Dear Heroin; I Can Beat You Anytime

• 17 Replies

Sellon

• Open Mic
  • Disregard Everything I Say...
« on: March 23, 2012, 02:18:49 PM »
This isn't about being addicted to heroin, more of the fear of it, I've been trying all sorts of drugs recently to say ''fuck you'' to my depression, I lost someone important, and...I considered heroin to take it all away, I haven't got around to it, but I know people who have it and i'm inching closer and closer to it... which makes me seem awful...But i'm not, I'm just hurt, a lot, and what's heroin? Morphine, what's morphine? A painkiller. you can see where i'm going I guess.

I've got so many scars and stories to tell
I've been dragged through the bottom, I've been to hell
And all those words that you said are stuck inside my mind
And I'm thinking its my time
Cause all I can think about is your bittersweet voice in my head
It's days like these that I think I'm better off dead
And If I ever recover
Will I ever find another?
Sometimes I say

Dear heroin, I can beat you any time
Cause I believe that control is mine
And if you ever think that you've got a hold of me
Well addiction is a terrible thing
So I'll sit back and watch the world go by
And the world can watch me as I die

This is the first day
And I'm already feeling terrible
The feeling is unbearable
The damage is unrepairable
And all these times I've sat and wasted away
I'm thinking of these things
But I don't care
Cause I love the feeling that it brings
When you feel like time has stopped
And the gateway to another place has unlocked

And in my breath
I can smell my death
Just inching closer
Until everything is over

All those words
And all those things I miss
They're why I'm taking this hit
And inching closer to my end bit by bit
If you ever change your mind
And decide you're still mine
Well, you'd better decide now
Before I follow the road all the way down

The needle and the damage done
With eyes that were brighter than the sun
But that kid is dead and gone
This is real
This is me
this is my everything...
What if we both just smiled at once?

estreet

• Solo Gig
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2012, 08:59:42 PM »
I find this almost impossible to review because I'd have to engage with a lot of psychological issues around your loss and your mental state about it that I neither have enough information or any right to do. It's pretty fearless as a lyric but I could say a lot more about it that I won't.
Youth & enthusiasm are no match for age and treachery.

Sellon

• Open Mic

« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2012, 09:02:58 PM »
Just say whatever you want man.
Don't hold back.

estreet

• Solo Gig
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2012, 09:20:04 PM »
I just don't know enough about you or your situation Sellon. It would be idiotic of me to say stuff like 'Oh, the person you lost wouldn't want you to be like this - it doesn't honour their memory' (I assume they died) - which to be honest is the kind of over-simplistic gut reaction I get when I read it.

I will say that I think some of your lyrics are great - and they are sure as hell are plenty better than anything I wrote at 16. If that's all you are, then you have a promising outlook on that front.

However, here you have lost a lot of your usual imagery and poetry and it reads more like a plea for help. I feel for you mate, I've had a lot of sadness in my life too: I lost my sister when she was just 21 and I wasn't far off your age. To offer criticism on something this direct without knowing you or your pain would be shallow and unhelpful I think.
Youth & enthusiasm are no match for age and treachery.

S.T.C

• Stadium Tour
  • American Cars........out now
    • http://oldsongsnew.com/
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2012, 09:31:24 PM »
Drugs esp that one only hide a problem away for a while...and end up creating even worse ones.people die of heroin (the ones that can`t get off it)..and i guarantee you your interest and ability to write will be gone as soon as you get too much into drugs..you need to talk to some one about your situ that can help you.

Sellon

• Open Mic

« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2012, 09:52:42 PM »
I'm just distracted, my head is all over the place, they'll get better, I suppose... but thanks...I guess.

I wrote this here to be reviewed, not because I wanted to be lectured, no offense or anything, but I'm not stupid man, I know what heroin does, I've researched it extensively and I know the risks extremely well, in fact, I know someone who died of an overdose

S.T.C

• Stadium Tour
  • American Cars........out now
    • http://oldsongsnew.com/
« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2012, 10:25:58 PM »
Just say whatever you want man.
Don't hold back..
quote unquote......... ???

Sellon

• Open Mic

« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2012, 10:29:42 PM »
I guess i did say that.

Schavuitje

• Stadium Tour
    • Camera Shy
« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2012, 12:57:08 AM »
I like your lyrics mate. It's been obvious to me since you joined that you have your troubles and that
you express your feelings about those troubles in your lyrics. That makes them dark and uncomfortable
but also fascinating.
And I suspect that writing these lyrics is your way of dealing with a lot of shit that happens.
 And you know what. It's a good way of doing it. Writing things down is good and you do it well :)

I am concerned about you talking about heroin and saying you haven't got around to it yet.
I know you say you understand what it does to you, but making that choice knowing that is even worse.
I'm not even saying that that is what you intend, but just don't.
Trust me I know what it is to suffer and to be a sensitive person, which makes the suffering all the worse.
I think a lot of creative,artist types are sensitive people, so a lot of people here would probably say the same thing.
And Estreet is right... Saying something like that on here makes me a little worried and I'm not really comfortable being in
that position.
I think you should just stick to your wondefrful writing mate :)

There are holes in the sky where the rain gets in  , but they're ever so small, that's why rain is thin.

The Corsair

• Platinum Album
  • I'm the latest model Johnny
« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2012, 02:12:03 AM »
It's been obvious to me since you joined that you have your troubles and that
you express your feelings about those troubles in your lyrics. That makes them dark and uncomfortable
but also fascinating.

I think that's the nail on the head there with what makes Sellon's lyrics so compelling, it pulls us out of our comfort zones but not in a way that makes us desperate to get back to them
Defective Elector

tone

• Administrator
  • Stadium Tour
  • Forum Former Führer
  • The People's Democratic Republic of Songwriting
    • Anthony Lane on soundcloud
« Reply #10 on: March 24, 2012, 09:06:48 AM »
I wrote this here to be reviewed, not because I wanted to be lectured, no offense or anything, but I'm not stupid man, I know what heroin does, I've researched it extensively and I know the risks extremely well, in fact, I know someone who died of an overdose
If you don't want to be lectured, don't let us in on your desire to take smack, man. You knew someone who overdosed? We all do, by one or two degrees of separation. I know someone who overdosed the first time they took it aged 18. But more awful and devastating was the young lad I saw kill himself with heroin over a period of 7 years. That was truly devastating to witness, and I guarantee you, you don't want to go through what he went through.

The kind of pain that only heroin can dull requires some fairly intense psychological therapy to overcome. It's harder to get the therapy than it is to take the smack because the therapy forces you to face up to your pain.

Whatever has happened to you to make you feel this way feels very lonely, but you must know that thousands of people the world over face the exact same pain as you do, some to a lesser and some to a greater degree.

Now if my memory serves me correctly, you posted here when you joined that you were a recovering addict? So if you get back into this you know exactly what you're doing.

But your lyric lacks the strength of its convictions. The words say one thing, but the lyric as a whole says another. It's indulgent and over-inflated, and doesn't really address the issue so much as skirt around it, flirting with the dangers involved in becoming addicted. You have and you will write much better lyrics than this.
New EP: Straitjacket - Listen here

1st track from my upcoming album -- Click to listen -- Thanks!

Please read the rules before posting in the feedback forums http://bit.l

Kafla

« Reply #11 on: March 24, 2012, 09:07:36 AM »
Dear Sellon  ,

I love your lyrics and I think you are mega talented

This is no different , I think you should send your lyrics off to publishers and try to get them together as a collection of poems

But don't take heroin man :-*

Keep pouring your emotions out in your lyrics and let that be you heroin

My cousin is a heroin addict and now needs to take methadone every day or he will die, he has been to rehab several times , he had a great job and lost everything - even after he had been off it for a year he broke into his old house which he had just sold and got high

The devastation this has caused my aunt and uncle is unspeakable - they are like shells of the people they used to be

This is not a lecture mate as you are free to do what you want

The Corsair

• Platinum Album
  • I'm the latest model Johnny
« Reply #12 on: March 24, 2012, 09:11:15 AM »
Heroin and Life don't mix
Defective Elector

tone

• Administrator
  • Stadium Tour
  • Forum Former Führer
  • The People's Democratic Republic of Songwriting
    • Anthony Lane on soundcloud
« Reply #13 on: March 24, 2012, 09:28:02 AM »
I'm just hurt, a lot, and what's heroin? Morphine, what's morphine? A painkiller. you can see where i'm going I guess.
This is very clever and very deceptive. I'm not here to belittle your pain, Sellon, but you must know that this line of thinking is full of holes and will never hold water.

Yes, heroin is basically morphine and morphine kills pain. But you haven't broken your back mate. You've been hurt emotionally. That's not the kind of pain morphine is designed to kill. In fact, becoming a heroin addict will only pour extra pain on the pain you're already suffering, simply punctuating it with periods of numbness.

You're obviously very smart for your age. So don't lie to yourself. You know what you're doing if you decide to do this, so don't dress it up in something it's not.
New EP: Straitjacket - Listen here

1st track from my upcoming album -- Click to listen -- Thanks!

Please read the rules before posting in the feedback forums http://bit.l

Songsmith

• Solo Gig
  • If you can feel, you can write!!
« Reply #14 on: March 24, 2012, 10:57:10 PM »
Hiya Sellon me old mate,

another fantastic lyric, very powerful, very true as always. Without preaching to you in any way but I used to do a fair bit of counselling for herion addicts in Oxford many years a go & through music I have lost many friends, All I can say to you is don't even consider it beyond what you have done. It is a dead end street mate & you are too talented to go down it, it is the easy way out if you like & I don't think you are an easy type of guy!!
All the best mate
 :) :) :) :) :) :) :)