konalavadome

short song competition entry - Fill your Boots with Rock

• 18 Replies

tina m

• Stadium Tour
« on: March 23, 2012, 11:29:18 PM »
sod it ive got loads of short songs since FAWM so im going to enter another in the short song comp!
this forum has gone crazy so another 1 wont blow a fuse i hope :)

if anyone just says ..." another fun song" i will  probaly never post here again ok

http://www.soundclick.com/player/single_player.cfm?songid=11526144&q=hi

the lyrics arent realy worth posting.... they wanted us to do 14 & a half songs for FAWM as it was a leap year & this was our half song done at the last minute its not perfect but i realy like it :)

Fill your head with bass
Fill your ears with drums
Fill your arms with guitars
fill your pockets cos here it comes

we're giving it away
on my block
special offer today
you wont need a hearing aid
after 9 o'clock

Fill your boots with rock
Fill your boots with rock n roll
« Last Edit: March 23, 2012, 11:39:41 PM by tinam »
Tell me Im wonderful & I ll be nice to you :)

domj

• Open Mic
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2012, 11:47:52 PM »
You use your backing vocals to great effect. Really like this quirky rock sound. 'Fill your boots with rock 'n roll', it's one of those lines you think... how come no-one's come up with that before!
Just like your one before i just really enjoyed listening to it, again and again.

"if anyone just says ..." another fun song" i will  probaly never post here again ok"

:-X

Kafla

« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2012, 08:53:10 AM »
Yeah the vocal layering is really cool

Not sure about the verse lyrics but the chorus lifts the song enormously  :D

Dutchbeat

« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2012, 10:01:12 AM »
the chorus is superb (fill you boots with rock and roll)
summer hit potential

what did you do with the vocal? I think it is works for the chorus very well, but i think that effect should not be used all over (i know...look who is talking)

S.T.C

• Stadium Tour
  • American Cars........out now
    • http://oldsongsnew.com/
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2012, 10:35:16 AM »
If i had to make a decision, do i like it or not, i would say yes...i like rock music,it`s catchy.....it`s not deep in any way, not meant to be i guess....so

jim morrison

• Platinum Album
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2012, 01:02:17 PM »
Good one tinam, i love the way you've done the harmonies ,really lifts a song to a new level in my opinion
Learner guitarist

Songsmith

• Solo Gig
  • If you can feel, you can write!!
« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2012, 05:19:23 PM »
It sounds a bit like the other one except for half the speed to me. I preferred the first one,

tone

• Administrator
  • Stadium Tour
  • Forum Former Führer
  • The People's Democratic Republic of Songwriting
    • Anthony Lane on soundcloud
« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2012, 10:36:08 AM »
Hi Tina

Great melody and guitar riffing. Very catchy. The lyrics are working really well up to the last chorus 'fill your boots with rock & roll' - or actually, it's not the lyric, it's the delivery. Your really understated singing style works brilliantly for most of the song, I particularly like the line "you wont need a hearing aid after 9 o'clock". But then at the end it comes across as a little lacklustre and too understated for the lyric. Maybe I'm just old skool when it comes to rock, but I'd be expecting these lines to be delivered in the style of rage against the machine (f*ck you I won't do what you tell me)

Ok, maybe that's too far the other way, but a bit more gutsy would do the trick for me.

Are you also the bass player in this track? - very nice melodic bass parts :)
New EP: Straitjacket - Listen here

1st track from my upcoming album -- Click to listen -- Thanks!

Please read the rules before posting in the feedback forums http://bit.l

tina m

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2012, 12:16:55 PM »
thanks everyone for listening & comments!
most people here know but i better say it again im the guitarist...sarah plays bass....ally sings...our little band Death by Guitar
i am afraid tone that is the way ally sings & its now become part of our sound...but this track was thrown together very quickly as a final thought for FAWM & the main vocal could be stronger i agree :)
the song was subtitled End of FAWM Sales originaly & it was about the last few days when you rush around franticlaly trying to tie up all the remaining ideas & bits & pieces youve got left into songs....its not as silly as it sounds
Tell me Im wonderful & I ll be nice to you :)

Mr.Chainsaw

• Solo Gig
« Reply #9 on: March 27, 2012, 01:20:27 PM »
The chorus was a great hook to begin with, then you pimped it out with the great layering!

Thought maybe the repeated/echoed rock,rock,rock was a touch too loud against the main vocal? Dunno, I've got shitty ear phones in, plus like all men I just hear what I want to hear. The verse about "Mr.Chainsaw is awesome" was my favourite... :P

Peter
Everything is easier said than done.

Except talking.

That's about the same.

Kafla

« Reply #10 on: March 27, 2012, 05:11:22 PM »
thanks everyone for listening & comments!
most people here know but i better say it again im the guitarist...sarah plays bass....ally sings...our little band Death by Guitar
i am afraid tone that is the way ally sings & its now become part of our sound...but this track was thrown together very quickly as a final thought for FAWM & the main vocal could be stronger i agree :)
the song was subtitled End of FAWM Sales originaly & it was about the last few days when you rush around franticlaly trying to tie up all the remaining ideas & bits & pieces youve got left into songs....its not as silly as it sounds

That makes a lot of sense to me Tina - don't feel undervalued as a writer - I think there is a lot of clever writing in your lyrics if you scratch under the surface , very clever writing
and listening to this again the vocal layering is just genius, GENIUS  ;D

nooms

• Global Moderator
  • Stadium Tour
  • songwriter
« Reply #11 on: March 27, 2012, 05:38:27 PM »

gtr sound reminds me suddenly of Uriah Heep ! sounds a bit fatter, chunkier or something
(my dad used to tell me about them)
great little track
very first time i heard a DBG track it was the vocal i noticed, seemed out of place but made me listen, its actually what sets you apart, gives the songs your identity & personality, suits the lyrics...
i can imagine some souless 'rock chick' screaming all over it and would just be another screaming rock chicken...or turkey

all the best
nooms

i may not believe this tomorrow...

https://soundcloud.com/nooms-1

bewarethisboy

• Platinum Album
« Reply #12 on: March 27, 2012, 06:06:45 PM »
They can't all be a winner Tinam - love this too - but not quite as much as your first entry which I loved loved loved - if I remember correctly. It’s great song though. BTB
not really good at anything - but as long as I am breathing I will keep on trying

Paul

• Platinum Album
  • "There are moments of magic, of beautiful peace!"
« Reply #13 on: March 30, 2012, 04:27:21 PM »
I really like this too tinam!

It's extremely catchy.  the message is straight to the point and I think that the guitar and vocals sound great.  It would be very worthwhile writing a second verse before going into final bridge and chorus, just to give it something a little extra.

Well Done!

Paul

Schavuitje

• Stadium Tour
    • Camera Shy
« Reply #14 on: March 31, 2012, 01:46:24 AM »
I left this alone because I thought I'd already posted on it, doh ::)
Well this is another really f... f... f... fine song Tina  :D
I enjoyed it. The engery and constrasting vocals. The half decent woman guitar, yeah nice   ;) :D
I can't remember the other one now. I've slept since hearing it so I'll have to go back and decide which one I like best :)
There are holes in the sky where the rain gets in  , but they're ever so small, that's why rain is thin.