"Ever Since Syd "

• 9 Replies

Songsmith

• Solo Gig
  • If you can feel, you can write!!
« on: March 02, 2012, 06:42:45 PM »
Hi All,

http://soundcloud.com/toph-smith/ever-since-syd

this is a song which may fool some of you for thinking it is about Syd Barret, well it certainly is not. It is about  someone called Syd (how bloody obvious is that!!!) who my mother shacked up with many many years ago, resulting in it affecting my sister, who became very bitter & jealous & resentful. Rather cruelly I have been inspired to write this. She absolutely loves it btw & I haven't told her that it is about her, yet, I will wait for a family wedding/funeral/christmas to break the news........... sounds like a great theme for a Mike Leigh film!!!

Please note the slight craziness in my voice is for effect & without the aid of Autotune or what the hell it's called, lol

LET'S STOP ALL THE UNPLEASANTNESS

WHEN? WHEN?
WHEN? WHEN?
WHEN WAS THE TIME?

WONT YOU TELL ME ABOUT YOUR TIME?

EVER SINCE SYD, EVER SINCE SYD

WHEN? WHEN?
WHEN? WHEN?
WHEN? WHEN?
WHEN? WHEN?
WHEN? WHEN?

WHEN WAS THE TIME?
TELL ME WHAT'S ON YOUR MIND?
EVER SINCE SYD
ALL THE EVIL YOU CAN FIND
EVER SINCE SYD

WHEN WAS THE TIME?
ALL THE TROUBLES IN YOUR MIND
EVER SINCE SYD
FEEDS ALL THE EVIL YOU CAN FIND
EVER SINCE SYD
EVER SINCE SYD
EVER SINCE SYD
EVER SINCE SYD
EVER SINCE SYD
EVER SINCE SYD

Dutchbeat

« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2012, 07:11:43 PM »
Songsmith, very relaxed about heavy stuff
that contrast is a great idea

good work, Songsmith
certainly not to many words spend, but effective..

to turn feelings like that into music like this, much respect for that songwriting kind

James Nighthawk

• Stadium Tour
    • www.facebook.com/jamesnighthawk
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2012, 08:16:28 PM »
Sparse and atmospheric. Great balance of sounds. Enjoying the naked Sax especially (pretty sure it is a sax, but I have never been great at picking out woodwind/brass sounds in a mix)

For me, it is a bit too sparse. This allows the instruments to take turns with their solos, granted (and oft lovely solos they are too!). But it makes the song more of a show case for the players than a song unto-itself. But this is naturally a taste thing, and you have clearly written it the way you wanted it!

And perhaps the intro, which clocks in just under one minute, could do with some kind of hook or build to help lessen the gap before the vocal first enters. But again, this is linked with the sparse vibe you have so clearly aimed for!

Pleasant Friday evening listening :)
www.facebook.com/jamesnighthawk
Twitter @JamesNighthawk

Schavuitje

• Stadium Tour
    • Camera Shy
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2012, 08:52:50 PM »
Woah! Lovely mate. The sax was beautiful and I love the notes you picked out vocally on the "when" bit. Especially that third note in

and that dropped chord that follows those first "when's" beautiful.

I read what you wrote about it not being about Syd Barrett and then immediately got the Floyd vibe from the music hahaha

So for Floyd fans it will definately work in that way whether you like it or not haha  ;D

Loved every second of this. Fabulous.

The only bit I didn't like was the very end. That military sounding brass.

But genuis mate.

You are a gifted chap indeed. :)

There are holes in the sky where the rain gets in  , but they're ever so small, that's why rain is thin.

Dutchbeat

« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2012, 09:21:40 PM »
yes, i agree

i love every second of this

..only do question the ending..the brass..a bit

but also realised there is a story, a real story

but now that thief and burglar, schavuitje brought it up..

is that ending needed? the point is clear (lyrics), but these last measures may sort of neutralize the understated clearness that is already in the song
and i am serious

did i just say?: "sort of neutralize the understated clearness that is already in the song..."

i need a (songwriting) holliday

just wanted to say again: i really like this kind of songwriting!

nooms

• Global Moderator
  • Stadium Tour
  • songwriter
« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2012, 02:50:00 AM »

absolutely love it
knockout in slow motion
in my head on the outro the vocal line turned into 'ever sincere..' which i mumbled along with till i realised..
i like the ending, perfect
id buy this
top, as we say in the souf'

nooms
i may not believe this tomorrow...

https://soundcloud.com/nooms-1

Schavuitje

• Stadium Tour
    • Camera Shy
« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2012, 03:18:01 AM »
 ;D
There are holes in the sky where the rain gets in  , but they're ever so small, that's why rain is thin.

Songsmith

• Solo Gig
« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2012, 10:04:04 AM »
Thanx Dutch, Schavuitje, James & Nooms,

Some kind words & good points there.

James, you have got me completely fascinated on what you could have thought the alternative to the sax ( a real one ) could possibly have been!!!!! lol

Dutch &  Schavuitje,

the brass bit at the end is "The Last Post" which played when someone is laid to rest in military terms & to remember the dead. The person this song is referring to is also dead so I used this idea to make closure on the song & indeed closure to my sisters negative thoughts. It could also apply to Syd Barrett if people want it to, lol

& hey Nooms, if you can sell one copy you can have one for yourself free, this week I am doing a buy one get one free offer, lol, only jokng of course, Cheers mate & I love that "sincere " bit you're hearing  :) :) :) :) :) :) :)

cheff daniel

• Solo Gig
  • ...?
« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2012, 01:09:49 PM »
brilliant!

gr.  Dan

Songsmith

• Solo Gig
« Reply #9 on: March 03, 2012, 01:13:10 PM »
brilliant!

Lol, cheers Dan & so are you mate!!