the pace of this forum!

• 95 Replies

tina m

• Stadium Tour
« on: March 23, 2012, 02:41:49 PM »
the pace this forum moves at lately is frightening... i just cant keep up with it ....so many new people every week & so many new songs  in the reviews section evry day!
you post a song 1 day & not much over 24 hours later its gone of the 1st reviews page & is forgotten
its impossible now to listen & comment on evryones work...ive abandoned commenting on lyrics becos i find it hardest & it takes more of my time
i cant abide people tho who dont even bother to try listening & giving feedback on others  work & just stick there stuff up here & run......
i will not be reviewing anybody who behaves like this now.... i used to but now there is not time anymore...if you cant be bothered with anybody elses work then  i cant be bothered with you
« Last Edit: March 23, 2012, 03:01:30 PM by tinam »
Tell me Im wonderful & I ll be nice to you :)

hofnerite

• Open Mic
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2012, 03:14:35 PM »
Yep, I joined in the summer of 2010 and it was kind of dead back then, well OK not dead but maybe a 3-4 of reviews a week. Tone has done a great job on this site and it has attracted a lot of quality members. I just don't have time to do a proper review at the moment but do pop in and out when I can and have a bit of a rant.

My personal rule is that if I post a song in the reviews section, I always review at least another 5. I think this rate is about fair. Although I don't think it should be compulsary as it is on other forums, I think it's respectful.

S.T.C

• Stadium Tour
  • American Cars........out now
    • http://oldsongsnew.com/
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2012, 03:23:38 PM »
the pace this forum moves at lately is frightening... i just cant keep up with it ....so many new people every week & so many new songs  in the reviews section evry day!
you post a song 1 day & not much over 24 hours later its gone of the 1st reviews page & is forgotten
its impossible now to listen & comment on evryones work...ive abandoned commenting on lyrics becos i find it hardest & it takes more of my time
i cant abide people tho who dont even bother to try listening & giving feedback on others  work & just stick there stuff up here & run......
i will not be reviewing anybody who behaves like this now.... i used to but now there is not time anymore...if you cant be bothered with anybody elses work then  i cant be bothered with you

Well i`m a newbie...i`m post ing quite a bit at the moment , cos my tv`s not working ::)

Forums are not exclusive clubs,they either grow or they die......i agree that songs can disappear to quickly....but they could be saved  in another category..like a personnel file that others can look at,check out the back catalog

Schavuitje

• Stadium Tour
    • Camera Shy
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2012, 04:08:44 PM »
I agree Tinam.  :) There is a hell of a lot to get through these days so if you haven't

got loads of time it will be hard.

Personally I do it like this.

If someone is new and they haven't reviewed yet - I will still review their song and wait to see if they become  reviewer too.
If they don't and only ever post their own songs. I stop reviewing them.

Regulars who I know and who I know review always will get my time.

Long term and known members from the past who only turn up these days for a review of thier own stuff, (and there is one well known member
in particular that I am thinking of) I don't review. I won't mention the name but he's lost my attention. Especially because every time
he does pop his head back in, he makes it sound as if we should feel honoured that we can hear and review his stuff. Selfish and arrogant.
I used to love his stuff too :(

There are certain members who only show up when they have something to review... BUT, at they they do some reviewing while they are here and that
makes the difference to the above mentioned person.

If I haven't much time I will definately seek out songs by the regular supporters of the forum first.

That's about it really. It has become a great place with tons of new people with cool music and I'm loving it :)
There are holes in the sky where the rain gets in  , but they're ever so small, that's why rain is thin.

Mr.Chainsaw

• Solo Gig
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2012, 04:15:20 PM »
I've been thinking just the same thing.

Had very little time to review recently, but have been "lurking" a lot off my phone (when I get a second between courses!) And the speed at which songs are coming has gone through the roof!

This is obviously a great thing having all this activity, but you're right Tina, some songs get 1-2 comments then they're lost in the depths.

Would increasing the number of threads displayed per page help, do we think?

As for those that don't review back, I think they get found out pretty quickly anyway. I just take a look at their number of posts to date and you get a feel for how active they are on the forum. I think Schavuitje is going for some kind of record hehe ;)

Peter
« Last Edit: March 23, 2012, 04:21:35 PM by Mr.Chainsaw »
Everything is easier said than done.

Except talking.

That's about the same.

S.T.C

• Stadium Tour
  • American Cars........out now
    • http://oldsongsnew.com/
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2012, 04:23:18 PM »
Maybe having genres ,like rock,pop,rap..that peeps could submit there songs into...would be useful .Then they would be more visible for longer

Mr.Chainsaw

• Solo Gig
« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2012, 04:46:31 PM »
Maybe having genres ,like rock,pop,rap..that peeps could submit there songs into...would be useful .Then they would be more visible for longer

Ah but tone is an anarchist at heart. If he had his way there'd just be one single thread with everyone posting everything in it!

It's a good idea, but some people might resent being pigeon holed. then some might feel that theirs no folder for there nu folk prog metal.

Peter

Except talking.

That's about the same.

Kafla

« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2012, 04:56:37 PM »
Get off the forum chainsaw and get that guitar track to me! ;D

Mr.Chainsaw

• Solo Gig
« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2012, 05:06:45 PM »
...busted! Hahaha

I'm at work, but you'll have it tomorrow. Honest!

Peter

Except talking.

That's about the same.

estreet

• Solo Gig
« Reply #9 on: March 23, 2012, 08:53:12 PM »
My personal rule is that if I post a song in the reviews section, I always review at least another 5. I think this rate is about fair. Although I don't think it should be compulsary as it is on other forums, I think it's respectful.

Yes that's my rule too - if I didn't have time to post at least five (and I aim for more like ten) reviews for every song I post then I wouldn't post as many as I do.
Youth & enthusiasm are no match for age and treachery.

mihkay

• Platinum Album
  • Tune first....Lyrics long, long way second.
    • Mihkay Demos
« Reply #10 on: March 23, 2012, 10:15:07 PM »
I found it hard to keep up before and it's really tricky now.
However I've got a long weekend coming up so in  addition to actually spending some quality time with my girlfriend and trying to get a tune together for the short song comp I'll hopefully be able to do a few reviews and waggle my oar in and stir the murky waters of some other discussions.

But I'm really glad to see the site taking off and I'll take this opportunity to say hello to anyone new who's introduction I've missed in the rush!  :o ;D
I have no authority or standing here, only opinions. :-)

domj

• Open Mic
« Reply #11 on: March 23, 2012, 10:35:12 PM »
Well i'm one of the new ones. But i tend to review far more than i post. I tend not to comment on people who just post their songs without listening to others because i think it's just plain unfair... though i do listen to their music and if it bowls me over i will comment because then i just feel like i'm being petty  :D
It seems a far more constructive forum than most.

James Nighthawk

• Stadium Tour
    • www.facebook.com/jamesnighthawk
« Reply #12 on: March 23, 2012, 11:21:36 PM »
It seems like the cheeky people get largely ignored. It is clear that the regulars on here always post on each other, which is how it should be. That keeps those people on page one longer, encouraging the less frequent members to join in, and letting the posters that don't really share and share alike fall through the cracks quicker.

The system seems to work. I doubt there is a perfect solution.

I also think that people on here are very good at spacing out their submissions. I try and post a song every few weeks. This gives me time to work on the songs and review more people in the interim. Some forums (not music ones mind) get hogged by certain members spamming the wall. It's great that doesn't happen here

Suppose what I am saying is, it could be much worse! I like it here  ;D
www.facebook.com/jamesnighthawk
Twitter @JamesNighthawk

domj

• Open Mic
« Reply #13 on: March 24, 2012, 12:01:25 AM »
I want to say thanks to the people who listened and commented on my song... but i don't want to bump it up and cause more clutter and confusion. Which is a bit of a problem, don't want people to think i'm unappreciative.

So thanks  :)

Ramshackles

• Global Moderator
  • Stadium Tour
  • https://soundcloud.com/ramshackles
    • Ramshackles @ Facebook
« Reply #14 on: March 24, 2012, 08:23:48 AM »
I agree it moves fast! Im undecided whether thats good or bad...
I have no idea how many reviews I post per song I post...but I've only posted about 5 songs anyway :P
But I'm sure the pace of things means that some songs from longer term members/people I know and who regularly review slip by me and I spend 5 mins reviewing a song from someone who will either never come back or only post their own stuff instead  :-\

seems like songs are lucky to hang around on page 1 for a day (Even less with a competition going) and I often dont look at the reviews to geeky on the recording forum bit...which means I can miss a few days of songs :).

The only problem is, it seems that the only people who will read or comment on this thread are people who are involved anyway...

But, I dont think it could be made better. I know on some forums, members are blocked from uploading or posting links until they have made a certain number of posts.
Theres a DIY forum I look at where for your first 5 posts you have to answer a series of really annoying questions - you really have to want to post!