Just released a single, would love to hear what you guys think!

• 8 Replies

mikefleck

• Busker
« on: March 01, 2012, 07:41:16 PM »
About half a year ago I posted a video of me playing this song acoustically. Now its a fully fledged single!
You can download it for free by clicking buy then enter 0 into the box and its yours! Would really love to hear what you guys think of the finished article!

http://mikefleck.bandcamp.com/
« Last Edit: March 02, 2012, 12:47:39 PM by mikefleck »

Ramshackles

• Global Moderator
  • Stadium Tour
  • https://soundcloud.com/ramshackles
    • Ramshackles @ Facebook
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2012, 01:18:29 PM »
Great quality, love the acoustic guitar rhythm....
In terms of songwriting, it's very pleasant and nice...I could kind of predict where it was going to go and Im not sure thats a great thing.
Some of the chord changes are great and the rhythm has me tapping along. I think the main thing holding it back were the lyrics...they didnt really 'do it' for me; sounded like they were just what you could get to fit the tune and seemed pretty generic.

My review is a little too harsh, apologies; but the better the music, the harsher the critique  ::)

Great singing, great playing, nice production :D

pmarino

• Open Mic
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2012, 05:33:02 PM »
Pleasing sound. Nice vocal, but I do agree with Ramshackles that it doesn't reach out and grab me. That said, the band is tight and the production is strong. I do hope it's a hit for you!

mikefleck

• Busker
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2012, 11:36:34 PM »
Thanks for the feedback guys, lots to note there! As far as lyrics go, personally this song is a really honest account of something that happened in my life and in my knowledge of mainstream songwriting not many people write from the point of view of the aggressor in a relationship, as far as generic goes, I can definitely see what you would mean if the chorus is anything to go by, its just meant to be a general declaration of how i felt at the time, I guess i could have been stronger lyrically there yeah, less literal..however i guess I would naturally disagree with you in the verses and pre-choruses. I'm really proud of those lyrics, I particularly like "I'm teaching myself lessons in a combat style designed to fool you".

But thats not to say I wont take anything youve said on board theres plenty duley noted there. And I'm not forgetting the kind words youve said toward the track by no means! I know my style isnt to everyones taste, yeah its nice to hear positive feedback thats why we use these forums; for some form of recognition... but at the end of the day i write these songs to get what im feeling off my chest.

Sjoerd_H

• Busker
    • Soundcloud profile
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2012, 03:35:43 PM »
You got an really relaxing sound. Nice vocals too. Looking forward to new songs from you!

mihkay

• Platinum Album
  • Tune first....Lyrics long, long way second.
    • Mihkay Demos
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2012, 01:44:05 PM »
Lyrics I can't comment on because I don't really hear them on any song, because I'm grabbed by music and how the shape of the words, melody and instrumentation fit together.
And this does grab me.  :)
It's in a style that I love, Prefab Sproutish and reminiscent one of my favourite artists at the moment, Josh Woodward who is making a reasonable splash out there in WWW-land.

Not advice or comments on playing or production. Great song in my opinion. So good luck.  8)
I have no authority or standing here, only opinions. :-)

mikefleck

• Busker
« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2012, 06:15:48 PM »
Thanks very much man! Kind words indeed! I've had the prefab sprout comparison before, thats interesting I'll need to check em out. I just got some airplay on scottish radio so thats a plus!

Paul

• Platinum Album
  • "There are moments of magic, of beautiful peace!"
« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2012, 06:33:32 PM »
This is excellent.  It's extremely well written. It's melodic, vocals are very good and the chorus lift is superb.  I don't find it predictable at all!  Very, very accomplished writing and performance.

Well done and good luck!

bewarethisboy

• Platinum Album
« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2012, 06:36:19 PM »
This really worked for me - I hope it does for you too (in terms of sales). Its on my ipod now (yes i still have one of those) and I look forward to hearing it again soon. Good luck with it.

BTB
not really good at anything - but as long as I am breathing I will keep on trying