Kauto Star

• 11 Replies

Cameron Fielding

• Busker
« on: February 26, 2012, 06:16:20 PM »
Hi everybody,

I've been away for a while. Got back and just completed this one.

Some of the members in the UK might recognise the title and thus theme of this song. I wrote this in reaction to the horse's record fifth win in the King George on Boxing Day.

http://soundclick.com/share.cfm?id=11467535

KAUTO STAR

V1   Yesterday’s heroes are always in mind
   And the next generation follow behind
   Ever running willing to serve
   Witness the legends, the kings of the turf

Then along today
   A handsome chasing bay

CH   We are invincible, we are a star
   Fly over ditches, the fences, and the bars
   To the cries of thousands of voices
   To the line with a willing heart
   We are Kauto Star

V2   Off to the races we’re ready to go
   Only thing will stop us is four feet of snow
   Haydock and Kempton then Cheltenham in March
   A caravan of horses, the travelling show

By the stands a parade
   The heaving balustrades

CH   Repeat.

Songsmith

• Solo Gig
  • If you can feel, you can write!!
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2012, 10:30:33 PM »
Hi & yes I am very familiar with Kauto Star, I never thought I would hear a song about a racehorse, a first for me so thanks. The main vocal had a wee bit too much reverb on it so it felt very distant in the mix but apart from that it was very nice, well sung & played. :)

Cameron Fielding

• Busker
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2012, 11:08:14 PM »
Hi & yes I am very familiar with Kauto Star, I never thought I would hear a song about a racehorse, a first for me so thanks. The main vocal had a wee bit too much reverb on it so it felt very distant in the mix but apart from that it was very nice, well sung & played. :)

Thanks mate. I do struggle with reverb depth in some of my songs, the final mp3 always seems to come out wetter than the monitoring. Bit of a swine no matter how much I fiddle with it, and inconsistent.

I do try and write songs away from the standard themes, provides an opportunity to use words and phrases that are less common.

andy5544

• Platinum Album
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2012, 12:03:07 AM »
Very nice , sounds like Mark Knopfler , put a bit of guitar picking in there and bobs yer uncle  ;D
I wanted to be a hippy....but my mum wouldn't let me !!

Beware the JudDeRMan when the moon grows FAT !!!!!!!!

Schavuitje

• Stadium Tour
    • Camera Shy
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2012, 01:12:08 AM »
For some reason I couldn't get it to play  :( Will try again tomorrow.
There are holes in the sky where the rain gets in  , but they're ever so small, that's why rain is thin.

James Nighthawk

• Stadium Tour
    • www.facebook.com/jamesnighthawk
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2012, 02:59:45 PM »
Very pretty and refrained execution. A nice open mix leaving the song to speak for itself. Which is why you must mix the vocal higher and less wet! There is good a good song here, don't make people have to focus to hear it!  :)

An acoustic guitar motif entering half way through on one speaker would be lovely if you have access to a player

The intro is a tad too long for my liking. Either add a melodic motif, or get to the song quicker!

James :)
www.facebook.com/jamesnighthawk
Twitter @JamesNighthawk

Kafla

« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2012, 05:38:16 PM »
I like this Cameron - you have such an unique style  - retro but not vintage retro

Hats off for writing a song about this , and it works - it shouldn't but it does

I really admire this kind of lyric - I am always lost in my own little world when I write and could never be so direct  ;D

estreet

• Solo Gig
« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2012, 07:35:41 PM »
I never thought I would hear a song about a racehorse, a first for me so thanks.

What about 'Long shot kick the bucket' oh and 'Camptown Races' lol.

Yes, refreshingly different and rather nice ... Agree there's too much reverb.
Youth & enthusiasm are no match for age and treachery.

Cameron Fielding

• Busker
« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2012, 09:02:05 PM »
Thanks for your responses everybody. On reflection I agree with the common consensus that the vocal reverb is too wet and the vocal itself should be lifted a bit in the mix.

James, yes, an accoustic sidekick at some point would be great. I kind of heard that in the final throes of completing it, but I'm a pianist and not good enough at guitar to do it. If only.

Schavuitje

• Stadium Tour
    • Camera Shy
« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2012, 09:59:50 PM »
I could get it working this time :)

I enjoyed this a lot. When I first read the lyrics I wondered how it would sound and to be honest

it's perfect. Everyones right about the vocal as you have acknowledged but for me I agree about the intro

being too long as well.

Apart from that though, it's a really well written song and really pleasing to listen to.

Nice one  ;D
There are holes in the sky where the rain gets in  , but they're ever so small, that's why rain is thin.

Paul

• Platinum Album
  • "There are moments of magic, of beautiful peace!"
« Reply #10 on: February 28, 2012, 05:13:44 PM »
Hi Cameron,

I enjoy listening to songs that are written around a theme that you don't hear every day, so well done there.  This has a lovely relaxed feel.  It might benefit from a shorter intro.  I think the piano dominates a little though it is quite lovely.  Perhaps this wouldn't be as noticeable if the vocal was more prominent.  Still, it's a well written song overall and I especially enjoyed the chorus..

Thanks for sharing.

Best wishes
Paul

nooms

• Global Moderator
  • Stadium Tour
  • songwriter
« Reply #11 on: February 29, 2012, 12:17:52 AM »
hi cameron,
nicely surprised by the melody and the dreamlike piano feel. 
i read the lyric first and expected something entirely different with uptempo hurdles and turf flying ..

think the intro could be simpler...
like the melody & very nice lift when the chorus comes in and found it quite moving, generates a head movie...real shame the vocals so low, almost like your singing it in the house next door..
you must bring out the vocal cos the songs a winner ..

nooms
i may not believe this tomorrow...

https://soundcloud.com/nooms-1