konalavadome

Song vs. Recording?

• 15 Replies

estreet

• Solo Gig
« on: February 26, 2012, 01:52:48 PM »
I'm actually starting this thread because of a point Dan made in a review when he said this was turning into recording forum rather than a song-writing one. I started musing on his statement there and then realised it was not the right place to do it.

Although I started the thread I don't really have a fixed opinion myself. I think he makes a valid point, yet I do have mixed feelings about it. There's an old adage that a great song should sound great just with an acoustic guitar and a single voice, and although I do have some sympathy with that idea, I don't think it's really true of all contemporary music. Sometimes, the sounds and the recording combine with quite a stripped-down composition, yet still create a great track. In this case the studio becomes part of the composition. Also, I, like many others like to hear feedback on how my mixes are coming across to listeners.

But - and it's a big 'but' - I think one has to be careful of being elitist. We are all working with what gear we can muster and I wouldn't want the person who is recording on their ancient Portastudio or even their phone to feel lesser about posting their work. For this reason, I do wince a bit when I see comments about tracks needing real drums or real strings when that just isn't an option for a lot of people.

I'm privileged in that most of my stuff is recorded with real drums or an electronic kit and done in a room set aside for the purpose. However, when I started, many years ago, I was in my bedroom hiring a drum machine for the day, bouncing between two cassette decks to overdub and using the reverb on my guitar amp for the vocals. Actually, I might post some of the stuff I recorded like that just to level the playing field a bit.

Anyway, I have no conclusions - I'm interested in what others think.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2012, 02:47:56 PM by estreet »
Youth & enthusiasm are no match for age and treachery.

James Nighthawk

• Stadium Tour
    • www.facebook.com/jamesnighthawk
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2012, 02:22:09 PM »
Hey estreet, good thread topic.

I am new here and I am in a very odd position. Like yourself I am very privileged, heck, I own and run my own studio and I am a professional producer! I asked day one on this forum what I should do regarding forum reviews on here considering my knowledge, and was given some very good advice for the people on here :)

So far I have concluded that I should focus on the song, and keep all production hints as a separate section in my review. Equally, when I do provided advice on sound, I try to help people to improve from what they have to hand. I have mentioned the "real" drums thing once or twice I think, but I was careful to point out that it is indeed a luxury.

Just because you only have a laptop and a guitar doesn't mean you can't change mic position, room sound, EQ on the mix etc... And these tricks will only help people push their sound forward, helping them (and the listener) enjoy future mixes, and - by extension - their future songs, even more!

I am focusing on the writing, but it would be almost silly for me not to provide people with hints on their home recordings, when this is my area of expertise. I will continue to keep the two separate though :)
www.facebook.com/jamesnighthawk
Twitter @JamesNighthawk

tone

• Administrator
  • Stadium Tour
  • Forum Former Führer
  • The People's Democratic Republic of Songwriting
    • Anthony Lane on soundcloud
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2012, 02:41:41 PM »
I always try to focus on the writing, but I don't think you can always separate the writing from the production. How you present a song is incredibly important, and I think a lot of songwriters struggle with this aspect (I'm one of them)

As for the adage about a song being able to stand up on its own without a 'full' production, I do think it's largely true. But I don't think being able to play it on guitar/ piano only is the right way to frame it. So long as a song has a recognisable (and good) melody and harmony, and doesn't rely on fancy sounds to make it interesting, then the songwriting is probably sound. But you'll see examples of this in the charts every time a new fad takes hold. Remember britpop? The pioneers of this movement had good songs behind them on the whole, but the imitators had awful songs and relied on Gibson 335 guitars and mod hairdos (Menswear anyone?).

I would love to see more people commenting about the craft of songwriting itself, but I think a lot of people see it too subjectively. Their assessment is based on 'do I like this song?' (important, but often missing the point). I also think some members know when they don't think a song is too good, but lack the vocabulary/ understanding to know and say why.

Nice thread Estreet, thanks! :)
New EP: Straitjacket - Listen here

1st track from my upcoming album -- Click to listen -- Thanks!

Please read the rules before posting in the feedback forums http://bit.l

pmarino

• Open Mic
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2012, 02:46:54 PM »
For me, it's mostly about the songs, not the production. Of course, that would be obvious to anyone who has listened to one of my songs that almost always come with the caveat that they would be made better with other (more talented) musicians and better production. I want that to happen with/for my music, no question. That said, I was drawn to this site with the hopes of learning from other songwriters and being exposed to new ideas/sounds from those people. That has definitely happened for me here. At the same time, the more I listen to songs with much fuller production than mine, I get the sense that I need to be moving more and more in that direction, to make the songs better. The core (the songwriting) has to be there for me, but it all matters and is all apart of making something (hopefully) work in the end.

Ramshackles

• Global Moderator
  • Stadium Tour
  • https://soundcloud.com/ramshackles
    • Ramshackles @ Facebook
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2012, 04:25:25 PM »
Well, I dont think this is turning into a recording forum. Not at all when you compare it to actual recording forums (nerdy places where people frequently get into huge slanging matches about the benefits of different types of cables...... ;D). Plus the small number of discussions in the actual recording sub-forum compared to the other forums is a testament to this  :D

But I agree with tone. It's always important to try and focus on the writing first, but in some areas they are inseparable. It can be difficult to comment on a song if the writer says they have different things in mind for the production or if the recording is so bad it's distracting from the writing (those are extremes). Stuff like arrangement I think is debatable as to which category it would fall in. There are many people who would say that how you arrange a song is part of the recording process/production. To me it is as much a part of the writing as anything else.

I dont think elitism is a problem here...everyone is always working within some limits...I think the problem with people commenting that real strings or drums are needed could often be because the creator was trying to create the sound of real strings/drums? Of course, in those cases real stuff would always sound better...but of course, you are right that pointing it out isnt so helpful...A better thing would be to encourage people to work within their limits and come up with other ways to get their ideas across using stuff they actually have; that would be a good review!! E.g we had an xmas song competition and I didnt have any capacity to do proper drums on my entry at that point. So I for-goed them and recorded some wood chopping instead. Ok getting off topic now.

Tones last point is the crux I think. It's really easy to know when you dont like a song. It's really hard to point out why you dont like it and even harder to offer constructive criticism and say how you might improve it. That could be a reason why people might turn to technical things as it is easier to articulate why you dont like a particular sound of something rather than the songwriting...
Theres also the problem of not wishing to upset people, or not wishing to hand out harsh reviews in case someone comes and spits it back in your face with your next song posting.... :p

Schavuitje

• Stadium Tour
    • Camera Shy
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2012, 12:54:15 AM »
Personally I don't think this forum comes close to being a production type forum. Thos guys get way nerdier than we ever do.

Everyone on this forum is on their own personal journey. Some are at a more advanced stage than others, whether that be in their

songwriting or their ability to present that song in the way they would want it to be heard.

It doesn't take long to feel where different people are at and what feedback could be of use to them. Just like James said.

If someone only has a tape recorder and an accoustic, they can still benefit from a little technical advice like where to place the recorder or

try recording it in the bathroom, if what they present sound like it was recorded inside a coke can in a wind tunnel.

There are instances where some advice about chord structure, or lyrics will be useful and those things also get said.

I think when you present a song, you should present it the best you can to your ability, even if you do only have a tape recorder and guitar.

There's a lot of talk about "Well the rough production doesn't matter, makes it sound more genuine or makes it sound more [fill in your own words]"

No it doesn't. It makes it sound crap. At least most of the time. There are occassions where the opposite is indeed true but generally speaking and for

the most part it makes it sound amateur and takes away most of the colour what the track could have had. I think people like to have that as their excuse for being lazy

and not trying.

Having said that , of course you have to appreciate that some people do indeed have limited equipment. But then your technical advice should reflect that.

Don't ask someone who only has his phone and his accoustic to add strings. I think it is fine to suggest that it would sound great with strings or drums or bass or whatever. It may

open the ears of someone who thought their music was accoustic only. It may not.

I dissagree also that people comment on arrangement or mixing because they don't really like the song and don't know how to say it. If I can find nothing

I like about a song then I will very rarely comment. Most songs have at least something though.

I usually comment on mixing or arrangement when I like something. There have been some fantastic songs on here lately. Many talented songwriters. Sometimes

there really isn't any advice to give on the songwriting. Some songs are just great as they are APART from the mix. I always pay these lots of attention because I think the quality of

the songwriting deserves it. Especially when the mixing is great and maybe there is just one instrument sticking out or just a couple of tweaks that could get it sounding perfect.

Of course that is all subjective :)

A lot of people grow on these forums. You can hear it all the time. And that's because of the way we do things. The way we give feedback. I think some people need to stick to their own

posts and not worry so much about what others are writing. Unless it is a post on THEIR thread. I read what everyone esle says about a track, but I don't care what anyone else writes

or whether they review in the same way I do or in a way that I think they should. I would never be so arrogant. I review the way I want to. I say what I say. I try to be possitive.

I never only give technical/mixing advice. I always comment on the songwriting ( even if it is only to say how much I enjoyed or liked it ).

People also need to respect that people are different.

Nooms reviews will be different from Estreets. Mine are different from Dutchbeats, and so on. Some people do lots of patting on the back. Some people do a bit.

Some people barely do any patting on the back and assume that you realise that the fact they are posting a reply on your song already shows that they like it enough to want

to add some constructive critisism. Sorry to drop your name again mate hahaha but Ramshackles would be a very good example of the latter.

He is one of the nicest guys on these forums. He has a lot of great knowledge and advice. He will spend a lot of his valuable time giving you a novels worth of help.

That he doesn't first tell you how good you are and how great you should be feeling about yourself ( because he feels the ten paragraphs he's written should be testament enough )

shouldn't bother anyone at all. But he has in the past (as have I.) But if you spend enough time here you just know and accept that that's the way people are. People have different characters.

The more accomplished the piece and the more accomplished the person is at getting the mix dsounding good, the more technical you know you can get with that person because you can hear where they are at and what they are capable of.

So I will say honestly, that seeing what Chef wrote really pissed me off, because I could feel the irritation in the words. I'm sure I'm not the only on which is why this thread is up.

This is the second time recently that words directed at other peoples reviews have been voiced on here.

Which is why I will say again. How someone reviews someone else's song... Why should that bother you Chef? Do we all have to review the same as you? Can you not just be satisfied that you are able to have your opinion? And that the person may value your opinion above all others that he/she reads?

Keep your snipes to yourself. Like I say when you spend a lot of time here, it is very easy to get used to peoples idiosynchrasies and accept them. If you are accepting of nature.

That's the last time I am going to defend mine or anyone else's right to review however they feel appropriate. If you don't like a review, because you don't agree with it, then tough.

There are holes in the sky where the rain gets in  , but they're ever so small, that's why rain is thin.

mihkay

• Platinum Album
  • Tune first....Lyrics long, long way second.
    • Mihkay Demos
« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2012, 01:45:12 AM »
I do much wailing and gnashing of teeth whilst trying to review song verses production.  :o

While I can offer, based on personal experience, detailed objective advice and or criticism on production........ I Cannot bring myself to say "Sorry mate I don't like your song" just on my subjective opinion.

This is possibly in part to my engineering / scientific background and being really poor at "THE ARTS" from a academic standpoint. And also as has been pointed out....not wanting to get into a "flame war"!

But what it really comes down to is..... If it had been my choice, Madonna would have never got airplay, U2' last ever single release would have been "New Year's Day", Coldplay would never have been heard of and British Rap would be limited to two clubs in North London....and thousands of jobs and hundreds of evenings out and some great songs would not exist.
So good production for me does not make a song...BUT, if what I hear on the play-back is not what you hear in your head.... why the hell should I spend my time commenting on it?
I'm not John Peel. I don't have the time to sit and go through every song in the reviews forum and give it a five hundred word critique. I'm trying to produce my own stuff and it takes time, because I want others to hear what I hear.

So for anybody on the forum reading this.........there are some derivative, unimaginative, copycat, self-indulgent, bandwagon-jumping, clichéd, poorly though out, rambling piles of steaming dung out there which are beautifully produced....but ....... unless something of you is truly in that song... for me....it's meaningless.

Production is only a means to an end, but if you are just guitar and vocal.....I want to hear the recorded version that you put your heart and soul into..and it will shine through the poorest of recording equipment.

I have no authority or standing here, only opinions. :-)

Mr.Chainsaw

• Solo Gig
« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2012, 01:47:57 AM »
I think some problems could be irradicated by the original song poster being a bit less ambiguous. E.g.

"Wrote a new song

LINK

here's the lyrics..."

...seems to be the standard format for a post. Which to me seems like carte blanche to say whatever you want.

If they'd said " been experimenting with X technique" or "not sure about the drums on this. Opinions?" then you're gonna get more specific and, in my mind, usefull feedback. An example of this is James Nighthawks "bob Dylan" song where everyone chimed in on how Dylan esque they thought it was. All useful stuff!

That's my impression anyhow

Peter

Everything is easier said than done.

Except talking.

That's about the same.

Kafla

« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2012, 11:52:00 AM »
Its a great topic

Personally I would take a good song that resonates with me ,poorly produced over an amazingly technical recording that lacks a hook or soul

And with regard to reviews I am all for the reviewer to comment on whatever they want whether it be production, lyrics, the chords, melody etc

You can always ignore the advice you don't agree with but I really appreciate the review as the person has graciously given up their time ;D

Ramshackles

• Global Moderator
  • Stadium Tour
  • https://soundcloud.com/ramshackles
    • Ramshackles @ Facebook
« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2012, 01:03:18 PM »
Its a great topic

Personally I would take a good song that resonates with me ,poorly produced over an amazingly technical recording that lacks a hook or soul

And with regard to reviews I am all for the reviewer to comment on whatever they want whether it be production, lyrics, the chords, melody etc

You can always ignore the advice you don't agree with but I really appreciate the review as the person has graciously given up their time ;D

Thats a good point. Be happy to have got reviews on anything! :D It may be annoying to only get a few reviews commenting on the production, but its better than no reviews at all. People have to take time out of their own thing to listen to other peoples songs, so if they can offer anything constructive at all it can only be great...

James Nighthawk

• Stadium Tour
    • www.facebook.com/jamesnighthawk
« Reply #10 on: February 27, 2012, 02:15:08 PM »
Some very good and balanced arguments brought up on this thread. Further proof this forum is full of internet "weirdos"! (The "normal" internet type being argumentative, illiterate and stubborn, to put it mildly!)

@ Mr Chainsaw; Thank you for singling out my recent thread. Prefacing my post with a titbit of info did indeed work as a discussion point, and that thread got me thinking a lot about the song itself. Interestingly, it did focus people perhaps a little TOO much on the pastiche side of that song, which I had to quell after a few posts (still learning the ropes here!!) But this all backs up your point; by providing people with a thought or two going into the review, people listen more subjectively on the points raised, and focus on the song!

The threads I like the most, are the ones that start with something like this:

"Hey. This is a new song I wrote about/for XXXX. I went for a XXXX vibe with some XXXX influences. I recorded this on XXXXX with a couple of XXXXX mics and a home laptop"

A simple opening like that puts me in the mind set to review the song, and any secondary production advice can be linked to the recording methods used, without under or over pushing the expectations :)

And no, these forums are not CLOSE to the nerdier recording tech forums. I have to frequent them on occasion. The arguments over using 556 or 558hz on a snare drum EQ boost make me p#ss myself with laughter. I have oodles of training and qualifications, so can follow and on occasion learn from these threads, but music does not work by numbers! Ears, my friends, ears and malleablilty!!!

www.facebook.com/jamesnighthawk
Twitter @JamesNighthawk

nfelockhart

• Busker
« Reply #11 on: March 04, 2012, 08:29:49 AM »
Hmmm.. Interesting.

Some people write songs with an acoustic guitar, based on cord progressions and melodies. That's one way to create music. But as a lot of you already know that's not the only way. You can write a song with only one cord, and that CAN be good, wheather you like it or not. But it can't be good if it's just you strumming a cord on your guitar for 5 minutes, it needs some production process.

For exaple, I used to write songs by trying to find the cords and melodies, giving the songs emotions. Those songs can be presented by just an acoustic guitar and vocals, and their purpose and intention could still be expressed. But lately, I've been focusing more on the grooves and atmosphere than emotion. I still don't compromise cord progressions and melodies but the  purpose and intention of my songs cannot be expressed without the production process.

I don't own a studio, nor a fancy microphone. Only my computer, 5 year old $50 audio interface and a $100 condenser microphone that I borrowed from a friend. But you can do a LOT with just that. And I don't have any reason to share that fact. From my viewpoint, it's perfectly natural to give comments about sound producing as long as it's appropriate. As long as this forum is open for songwriters like me. It is, right??? ::)

cheff daniel

• Solo Gig
  • ...?
« Reply #12 on: March 04, 2012, 11:44:44 AM »
oh oh, i agree schavuitje i was irritated, and after your reply i saw that, so i kept my big mouth shut. but i remember that my irritation was that it all became so technical that i thought, is this still helpfull to write a better song. sometimes i spend time on recording fora and i know that thats a complete other experience so that was not nice from me to say. and i apology.

gr.    Dan 

chrislong170273

• Open Mic
    • Chris Long: Composer
« Reply #13 on: March 04, 2012, 12:04:13 PM »
Haven't had time to read throught all the posts, but seems that some old ground is being revisited.

Same view from me, I like songs to be able stand up for themselves in performance, not recording. A good song can be performed by a singer and guitar, recording is a different process
www.chrislong.me.uk
@ChrisLongCOMP

Cameron Fielding

• Busker
« Reply #14 on: March 04, 2012, 07:02:56 PM »
If somebody has the facilities to do a full-on bells and whistles production of their song, then why not make use of these! What is the need for a songwriter to deliberately restrict himself to a single instrument and a vocal!

Whatever "machinery" people have to do a demo, whether limited or not, the song will always identify itself in it's own right.

I have been really grateful for the production tips that people have taken the time to kindly include in reviews. It's part of the learning and development process, and I wouldn't have it any other way.

Forever forward.