konalavadome

What equipment do you use?

• 39 Replies

Schavuitje

• Stadium Tour
    • Camera Shy
« on: July 17, 2010, 12:10:51 AM »
What equiptment is everyone using to record your music?
At the moment all I have is:
A line 6 pod farm UX1
A Samson C03 Mic.
Ableton Live 8
EZDrummer
A really cheap and nasty electric guitar (Pheonix ) :(
And an even cheaper, nastier bass.
There are holes in the sky where the rain gets in  , but they're ever so small, that's why rain is thin.

hofnerite

• Open Mic
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2010, 11:35:00 PM »
I am pretty old school in that I don't (yet) use PC based recording.

Tascam DP-01 (8 track multitracker, digital)
Boss BR-8 (8 track multitracker, digital)
Pedals: Boss delay, Crybaby, Ultra Reverb, old Fuzz, Marshall Jackhammer, Boss super OD, Boss plaser.
Amps: Marshall VS100RH and cabs, Vox VT100
Guitars: Epiphone LP standard- silver flake, Epiphone wildkat, Hofner viola bass, Aria TA70x2, Westfield bass, Westfield electro, Coban acoustic, Ovation cc44, fender telecaster, DeArmond M75T, Yamaha dreadnaught electro (yes I have a guitar fetish!)
mics: Shure SM58s, Behringer condenser
Boss DR660 drum machine

tone

• Administrator
  • Stadium Tour
  • Forum Former Führer
  • The People's Democratic Republic of Songwriting
    • Anthony Lane on soundcloud
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2010, 11:55:30 PM »
Hehe I love it when musos get all geeky :p

I use:
Technics electric piano/ master keyboard
Apple Logic Express
Jasmine acoustic guitar, Epiphone c50 classical guitar, Yamaha Pacifica electric guitar
Tascam US-122 audio interface
MXL condenser mic
Proteus 2000 sound module
Peavey backstage guitar amp
New EP: Straitjacket - Listen here

1st track from my upcoming album -- Click to listen -- Thanks!

Please read the rules before posting in the feedback forums http://bit.l

british anarchy

• Busker
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2010, 05:27:59 AM »

software
sony acid pro 7
audicity

microphones
samson gomic
kam 400
an unbanded cheap mic
dynomode dh-660 usb headset for a fiver including postage is a great starter mic for vocals was made for skype but works well

instruments
casio junior keyboard want to upgradeto a full size one soon
 fender stratocaster sunburnt paint job
20 watt practice amp
a zoom effects pedal cant remember which one of the top of my head
an acoustic guitar unbranded
a selection of percussion instruments
bongos
a selection of wierd homemade instruments
harmonica
recorders
cornet
a cheap electric drum machine

and i borrow instruments of people all the time including a nice electronic organ
British anarchy,is her to stay
worse than world war 1 2 infinity

Dutchbeat

« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2010, 03:42:45 PM »
Yamaha AW16G digital recorder

and roland synthesizers (and one of these tiny Korgs with vocoder options)

hofnerite

• Open Mic
« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2010, 07:44:42 PM »
Yamaha AW16G digital recorder

and roland synthesizers (and one of these tiny Korgs with vocoder options)

How do you rate the AW16G? I have used the AW4416 in the past and although the sound quality and features were excellent, it was a f*****g nightmare to get to grips with! Is the AW16G any good? I have seen some on eBay for a couple of hundred. I may go for one if they are any good.

Dutchbeat

« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2010, 05:10:55 PM »
the sound can be good, clear & solid, and it is rather easy to work with (if i can figure it out, it can't be too difficult)

but i do have these terrible crashes when the song becomes bigger..nowadays I can work around that but it means a lot of saving and restoring :-(

I have lost some songs on it when I started with it. It seems all all hard disc recorders have this (?) to some extent

any one can recommend a hard disc recorder that doesn't have this problem at all?

hofnerite

• Open Mic
« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2010, 09:09:12 PM »
the sound can be good, clear & solid, and it is rather easy to work with (if i can figure it out, it can't be too difficult)

but i do have these terrible crashes when the song becomes bigger..nowadays I can work around that but it means a lot of saving and restoring :-(

I have lost some songs on it when I started with it. It seems all all hard disc recorders have this (?) to some extent

any one can recommend a hard disc recorder that doesn't have this problem at all?

I get the same with my smaller units. It helps to keep the disks clean so copy off all the songs and reformat the disk from time to time. Cheers for the info.

Paul

• Platinum Album
  • "There are moments of magic, of beautiful peace!"
« Reply #8 on: December 04, 2010, 09:28:47 PM »
Hi,

I use Apple logic Express 8, Harmon Kardon Speakers, a sennheiser microphone, Apple software instruments, Addictive Drums, line 6 Toneport Kb38 keyboard with Gear box software, a custom built Fender Strat electric and a rather beautiful Freshman GACED 500 series acoustic guitar.  I love my studio set up and am constantly discovering new ways to use it.

Great post!

Eltoniobonio

• Busker
« Reply #9 on: December 24, 2010, 09:17:50 PM »
DP-01FX/CD.
Fender Squire Strat'.
Ropey old accoustic,
Ropey old keyboard, (next on shopping list.)

Much preferred analogue but digital is very flexible. Going through one of those phases that i don't like effects at the minute so tend to do nearly everything 'dry' as it were. Just the odd little hint of distortion here and there.

DeeDeeHughes

• Busker
« Reply #10 on: December 28, 2010, 03:20:32 PM »
I am currently using a logitech webcam to record my songs and then converting them to MP3 using an online media converter. The sound quality is terrible! I did have a multi-track cassette recorder, but it broke. I then bought a cable to link my keyboard to the computer, and downloaded audacity...but the sound delay was so bad that I gave up on that idea.

Recording my songs is the most frustrating thing about songwriting for me. I would welcome advice about what to do for someone on a very limited budget...and with very little technical knowhow.

tone

• Administrator
  • Stadium Tour
  • Forum Former Führer
  • The People's Democratic Republic of Songwriting
    • Anthony Lane on soundcloud
« Reply #11 on: December 29, 2010, 03:26:07 PM »
Deedee, if it's complete foolproof simplicity you're after, I recommend this
http://www.samsontech.com/products/productpage.cfm?prodid=1916
you just switch it on, press record, sing your song, press stop. Then you plug it into your computer and copy the mp3 file of your song across. It really is that simple, and the sound quality is fantastic for a standalone mic/ recorder. I'd say the mic is as good as the cheap condenser mic I use to record vocals at home.
New EP: Straitjacket - Listen here

1st track from my upcoming album -- Click to listen -- Thanks!

Please read the rules before posting in the feedback forums http://bit.l

DeeDeeHughes

• Busker
« Reply #12 on: December 29, 2010, 10:10:16 PM »
Tone
That is exactly the sort of thing I am looking for! Now that I know what it is called, I will be on the lookout. Thank you!

martinheron

• Busker
    • Twitter
« Reply #13 on: January 03, 2011, 03:59:20 PM »
I used Pro Tools once and hated it, haven't tried to switch to PC recording.

I have a Zoom 8-track multitrack which have served me well for about 5 years now, and the drum machine within it is pretty good so I've never had to get a seperate one. As for equipment, I have a basic recording microphone, a pretty able Yahama keyboard, an Ibanez Talman acoustic, Schecter Corsair electric, PRS Santana SE electric and a battered old classical.
It was in love I was created,
and in love is how I hope I'll die.

hofnerite

• Open Mic
« Reply #14 on: January 03, 2011, 10:12:13 PM »
I used Pro Tools once and hated it, haven't tried to switch to PC recording.

I have a Zoom 8-track multitrack which have served me well for about 5 years now, and the drum machine within it is pretty good so I've never had to get a seperate one. As for equipment, I have a basic recording microphone, a pretty able Yahama keyboard, an Ibanez Talman acoustic, Schecter Corsair electric, PRS Santana SE electric and a battered old classical.

Is that the Zoom MRS1044/1244? I have seen then in ebay recently and might go for one. Is it any good?