konalavadome

Ever think "What's The Point?"

• 29 Replies

andy5544

• Platinum Album
« on: March 16, 2012, 01:58:30 PM »
I'm in one of those moods , I sit here writing and recording songs that , if i'm honest , nobody is ever going to listen too apart from a few guys on the forum , if they feel the urge to click , and a few family members.
I don't gig , and the people that i know that do  gig play covers or no one will hire them , slip one of there own tunes in now and again .
i tell myself it's creative , artistic , a hobby , better than watching tv.
all of the above are true , but i still sit here thinking .. "why bother?"
someone please give me a kick up the arse !!!!!! :(
I wanted to be a hippy....but my mum wouldn't let me !!

Beware the JudDeRMan when the moon grows FAT !!!!!!!!

pmarino

• Open Mic
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2012, 04:05:42 PM »
I'm in one of those moods , I sit here writing and recording songs that , if i'm honest , nobody is ever going to listen too apart from a few guys on the forum , if they feel the urge to click , and a few family members.
I don't gig , and the people that i know that do  gig play covers or no one will hire them , slip one of there own tunes in now and again .
i tell myself it's creative , artistic , a hobby , better than watching tv.
all of the above are true , but i still sit here thinking .. "why bother?"
someone please give me a kick up the arse !!!!!! :(

I totally understand that feeling, but (I guess here's the kick up the ...) most anything that's worth doing is hard/frustrating/etc. Get out and play your music, no matter what. There's an open-mic night in my town where I've played a few times and they are fine with originals. What does your town offer? I've decided to do all I can to try and take my music somewhere other than just the Internet. I WILL find other players to gig and record with! So help me... I know I won't be playing at Glasto someday, but I don't really care. I love writing songs and making music and the rooms of my flat are starting to feel too small! :)

Schavuitje

• Stadium Tour
    • Camera Shy
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2012, 04:33:07 PM »
:) I know how you feel mate.

From my late teens onwards I have suffered with Social phobia and agoraphobia. The last time I did a gig

which was over twenty years ago I suffered so much from the stress and stage fright (although I got through the performance)

that I gave it up. Didn't bother writing for nearly twenty years. Just picked my guitar up for a mess about every now and then.

I was feeling brave last year and even formed a band out of good friends that I have had for years who are all in other bands. Two of them

were in a relationship and they started to not get on so that fell apart. I was trying to push myself to get enough confidence to face my fears.

Right now at this moment though I am as bad as I have ever been. I struggle to even walk the half mile to school to pick my daughter up because

of the panic attacks that grip me when I go outside.

On here it is different. You have time to think and no one is sat staring at you waiting for you to answer.

So. I feel the same way you do, very much so. Only friends, the odd family member and you guys on here will probably ever hear my songs.

I'd love for someone else to use them. But because of the style of my songs I don't think they are the kind that anyone would look for

to place with an artist or band. I think most bands will probably write their own stuff anyway. So that's it... stuck.

BUT... writing these songs is probably one of the only things keeping me sane right now. The feeling of accomplishment is great. When you are

a creative spirit and music is in your soul I think it is very difficult to want to do or be anything else.

And even if it is just a hobby... what a belter. Not many hobbies will bring you such satisfaction.  You are doing something that the majority

of people wouldn't have a clue about or where to start.

And at the end of the day, as long as you get it up on soundcloud, youtube, soundclick, numubu, myspace, music x-ray or any other platform you can think of, and

spend time forging friendships and getting your music heard by as many people as possible, there is always the chance that you will become popular or even be discovered.

There's a lot out there so the effort is needed to push.

If you don't have a social phobia then I would get yourself out. Get to an open mic night. Even if you don't play. Get a feel for it, chat to some of the musicians.

Talk about what you do and write. See if there are any other people in your area who are looking to do something simillar.

Place an add in locl papar or in music shop or in the local supermarket. See what responce you get to it. Singer/guitarist/songwriter with good material looking to form a band.

Need...Bassist, drummer... whatever.

If you don't give it your full energy. If you don't push you won't get anywhere. And then the seconds and the days just become past and eventually it's too late. And you'll look back

when you get even older  :P and think. Why didn't I just get up and walk out of the house and do it. Pro-active!

I guess you have to come to terms with how far you want things to go. If you think that it will remain a hobby then be at peace with that and enjoy it as a hobby.

If you want more... Then go and get it!

;D

There are holes in the sky where the rain gets in  , but they're ever so small, that's why rain is thin.

S.T.C

• Stadium Tour
  • American Cars........out now
    • http://oldsongsnew.com/
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2012, 10:34:05 PM »
yeah had one of those moments the other night ;D

but if you really believe you can make good music you have to believe in your self.

tone

• Administrator
  • Stadium Tour
  • Forum Former Führer
  • The People's Democratic Republic of Songwriting
    • Anthony Lane on soundcloud
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2012, 10:54:07 PM »
It's something every songwriter comes up against every now and again. Why do we write songs?

I write for a lot of reasons, one of which is a simple love for the song form, and the joy I feel when I discover a fine melody, and an emotive harmonic movement. But I also write songs because I like to play them for other people. Another reason is I'm not very good at expressing myself (my deeper, emotional self) in conversation, so songwriting is a kind of therapy for me.

Will many people hear my songs? Realistically, probably not. But your audience is often what you make it. I go out and play gigs/ open mics most weeks. Open mics are brilliant because I play all my own material. Gigs are different. We throw in a few originals, but mostly it's just the same old same old. I only play the gigs because I get to go out with my best mate and we have a good laugh.

But there are folks on the local music scene who will only play their own music. They don't get as many gigs, but they do get to play. The trick is to just get out there, meet the people who make your local scene happen. Once they get to know you, opportunities will present themselves. I'd only been playing at my open mic for about 4 months when I was asked to play at a charity night where Bob Harris (whispering bob) would be in the audience. As it happened, he didn't turn up till after I played, but it was well worth doing.

I'm a firm believer in the idea that you make your own success. Perseverance is the key. It's normal to become discouraged from time to time. Just take a night off, get some sleep, and pick yourself up again tomorrow.
New EP: Straitjacket - Listen here

1st track from my upcoming album -- Click to listen -- Thanks!

Please read the rules before posting in the feedback forums http://bit.l

estreet

• Solo Gig
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2012, 11:57:50 PM »
I've got a lot of sympathy with how you feel Andy. I don't have any interest in making music which no-one will hear: it only makes any sense to me if it has an audience. For that reason, Ive gone through massively long periods without writing anything at all. I've been a (poor) professional musician since about 1981 and done a whole heap of cover gigs in the time since then - and that's fine I still enjoy it - but of course my passion is writing and recording my own stuff.

However, having a foot in each camp only serves to highlight the difference between the two worlds. Several of the cover bands I've been in have enjoyed a decent following and I suppose I'm a pretty familiar face in this area as a 'rock' guitar player - but my personal taste in music is not very aligned with the music I'm known for playing. Not that I don't like playing 'classic rock', as it seems to have become known latterly , but it's not what I listen to out of choice and it's not what influences and underpins my own material. Consequently, a lot of people don't understand eden (my own band) and I think a common response is probably 'What's he doing that stuff for - where's the Gary Moore songs' lol. Mind you it's the same with Youtube in a way - I can put up a video of some blues twiddling, the sort of thing I can do in my sleep,  and get several thousand hits, whereas often even followers of the cover bands cant even bring themselves to click 'like' on the original material ones that we sweat blood into.

When I started the band, I vowed not to compromise and to write and play entirely from the heart, but It's a hard path to tread.

Mind you , even the covers gigs have taken a heavy knock these days since the huge growth in home entertainment and the smoking ban. These days we are still playing in pubs for £180 for the band which is what we were on 20 years ago. Own-material gigs are harder to come by and when you do get them you have to work to get a crowd.

Consequently, I go through real 'why bother' slumps. It's impossible to judge the value of your own work, but I think eden is a good band and I'd like to think the songs are strong - but I do go through a lot of self-doubt about it and do seriously consider knocking it on the head often.  

I see enormously talented friends in the same position too and I think there's a lot of factors at work. A lot people have become very lazy in their listening habits and want instant gratification either from 'songs they know' or they want to be dazzled by obviously flash musicianship. The days when you bought an album, weren't sure about it at first, but after repeated listens it became a thing of wonder (Radiohead: OK Computer for example) seem to have gone, and now it's about grabbing someone in the first few seconds or they move on to something else on the iPod or Spotify.

This probably reads as a bit self-pitying because I'm in a similar mood to you at the moment - but ultimately Tone is right - I expect I'll dust myself off tomorrow and get on with it again.
Youth & enthusiasm are no match for age and treachery.

Ramshackles

• Global Moderator
  • Stadium Tour
  • https://soundcloud.com/ramshackles
    • Ramshackles @ Facebook
« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2012, 08:29:23 AM »
If you are upset about no one hearing your music, go out and get people to hear it :D Play live, make a CD, send it to radio stations etc etc whatever.

If the fact that no one is listening to your music makes you want to give up, do you really love music? :D

Kafla

« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2012, 09:47:28 AM »
Just enjoy it Andy - we've all been there

I booked a wee half day yesterday for some music time - I sent 3 hours mixing a song going round in circles and at the end I had to scrap eveything - relaxing it was not

But it's got me closer to where I need to be

It's spiritual I think, playing & writing -  like the idea that even if it's just your family or Freinds your songs can make an impact

I am hoping my children cheerish my songs - if my dad had handed down something like this I would be very happy

'making it' shouldn't be the end goal in my opinion - just make the best music you can :)

andy5544

• Platinum Album
« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2012, 11:59:24 AM »
Thanks everyone for your wise words of encouragement , even after starting this thread yesterday morning ,last night i was sat in my little room working out things for the next song ,
it's better than sitting in front of the box watching  the latest piece of reality garbage on tv.
as far as getting out and playing live goes i really wouldn't be able to fit it in ,i have to work to keep the roof over our heads , a couple of hours in the evening is all i have spare and i know how hard you have to practice to get a band sounding half decent,
 so i think i'm over my wobble now , thanks guys  ;D

hofnerite

• Open Mic
« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2012, 11:41:33 AM »
I only usually get that feeling when recording and not being able to produce what I can hear in my head well enough.
I don't think I could ever really get fed up with the whole writing part. At least I haven't so far in 18 years.

I'm going to be harsh but I'd say if your heart is not in something, don't do it. Even if it's just for a week. Songwriting is not like working in a factory, you are doing it because you enjoy it. Maybe if you are not enjoying it, it's best not to force yourself until you feel the urge again. I pick up the guitar pretty much every day but I often find I am more creative after not playing it for a few days because I missed it.

For me, I haven't given up on my ambition to be a professional songwriter (writing for artists) even though everyone I know wouldn't put £1 on me achieving that. I know in my heart I can do it and for me it's all about writing better and better songs, perfecting the craft because I know that inside me is at least one song that could be successful. Maybe it won't happen for 10 years, maybe never but I am not going to stop until I have exhausted all of my options.

The Corsair

• Platinum Album
  • I'm the latest model Johnny
« Reply #10 on: March 18, 2012, 12:01:12 PM »
I understand the feeling. I can't say I've overly experienced it though. I had a few brushes with it last year when I found I was out of a band that had only played two gigs anyway but all in all it wasn't that bad.

The way I decide to look at it is from the other angle. If it wasn't for this forum I'd still be doing a few of the same old things. I'd be sitting around writing the odd song, revealing them to a trusted few and getting literally nothing in terms of feedback (friends rarely want to offend).

I was in the band when I found this forum but frankly it gave me a place where I could post lyrics for review and get some feedback from people who knew more than I did and were a combination of realistic and encouraging. Honestly, had it not been for that I wouldn't have had the confidence to put lyrics forward to the band shamelessly, I would have gone 'I dunno, I like them I guess' and so forth and littered every proposal with qualifiers to avoid judgement.

Because of this place I can wear my songs proudly, even if they're not as good as they could be.

Point number two is a bit different.

if you believe your music has a message that deserves to be heard then the world is a wide open place with wide open ears. if you're stuck thinking 'what's the point?' then need to sort yourself into one of two categories.
1 - It's a hobby and/or outlet and you do it because of the personal satisfaction, though you may also enjoy the extra satisfaction of other people listening to it.
2 - It's something you want to do as more than a hobby, in which case you need to fight for it. If the circumstances don't allow for you to pursue your music in any way other than a hobby then change your circumstances. If you're in a band start making big pushes and serious moves. Record an album. Whether or not it goes anywhere is irrelevant, record another. Keep at it. You may never make it but you definitely won't unless you kick and scream.
Defective Elector

S.T.C

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #11 on: March 18, 2012, 03:21:24 PM »
we all need to look at the type of music we`re trying to create.......if having a hit song or commercial success is important.....
i`ve been on a couple of songwriting sites and the song submissions vary in quality , but one thing always stands out(a lot of the time),,,it`s old hat.
, sorry if that sounds harsh....but the 70`s have gone.....i don`t mean lets all get into hiphop or rap, but think up something that todays market will want......i have a song and if i found a couple of young black and white kids....with a boy and a girl that could sing,paid good musicians to do the music,and paid a production company the money to do a vid, stuck it on youtube and itunes.i think it would do well,but i haven`t  got that sort of money to experiment with at the moment....the songs called ice cream girl and it would be aimed at the 10 to16 yr old music fan. 8)

tone

• Administrator
  • Stadium Tour
  • Forum Former Führer
  • The People's Democratic Republic of Songwriting
    • Anthony Lane on soundcloud
« Reply #12 on: March 19, 2012, 09:17:44 AM »
I hear what you're saying songsthatcry, but not all of us want to appeal to 10 year olds. Personally I'm of the opinion that good songwriting is never old hat. Production styles come and go like hairstyles, but good songwriting remains good songwriting.

Also, most of us are in the same boat as you: we don't have heaps of cash to throw at our music projects, so most of them end up as solo projects where we do nearly everything.

The problem with thinking up "something that today's market will want" is that by the time you get anywhere with it, the market will have moved on. I find this a very cynical approach to making music, and one that's destined to produce music that lacks the most important ingredient (for me): authenticity.

The more artists that play to 'the market' (which lets face it is wholly dictated by CEOs and execs who know little about music and a lot about marketing) the longer this dry spell in pop music is going to continue.

A case in point. Listen to Gotye's somebody you used to know song and compare it to Rihanna's new song. The former has energy, sparkle, originality, melody, imagination. Rihanna is predictable, insipid, repetitive and more than a little boring.
New EP: Straitjacket - Listen here

1st track from my upcoming album -- Click to listen -- Thanks!

Please read the rules before posting in the feedback forums http://bit.l

andy5544

• Platinum Album
« Reply #13 on: March 19, 2012, 07:36:31 PM »
I hear what you're saying songsthatcry, but not all of us want to appeal to 10 year olds. Personally I'm of the opinion that good songwriting is never old hat. Production styles come and go like hairstyles, but good songwriting remains good songwriting.

Also, most of us are in the same boat as you: we don't have heaps of cash to throw at our music projects, so most of them end up as solo projects where we do nearly everything.

The problem with thinking up "something that today's market will want" is that by the time you get anywhere with it, the market will have moved on. I find this a very cynical approach to making music, and one that's destined to produce music that lacks the most important ingredient (for me): authenticity.

The more artists that play to 'the market' (which lets face it is wholly dictated by CEOs and execs who know little about music and a lot about marketing) the longer this dry spell in pop music is going to continue.

A case in point. Listen to Gotye's somebody you used to know song and compare it to Rihanna's new song. The former has energy, sparkle, originality, melody, imagination. Rihanna is predictable, insipid, repetitive and more than a little boring.

totally agree , well said that man !!

S.T.C

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #14 on: March 19, 2012, 08:29:44 PM »

Well i hear you as well..i did make the point that if you want success,something that appeals to todays market is probably what we need to write.....i`m not a big fan of modern music,most of my cds are form the 60`s to the nineties ...bought the fleetfoxes and smoke faries last yr,,which are good modern....i`m not sure the good old days are coming back?,theres still  plenty of good bands out there,.good music hasn`t died...but its`like you say, in the hands of money making executives .

Maybe i am being cynical ,maybe this site nurtures the spirit of the arts and crafts movement(i watch floggit)....
I want to achieve some sort of success as a songwriter,if i can....and i`m afraid i look at the popular market and i think like simon cowell.....i used to write all sorts of stuff,even got an epic one called `gavreal, the giver of gold...probably longer than freebird .

I don`t want to write for 10/16 yr olds,,but this tune came into my head and i wrote the lyrics ,and thats the age group that will enjoy it...and the ones that could make me a few quid......to me thats song writing....i`m not stuck in any particular genre..but thats me.