Learner guitarist

nooms

• Global Moderator
  • Stadium Tour
  • songwriter
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2012, 12:47:53 AM »

intriguing jim, (good name for you..)
like the mood & the vocals
i was thinking about drums & bass and then the drums came in...
rather quietly though.. but they do it give it an anchor...
have you thought about using them or just a single kick drum from the start...?  

seriously are you into Love & Spirit and those 60s/70s 'delic bands cos thats what a lot of your stuff reminds me of..

good one, nooms

i may not believe this tomorrow...

https://soundcloud.com/nooms-1

Schavuitje

• Stadium Tour
    • Camera Shy
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2012, 02:38:43 AM »
It's definately got that 60'/70's psycheldelic feel to it.

There's a hell of a lot need tightening up but I love the feel of it.

Nice one :)
There are holes in the sky where the rain gets in  , but they're ever so small, that's why rain is thin.

Kafla

« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2012, 08:10:23 AM »
Jim this is excellent ,

I really enjoy your mellower stuff

Are you recording the acoustic guitar straight into your mixer/recorder ? If so you should record it naked into your mic - it sounds much better. If you are already doing this ignore this useless piece of advice ???

Really nice composition though Matt, the opening lines really grab your b@lls and get you straight into the action

Great effort  ;D

Andy
« Last Edit: February 26, 2012, 08:13:54 AM by Kafla »

pmarino

• Open Mic
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2012, 09:11:48 AM »
I really enjoyed this song. Great feel to it, especially when you kick it up a notch. One suggestion: Make the first transition at :58 linger a bit. Leave a note from the slow bit hanging/ringing and then let the change hit. Second time you do it wouldn't need the delay. I'd also like to hear some pushed vocals at the end. Nice sound!

Paul

• Platinum Album
  • "There are moments of magic, of beautiful peace!"
« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2012, 09:49:10 AM »
Hi Jim,

Another good song from you.  I think that the introduction works really well with the guitar and vocal and then the introduction of more instrumentation.  This has a very chilled feeling.  I love the way it drops back down to drums vocal and guitar.  I think you should lessen the amount of delay on the guitar during the queiter moments as it sometimes makes it ound out of time which I'm sure isn't the case.  Overall, a very enjoyable song.

Well Done!

Paul

cheff daniel

• Solo Gig
  • ...?
« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2012, 10:36:34 AM »
i think one of your best jim. lovely dark and loose feel to it, vocals are ace, and as you know i love your electric guitar sound. round 1.30 guitar and drums are in each others way, and the bassdrum is the main cause i think.

gr.   Dan

Songsmith

• Solo Gig
  • If you can feel, you can write!!
« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2012, 10:41:10 AM »
Hi there Jim,
                  love this, very dark, I can envisage it in a Vietnam movie a la Doors. That guitar riff is great. I don't really want to comment too much on the recording because I think you are on limited equipment but I agree with Kafla about the acoustic guitar needing to be miked up, I am  presuming it wasn't too!! You could do a great production of this given the means, nice one. :) :)

Dutchbeat

« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2012, 12:49:23 PM »
Great atmosphere!

going from the verses to the choruses (verse 1 to the first chorus, that is) is a bit abrupt and difficult

nevertheless, superb songwriting!!!!

jim morrison

• Platinum Album
« Reply #10 on: February 26, 2012, 04:25:20 PM »
Thanks all, some really good advice to digest there, to answer your question ,yes that was the guitar directly into computer not mic'ed up which i want to start doing, i think i need to practice playing around with mic/amp as i've got a good condenser mic to do it.
Thanks
Matt
Learner guitarist