What is your favorite aspect of songwriting?

• 21 Replies

Vandament

• Busker
« on: February 24, 2012, 09:49:25 AM »
Hi everyone!

I figured it would be interesting to get to know what you guys enjoy most about songwriting. :)

V.

Ramshackles

• Global Moderator
  • Stadium Tour
  • https://soundcloud.com/ramshackles
    • Ramshackles @ Facebook
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2012, 10:48:44 AM »
When a song is complete and you feel you have written something that you feel is both original and you want to hear it :D

Schavuitje

• Stadium Tour
    • Camera Shy
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2012, 02:18:02 PM »
Hey :)

For me it's when it's the part where I record some idea with guitar or whatever and then I start to put the vocal melodies

on top. It's those melodies and harmonies that always give me the thrill.  ;D
There are holes in the sky where the rain gets in  , but they're ever so small, that's why rain is thin.

James Nighthawk

• Stadium Tour
    • www.facebook.com/jamesnighthawk
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2012, 02:24:12 PM »
A toss up between (a) the first full play through with al lyrics and sections in places and (b) the excitement of your mates/fans/everyman hearing and commenting for the first time

;D
www.facebook.com/jamesnighthawk
Twitter @JamesNighthawk

pmarino

• Open Mic
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2012, 05:03:09 PM »
The struggle.  ;)

Kafla

« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2012, 05:55:31 PM »
Definitely that "eureka" moment when something comes out of nothing, it's like you are exsisting on a different plane  ::)

Sitting strumming the guitar/banging the keyboard and you tune into the songwriters ouija board  :o

Mr.Chainsaw

• Solo Gig
« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2012, 06:19:52 PM »
The immense wealth and doteing attention of beautiful women ;)

Seriously though, the chance to make something beautiful. And all  the opportunitys to challenge and push yourself."nothing gets better by staying the same"

Peter
Everything is easier said than done.

Except talking.

That's about the same.

estreet

• Solo Gig
« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2012, 11:42:17 PM »
Definitely that "eureka" moment when something comes out of nothing, it's like you are exsisting on a different plane  ::)

Sitting strumming the guitar/banging the keyboard and you tune into the songwriters ouija board  :o

Yeah I agree about the 'Eureka' moment. Tom Waits says you have to pluck songs out of the air and if you don't catch them they will go to someone else. I kind of like that way of looking at it.
Youth & enthusiasm are no match for age and treachery.

jmacdon

• Solo Gig
  • Give me a lyric and I'll give you a song
« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2012, 09:01:12 PM »
it's all about sitting at the piano, sometimes wistful, other times hyper...... and letting your fingers find a chord sequence which flows like magic.   That marks the beginning of a song. 

nfelockhart

• Busker
« Reply #9 on: March 04, 2012, 04:55:35 AM »
The struggle.  ;)

I like that!

For me, it's that cigarette after rendering. I stand out side listening to it through earbuds, having a cig. I usually shake as I do.  :D

DailyDean

• Busker
  • I'm Dean and I'm mean
« Reply #10 on: March 05, 2012, 02:50:48 PM »
The struggle.  ;)

I like that!

For me, it's that cigarette after rendering. I stand out side listening to it through earbuds, having a cig. I usually shake as I do.  :D

I'D have to agree with this, nothing quite more satifying. Or perhaps the cigarette, whilst listening to the track once bounced. Or checking back to an ealier version to see how good it has developed

ShAaShAy

• Busker
« Reply #11 on: March 05, 2012, 03:04:26 PM »
for me it's probably about letting your inner true self out.
what we can't say directly, our lyrics transmit in a way like no other. in a way where all you have to do to understand another person, is well, listen.  :D

domj

• Open Mic
« Reply #12 on: March 22, 2012, 12:40:37 PM »
The idea... when it clicks and becomes this idea. I get really excited about where it can go. I'm awful at the finishing aspect... i basically have a bag full of ideas that need developing because i haven't the patience to do so. The fun kind of goes when it's realised.
I've always felt i need to team up with another writer who is strong on that side and can formulate ideas well. .

Lee F

• Busker
    • Lee F Music
« Reply #13 on: April 07, 2012, 11:50:01 AM »
The immense wealth and doteing attention of beautiful women ;)

Brilliant.

My favourite aspect is the moment when you're losing faith in the track, then suddenly an idea will pop into your head and  turn it all around, then the next time you listen to it it's like a different track. Actually that's quite difficult to explain what I mean - hope it doesn't sound crazy!

andy5544

• Platinum Album
« Reply #14 on: April 08, 2012, 06:54:54 PM »
I like it when I send my latest song idea to my mate Ron , usually consists of drums rythym guitar and vocals , then he emails back says its crazy...but he loves it!
Then he sends back bass , extra guitar etc.
Then the very best bit is loading it into cubase and playing around with the levels n stuff, love that bit.
I wanted to be a hippy....but my mum wouldn't let me !!

Beware the JudDeRMan when the moon grows FAT !!!!!!!!