InnerDream new EPIC - Fragarach (The Answerer)

• 10 Replies

innerdream

• Busker
    • InnerDream Facebook page
« on: February 28, 2012, 04:24:26 PM »
Hi all - hope everyone is well on this day!

I've uploaded another EPIC track on youtube for you folk to have a listen to, critique, praise/bash!

http://youtu.be/fYT0_qVWgoo

Its a long 11 minute track with lots of twists and turns so hopefully stays interesting throughout the duration

Your comments and feedback are as always, most welcome

Cheers

Paul

Schavuitje

• Stadium Tour
    • Camera Shy
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2012, 04:49:00 PM »
Hiya :)

I would really have to be in a certain mood to listen to this kind of stuff and to be honest

the lyrics (for me) do nothing.

I used to listen a lot to bands like Rainbow, Deep Purple, Iron Maiden, Dream Theater etc... And I can hear huge elements

of these kind of bands in this... but that was twenty years ago. Back then it seemed great and powerful, all those lyrics about swords and God's

and flights of fantasy. Do people still listen to that?

There are some really good licks and riffs in this, one of them in particular that sounds very much like Glasgow Kiss or is it Damage Control by John Petrucci? and of course the obligaotry guitars playing in unison but it's all so dated and unoriginal... sorry :(

That's just the way I see it.

I can't knock it as a composition though. You are abviously a very adept guitar player. Would like to hear something that sounds like you :)

Maybe I'm worng and this stuff still gets lots of attention.
There are holes in the sky where the rain gets in  , but they're ever so small, that's why rain is thin.

innerdream

• Busker
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2012, 04:54:59 PM »
Hiya :)

I would really have to be in a certain mood to listen to this kind of stuff and to be honest

the lyrics (for me) do nothing.

I used to listen a lot to bands like Rainbow, Deep Purple, Iron Maiden, Dream Theater etc... And I can hear huge elements

of these kind of bands in this... but that was twenty years ago. Back then it seemed great and powerful, all those lyrics about swords and God's

and flights of fantasy. Do people still listen to that?

There are some really good licks and riffs in this, one of them in particular that sounds very much like Glasgow Kiss or is it Damage Control by John Petrucci? and of course the obligaotry guitars playing in unison but it's all so dated and unoriginal... sorry :(

That's just the way I see it.

I can't knock it as a composition though. You are abviously a very adept guitar player. Would like to hear something that sounds like you :)

Maybe I'm worng and this stuff still gets lots of attention.

Many thanks for the detailed reply - you made some great points

Those influences you listed obviously have had a big influence on my writing both music and lyrics so my music will always gravitate towards this style - if I were doing any other genre it wouldnt feel right as this is who I'am musically! I don't pay any attention whatsoever to musical trends and I just write what I write and try to make the best of it!

I just can't help layering those guitars!

Schavuitje

• Stadium Tour
    • Camera Shy
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2012, 05:10:10 PM »
 ;D That's fair enough and a good point. If that's what you feel comfortable doing then it's what you need to stick to :)

I still think there's room for you though. Right now it sounds like you are doing a great impression of being all those other bands.

Stick to what suits you and what you feel comfortable with but make it your own.

I'm sorry if my review seemed negative. I do find it hard sometimes to get what I mean across :)

There are holes in the sky where the rain gets in  , but they're ever so small, that's why rain is thin.

innerdream

• Busker
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2012, 05:15:02 PM »
;D That's fair enough and a good point. If that's what you feel comfortable doing then it's what you need to stick to :)

I still think there's room for you though. Right now it sounds like you are doing a great impression of being all those other bands.

Stick to what suits you and what you feel comfortable with but make it your own.

I'm sorry if my review seemed negative. I do find it hard sometimes to get what I mean across :)

No problem at all, I didnt find the review negative at all, just your honest opinions. which is what were all here for - it would be a boring world if we all liked the same things!

I have branched out on a couple of my tracks which you may like a bit more, specifically an acoustic song which is on my youtube page, called The Lost Words Of A Poet - I did enjoy that one even though I dont usually write and record an entire song on the acoustic!

Schavuitje

• Stadium Tour
    • Camera Shy
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2012, 05:25:49 PM »
Actually mate. My best advice would be to repeat the words of John Paul Jones (Bass player Led Zeppelin).

I cannot stress enough how important it is to listen to all types of music. Even the ones you're not that into.

If you are a blues player and you only listen to blues then when you play you will sound like evey other blues player there has

ever been and nothing will be unique.

If you are a blues player and you listen to tons of stuff outside of blues. That will start to reflect in how you play the blues and it will make your sound

unique.

Just a thought :)

innerdream

• Busker
« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2012, 11:21:47 PM »
Actually mate. My best advice would be to repeat the words of John Paul Jones (Bass player Led Zeppelin).

I cannot stress enough how important it is to listen to all types of music. Even the ones you're not that into.

If you are a blues player and you only listen to blues then when you play you will sound like evey other blues player there has

ever been and nothing will be unique.

If you are a blues player and you listen to tons of stuff outside of blues. That will start to reflect in how you play the blues and it will make your sound

unique.

Just a thought :)

Agreed - some wise words spoken there  :)

Songsmith

• Solo Gig
  • If you can feel, you can write!!
« Reply #7 on: February 29, 2012, 12:01:40 AM »
Hi Paul,

this is definitely NOT my kinda stuff but on saying that I really must say that it is really well played, recorded & produced & well done you are the first person that has achieved my listening all the way through this sort of track & it's 11 minutes long!!
On saying all that, I loved the industrial drums & feel at the start, nice one :)

nooms

• Global Moderator
  • Stadium Tour
  • songwriter
« Reply #8 on: February 29, 2012, 12:30:45 AM »

very accomplished and your totally into it, i love that
but i cant get a handle i can hang on to,
like the bus drivers frantic and no regard for his passengers...
im sure youve got an audience/listeners who love your stuff, its wonderfully played, so many ideas but leaves me in tatters...
i wish you well with it though...
i may not believe this tomorrow...

https://soundcloud.com/nooms-1

innerdream

• Busker
« Reply #9 on: February 29, 2012, 09:12:45 AM »
Hi Paul,

this is definitely NOT my kinda stuff but on saying that I really must say that it is really well played, recorded & produced & well done you are the first person that has achieved my listening all the way through this sort of track & it's 11 minutes long!!
On saying all that, I loved the industrial drums & feel at the start, nice one :)

thanks for the listen, I know this stuff isnt for everyone (especially songs of this length) so I'm glad you managaed to stay for the duration

Yes, I also thought the industrial leanings at the beginning parts of the song helped the musical dynamics!

Cheers

innerdream

• Busker
« Reply #10 on: February 29, 2012, 09:14:09 AM »

very accomplished and your totally into it, i love that
but i cant get a handle i can hang on to,
like the bus drivers frantic and no regard for his passengers...
im sure youve got an audience/listeners who love your stuff, its wonderfully played, so many ideas but leaves me in tatters...
i wish you well with it though...

I agree to a point, it probably will need a few listens to digest the song fully, there is a lot going on but hopefully as you said in your reply, my enthusiasm shines through throughout the song