synthesizer music is dead - identity crisis - OK -

• 11 Replies

Dutchbeat

« on: February 29, 2012, 07:33:10 PM »
I hope it is ok to put my

old school synthesizer song called OK
up here (main part, high synthy notes on a Microkorg)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sdepS7tA3as

once more, sorry

because i wonder...this is one is more of the old fashioned , turning knobs while you play, synthesizer thing, but know i moved on, or trying to, just because i had to, but I miss the feel of the physical hardware,

very well repected forum members like schavuitje ask me what VTSi's i use... so cleary physical synthesizers are dead, the machines always were, but synthesizer players are no longer needed in bands, it is over, no need for real craftman ship in that area
not at all

oh man

i am still getting over this ending
« Last Edit: February 29, 2012, 07:37:12 PM by Dutchbeat »

estreet

• Solo Gig
« Reply #1 on: February 29, 2012, 08:01:12 PM »
I've got a Microkorg too .... haven't used it much but keep thinking I will one day.
Youth & enthusiasm are no match for age and treachery.

Schavuitje

• Stadium Tour
    • Camera Shy
« Reply #2 on: February 29, 2012, 08:13:09 PM »
Hahaha That just shows my complete ignorance when it comes to keyboards  :P

I assume because that's what I have to do, that's what everyone does. So keyboards can work without them... amazing  ;D ;D

I can imagine to someone who's first instrument is synths that these sounds are very nostalgic and cool but to me they just sound so dated,

but not particularly in a good way. Sorry haha probably because I'm a guitarist  :P

The sounds I've heard on your later stuff are great though ( to me at least ) and was wondering how it is your doing that. Whether by vst's or

maybe newer keyboards? I suspect vst's though  :P Was just trying to learn from you mate because when it comes to keyboards, you're the man  ;)

That's progress my friend. Or not maybe, depending on where you are looking at it from :)

I have every sympathy for you though, I feel the same way about guitar sounds. The sounds of the 60's and some 70's were just the best.

Now to the song hehehe. Despite the horrible old sounding keyboards  :P ;D I always enjoy your songs mate. I like the way you expermient (in this one also) with different

sounds and melodies. You always keep it interesting. The arrengement is pretty cool in this song. There's a lot of effort gone into getting all the sounds right and the breaks right.

The vocals were a bit wishy washy which made them very hard to follow but the effect is cool.

Cheer up mate. I'm sure there's plenty of people who would agree with you completely about those old synth sounds  ;D

p.s. There's craftmanship in using vst's too isn't there? Just because the violin sound (forexample) is a vst's rather than coming from inside your synth

you still have to tweak it to get the right sound and you still have to play it - with bends and all. At least that's what I have been doing.

I'm not talking about samples that you copy and paste.
« Last Edit: February 29, 2012, 08:30:58 PM by Schavuitje »
There are holes in the sky where the rain gets in  , but they're ever so small, that's why rain is thin.

Dutchbeat

« Reply #3 on: February 29, 2012, 08:29:39 PM »
nice little machine, e-street!

the old analogue synthesizer options in a digital format, twist those knobs while playing!

but, my point is, that that is is over, done, no need for it anymoe

you would agree, saying you even haven't even used this cute machine
ever
aaaah

and Thanks, Schavuitje (jij, boef!) but i just have to get over this (another) identity crisis ONCE MORE, i started playing in bands on a Korg, venbefore midi and serious computer options existed, and everytime i have to catch up again
(yes, that is how old i am)

but i love the hobby to much to stop, so thanks Schavuitje,
i will let you in on all the (outdated) secrets i know

estreet

• Solo Gig
« Reply #4 on: February 29, 2012, 08:35:39 PM »
Yeah I get it out and play with it every now and then and then I put it back (The Microkorg!)
Sorry, my last post wasn't really a review was it... I was just thinking aloud.

Enjoyed your song and video - loved the drum fill at the end and the zeeeeowwwngy sounds..... The shouts of 'OK!!'
Is it OK that I found your existential anthem quite cheerful?

Youth & enthusiasm are no match for age and treachery.

Schavuitje

• Stadium Tour
    • Camera Shy
« Reply #5 on: February 29, 2012, 08:42:27 PM »
boef! hahaha ;D
There are holes in the sky where the rain gets in  , but they're ever so small, that's why rain is thin.

Dutchbeat

« Reply #6 on: February 29, 2012, 08:57:14 PM »
thanks for your suppport
very much appreciated, e-street and Schavuitje

that weird man with the blindfold shouting Ok is old Mr. Dutchbeat

although i am getting old (and big  ;D)
and i did give in, im not ready to stop making music yet, or ever,
and in my case that jut has to be "synthesizer" music, or what is left of it

so any questions about VTSis, or other things related to electronic sounds whatsoever, i am ready to answer them!

still standing!!!   8)

thanks for listening

jim morrison

• Platinum Album
« Reply #7 on: February 29, 2012, 10:24:37 PM »
Great tune Dutchbeat - you got mad skillz man
Learner guitarist

Songsmith

• Solo Gig
  • If you can feel, you can write!!
« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2012, 09:23:12 AM »
Hiya Dutch,

great track, great energy, great sounds too, I think you should not forget about twiddling yer knobs, there is still a place for them.

As a bit of a purist, I still haven't heard a string or piano sound that convinces me otherwise & I have heard the so called best but we all need & use them,

My vote is keep your physical synthesizer out of the cupboard.

cheff daniel

• Solo Gig
  • ...?
« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2012, 09:46:29 AM »
pretty good song dutchbeat, and a proper use of that synth. not overdone but very tastefull. listening again its a very catchy tune too.

gr.   Dan

James Nighthawk

• Stadium Tour
    • www.facebook.com/jamesnighthawk
« Reply #10 on: March 02, 2012, 02:26:34 AM »
Hardware synths are not dead. Bands bring them through my rehearsal and recording studios all the time. For live use they are far more reliable than VSTs (keep the computers away from Live I say!). The only main hardware substitute is the iPad. Hell, I am waiting for Wednesday: Apple's keynote address and the iPad 3/HD will likely finally snare me!

This is a well put together song with good pop hooks and a great consistent feel. And classic wide synth sounds.

My main issue was with the vocals. They weren't right for me. The pitching wasn't great - which is always more important with pitch perfect synth sounds! - and the performance (or perhaps production) made them play second fiddle to the backing track, which made the whole track feel more like a tech thing than a song. But perhaps that was what you were going for??

J :)

www.facebook.com/jamesnighthawk
Twitter @JamesNighthawk

Ramshackles

• Global Moderator
  • Stadium Tour
  • https://soundcloud.com/ramshackles
    • Ramshackles @ Facebook
« Reply #11 on: March 02, 2012, 01:24:12 PM »
Did you get David Bowie to sing it for you?

All the funny shouting/noises made the song a bit comedic. Cool sounds from your synth :D

Hardware synths live on; Gotye uses them & sample things for his tracks: