

I could review a song that is not in the genre that I like and surely find positives and negatives in what i am reviewing.

I wasn't defensive as such in my reply... I just restated my original intentions for the track.

Because someone doesn't like a band that they "think" it sounds like doesn't mean there is anything wrong with the track

And no, im not saying the track is perfect , I pointed out and agreed with its faults throughout this thread.

Sorry double post:

If you are posting a song for review, then you are pretty much telling yourself that you are open to hearing what a general market's collective opinion will be. Unless you are wanting to just feel better from individual reviews.

The guy who posted what I consider to not have been the most thought out comment, is the same guy that will be listening on the radio when your song comes on!

What have you learned? It's far more valuble imo to learn that such a percentage doesn't like songs that relate to Coldplay, how would tweaking a certain number of your songs work to alleviate this? Obviously, you said on your first post that it was something different so that comment probably will just make you less likely to try that sort of music again.

To be ignorant to another persons view (Regardless of who it is) to the point of arrogance can really restrict your creative flow and throughput.

Harbidge

• Busker
  • keep keepin' on, aint that the truth.
« Reply #40 on: April 04, 2012, 06:41:36 PM »
Hello

I like the song.  I like the melody, the arrangement and the production.  The style reminds me of late 90s early 00s indie.  You have one of those friendly voices (that probly doesnt make sense but i know what i mean)

Ramshackles

• Global Moderator
  • Stadium Tour
  • https://soundcloud.com/ramshackles
    • Ramshackles @ Facebook
« Reply #41 on: April 05, 2012, 07:50:22 AM »
Catchy song...the sound is a bit dated, but not dated enough that it could be cool again ;) (late 90's indie like the guy above said)
I actually think the song is a tad too slow and it loses some energy. I think the harmonies add very little...I'm not a big fan of them, they are just kind of...bland and predictable harmonies. I quite like the lyrics...they seem poetic but not too cliched and I cannot instantly tell what they are about (thats good for me...leaves something open to the imagination).
The vocal delivery was nicely in tune, but it was a bit...tired/bored sounding?

In terms of the production, I'm gonna go against people as I actually think the drums in particular were far too weak...when everything comes in at 'its in my bones...' it doesnt have nearly the power/explosion it should...
The arrangement is a little...'paint by numbers' but it all fits nicely and nothing is intruding on anything else...

domstone86

• Open Mic
    • Facebook URL
« Reply #42 on: April 05, 2012, 11:24:01 AM »
Ramshackles, now you made me think of the drums and ruined the song! :P

Now you put my critical mode on! I'm actually going to go a step further and say that the instruments don't actually do anything, they just hold a structure. They're mixed in to this structure fairly well, though the guitars sound slightly... Watery? Like a puddle, hard to explain!

You want to mix each instrument so they have their own story to tell, rather than them all being unison to create a texture.

A good way to get over this problem is make a decision which instruments you want to keep in the background and which you want to actually do something unique. For instance, legato bowed strings are useful as a texture builder, though you can be clever and let them put some attitude in a song. I use this technique probably more than I should, but I get some fast attack strings, occasionally staccato or even pizzicato, and work them into a rhythmic addition with maybe some unexpected notes. 9ths, etc. This way, you're giving a pace to the track while at the same time you're making it less predictable AND more melodically pleasing. Distortion Rhythm guitar is usually a texture instrument, though it's perfectly acceptable to give that some oomph and even melody, though it takes a fair bit of intuition in my experience.

I'll disagree with Ramshackles with the harmonies. I think the harmonies really clarify what sort of feel that you want this track to give, I find that they fit perfectly with the song, though mayyybeee you could be more adventurous with the vocals in general, but I personally don't think that's as important as giving the track behind some life.

nochancemilly

• Busker
« Reply #43 on: April 05, 2012, 11:35:28 AM »
I liked this song.  The piano/keyboard line adds a bit of charm/interest.

Well sung.  Your voice reminds me a little bit of Ian Broudie of the Lightning Seeds for some reason and it's a song I can imagine him doing.

I agree with the other posters who put it in the realm of 90's indie which is not a bad thing IMHO.

Good stuff.

Lee F

• Busker
    • Lee F Music
« Reply #44 on: April 06, 2012, 05:43:28 PM »
Wow controversy central here. The song is sweet and inoffensive, the doubled vocal track got a bit grating I'd prefer it a bit more sparsely but that's just me. Madferit is right it does sound a bit Coldplay'y but I don't see that as a bad thing? How many styles are there in the world for crying out loud?