tone

• Administrator
  • Stadium Tour
  • Forum Former Führer
  • The People's Democratic Republic of Songwriting
    • Anthony Lane on soundcloud
« Reply #30 on: March 28, 2012, 08:40:35 PM »
Ok, the flood.

I don't like it very much. I'm listening without the video visible to get the least biased impression.

I don''t think it has a very catchy, interesting or singable melody. The chorus relies on the production more than the melody, and all told it's a pretty dull song. Lyrics are somewhat lacklustre. In fact, I can't really think of anything to recommend this song at all. The verse sounds a little bit like Abba melody-wise, only not nearly as good. The most interesting thing about this song is the way the melody changes rhythm in the verse. But I actually find that annoying - it doesn't draw me into the song at all.

I honestly can't see why anyone would like this. There are tons of better songs that sound roughly the same as this.

A polished turd. Ok, that's a bit harsh, but in terms of song-craft I think it's a bit mediocre.
New EP: Straitjacket - Listen here

1st track from my upcoming album -- Click to listen -- Thanks!

Please read the rules before posting in the feedback forums http://bit.l

S.T.C

• Stadium Tour
  • American Cars........out now
    • http://oldsongsnew.com/
« Reply #31 on: March 28, 2012, 09:06:39 PM »
Ok, the flood.

I don't like it very much. I'm listening without the video visible to get the least biased impression.

I don''t think it has a very catchy, interesting or singable melody. The chorus relies on the production more than the melody, and all told it's a pretty dull song. Lyrics are somewhat lacklustre. In fact, I can't really think of anything to recommend this song at all. The verse sounds a little bit like Abba melody-wise, only not nearly as good. The most interesting thing about this song is the way the melody changes rhythm in the verse. But I actually find that annoying - it doesn't draw me into the song at all.

I honestly can't see why anyone would like this. There are tons of better songs that sound roughly the same as this.

A polished turd. Ok, that's a bit harsh, but in terms of song-craft I think it's a bit mediocre.

Does need the video , this one..i used to find the chorus uplifting.....

tina m

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #32 on: March 28, 2012, 09:45:57 PM »
definately needs the vid...turn the music off id say!
Tell me Im wonderful & I ll be nice to you :)

Schavuitje

• Stadium Tour
    • Camera Shy
« Reply #33 on: March 28, 2012, 10:41:44 PM »
Just listened to The flood. I liked this one only slightly more than the first but again, over produced rubbish as far as I can hear.
Would have liked to hear some soul in it but alas it was soulless.

lol @ hofnerite
I do have a right to an opinion mate :) And did I say anything about me being better than anyone else?? I said it is what I STRIVE for in my music because I'm not prepared to settle for
writing Peter and Jane.
Lennon and McCartney?? What are you on? Probably the best example I could pick to support my own arguement. haha Probably considered by most to be THE best band ever
in the world. And did they stick to writing basic "Love me do, please please me" songs? NO. They experimented and pushed their music to new boundaries. Probably THE most unique
band ever. They went to india, they took drugs and they experimented like madmen. A great example of what I was talking about... Thank you  ;D
There are holes in the sky where the rain gets in  , but they're ever so small, that's why rain is thin.

mihkay

• Platinum Album
  • Tune first....Lyrics long, long way second.
    • Mihkay Demos
« Reply #34 on: March 28, 2012, 11:29:50 PM »
I think to give an objective review, you also need to know what market the song was intended for and judge it accordingly. Personally I hate listening to blues music as to me it's basic, contrived and simplistic but I can tell the difference between a "good" blues song and a "bad" one and can review a blues song objectively without resorting to a quick opinion because I dislike the genre.

Agreed, play you 100 blues tracks and variations on the theme and you may think they are all shit. I'd probably agree with you because it is a basically simple idea so everyone thinks they can do it. But there are tens of thousands of tracks that could be called "blues"
Same with pop.
But to use your example.
I'll bet eventually I could play you a blues based track you'd like. Just like there are some new pop songs that I like. But the wheat needs to be separated from the chaff. That takes time but I'm afraid that even within it's "GENRE", in my opinion, the first song was mediocre at best.

So onto the "GENRE" thing. I hate the term. Every time I try and put my stuff out on line, each site asks me which "genre" is it? I don't know! It's my style. I'm not writing for an audience I'm writing what I feel like and hoping there's an audience for it. There are good songs and bad songs and everything in between. Why you like them is personal and subjective.

But please do not ever try and defend mediocrity.
I have no authority or standing here, only opinions. :-)

Schavuitje

• Stadium Tour
    • Camera Shy
« Reply #35 on: March 28, 2012, 11:39:28 PM »
Here here :)
There are holes in the sky where the rain gets in  , but they're ever so small, that's why rain is thin.

andy5544

• Platinum Album
« Reply #36 on: March 29, 2012, 12:07:57 AM »
back to the katie melua tune ,

i liked it , couldn't really sing along to it ,and i dont have one clue what it was about , not too fussed on all the muscle queens leaping around like demented ballet dancers ,but the tune was ok
first bit was like a bond theme , i liked it better when it speeded up, oh yea , needed more guitar!
I wanted to be a hippy....but my mum wouldn't let me !!

Beware the JudDeRMan when the moon grows FAT !!!!!!!!

S.T.C

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #37 on: March 29, 2012, 12:28:00 AM »
Got a really bad one here,,i won`t even defend it ,in any way.it`s got nothing.i mean zip....
In fact you might to have a listen to the YT vid below it after, just to readjust your ears,,

&feature=related

« Last Edit: March 29, 2012, 12:30:52 AM by songsthatcry »

Schavuitje

• Stadium Tour
    • Camera Shy
« Reply #38 on: March 29, 2012, 12:36:42 AM »
Hahaha. I almost severed my wrist with my lighter! I don't know which was more painful. The song or having to watch
the pre song video.  :D
I dare not get started  :P
I came to find this after just watching an amazing documentary on George Harrison  :D ;D
« Last Edit: March 29, 2012, 12:39:17 AM by Schavuitje »

S.T.C

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #39 on: March 29, 2012, 12:46:04 AM »
Might be good being played at a fairground.or at the dentist,you know when your getting teeth pulled ,without anesthetic and you need to something to take your mind off things. :D

Schavuitje

• Stadium Tour
    • Camera Shy
« Reply #40 on: March 29, 2012, 01:09:38 AM »
Now that's just being sadistic! That would be double the pain!  :o :)

Ramshackles

• Global Moderator
  • Stadium Tour
  • https://soundcloud.com/ramshackles
    • Ramshackles @ Facebook
« Reply #41 on: March 29, 2012, 05:51:29 AM »
Ok, I'd like to offer up a 'popular' song for review that is a far cry from whats been put up so far...think we need a broader palette! So this is a song from an established, pretty successful band. But also one I dont think many people on here will know:

Artist: Midlake
Song: Head Home

S.T.C

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #42 on: March 29, 2012, 09:22:54 AM »
Ok, I'd like to offer up a 'popular' song for review that is a far cry from whats been put up so far...think we need a broader palette! So this is a song from an established, pretty successful band. But also one I dont think many people on here will know:

Artist: Midlake
Song: Head Home

Yeah ,i`ve not heard of them,i had a listen to a few tracks......good musicians.
Easy listening< sometimes bordering on monotone......i can`t really judge them on a few minutes listening time....but my first impression is they fail to excite me....Del Amitri ish ....

Schavuitje

• Stadium Tour
    • Camera Shy
« Reply #43 on: March 29, 2012, 09:59:56 AM »
At last. Never heard of them or this song before and although it didn't set my world on fire I would rather
listen to this over what's been previously posted any day of the week. At least they are a bunch of real musicians
and they probably (you can correct me if I'm wrong) wrote the song too.
This doesn't sound like a song written by soulless people in a song factory so it's worth a listen :)
Cheers Ram :)

flossie

• Platinum Album
« Reply #44 on: March 29, 2012, 12:04:29 PM »
Well I liked it! I am a big fan of Fleetwood Mac and this song has influences of them. i really love the harmonies.

Another song for consideration an oldy but a goody, somone mentioned John Farnham and The Voice, but i really liked this song by him, a classic 80s ballad. And if you don't appreciate the music you can always admire the mullet ahhh swoon!