whirlwind

• 14 Replies

cheff daniel

• Solo Gig
  • ...?
« on: February 23, 2012, 10:46:46 AM »
hi everyone. this is one of my most recent songs. i have to type out the lyrics so they'll come later.

http://soundcloud.com/cheff-daniel/whirlwind

gr.   Dan

Kafla

« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2012, 01:55:33 PM »
very atmospheric Dan - the kind of song I love to hear from you

Again you have your 'sound' which I love and you have brought the vocals more to the front - its great to hear that Johhny Cash drawl in all its glory ;D

Some nice 7th chords in there and a great little solo

The only thing I would have liked it some strings to lift the chorus section slightly more - But I am string daft ;)

Schavuitje

• Stadium Tour
    • Camera Shy
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2012, 03:50:10 PM »
Hiya Chef :)

You have become one of the people on here who I always look forward to hearing when you have a new post up.

And I wasn't dissapointed again! You really do have your own things going on and it's really attractive to

listen to.

It started off dark and mysterious and then those lazy, rough-edged vocals came in, which I'm a big fan of. Your vocals are

superb.

For me the intro was a little long, but that is the only critisism I have.

The chord change at 0:48 surpirsed me. I wasn't expecting you to go there and I really enjoyed that change. Like Kaf says, some lovely use of chords.

For me in this one everything sat lovely in the mix too. Your vocals were more prominent which was better.

Now listening to it for the third time I do think the snare sound is a little too dry and maybe a little loud but that's being really picky.

Awesome again mate  ;D
There are holes in the sky where the rain gets in  , but they're ever so small, that's why rain is thin.

nooms

• Global Moderator
  • Stadium Tour
  • songwriter
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2012, 04:08:57 PM »
hi dan
beautiful day, hope dutchville is as nice

lovely stoney track
keybds got that sound &  great feel
giant sand meets procol harum
and drums kick in lovely
another one for the CHEFF ALBUM

nooms

i may not believe this tomorrow...

https://soundcloud.com/nooms-1

Songsmith

• Solo Gig
  • If you can feel, you can write!!
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2012, 05:30:11 PM »
Hey Chef,
             loved this, your vocal is great, honest, really well produced & love that snare sound!! Nice acoustic sound too. The vocal is perfect in the mix, Smashin' job. I can't fault or suggest anything really,,,,,,,,,, :) :) :) :)

James Nighthawk

• Stadium Tour
    • www.facebook.com/jamesnighthawk
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2012, 02:59:46 AM »
Very atmospheric work here, a perfect background for the gravelly vocal. Nice to see an acoustic guitar taking a solo too, cuts through nicely.

Unlike others here I don't like the snare sound I am afraid. It sounds boxy and distant and drops the mix quality to my ears. Something more open and natural, low in the mix would be my first port of call, but each to their own.

www.facebook.com/jamesnighthawk
Twitter @JamesNighthawk

cheff daniel

• Solo Gig
  • ...?
« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2012, 10:26:27 AM »
thanks everyone. here at dutchville its a grey day today nooms. snares always are a battle for me. i like it dry and a little boxy, but not to much, and not harsh, but still some bite. i liked the one here but its a little loud indeed. thats one of the mistakes i often make.

gr.   Dan 

pmarino

• Open Mic
« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2012, 01:03:43 PM »
Atmospheric is right. Lots of feeling in this one. The whiskey/cigarette vocals throughout and the guitar work at 2:20 really add to this one. Was anticipating a bit more of a pronounced ending, but real nice work, nonetheless!

Dutchbeat

« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2012, 06:43:36 PM »
I like this one very much
beautiful!

and again a 100% cheff Dan song!!!
feel  it ended too soon...really had a feeling it was not finished yet....

estreet

• Solo Gig
« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2012, 02:34:49 AM »
Really like this one Dan - have listened to it several times. Interesting chords and melody. Nice sounds.
I like pretty much everything about it - I think we probably own some albums in common.

Regarding the snare - I didn't find it too loud or boxy but I did think that it was such a distinctive sound that the fact that it's a sample is soon evident. It would be nice to have another slightly different sample of the same drum to use sometimes. However, what did bug me was the Hi-Hats they have an in-your-face sound that goes weirdly with the snare sample and is obviously not part of a kit with it, also they are definitely too loud on my monitors.  I would like to hear a more 'roomy' ambient Hi-Hat. On this track the closer you can get to the sound of a real kit in a room the better the drums will work i think.

Great stuff.

Carl
Youth & enthusiasm are no match for age and treachery.

jim morrison

• Platinum Album
« Reply #10 on: February 25, 2012, 10:55:06 AM »
Great Dan, it has a big sound to it if you know what i mean, terrific vocals as always
Learner guitarist

Paul

• Platinum Album
  • "There are moments of magic, of beautiful peace!"
« Reply #11 on: February 26, 2012, 09:52:24 AM »
Very enjoyable Dan.  The vocal sit perfectly in the mix.  This song has a very dark feeling to it.  The chords changes are excellent, supporting the melody extremely well.  You've found a great drum sound (snare) and the acoustic guitar sounds excellent.

Well done,

Best wishes

Paul

cheff daniel

• Solo Gig
  • ...?
« Reply #12 on: February 27, 2012, 11:47:08 AM »
cheers pmarino, dutchbeat, estreet, jim morrison and paul your comments are very appreciated.

gr.    Dan

domstone86

• Open Mic
    • Facebook URL
« Reply #13 on: February 27, 2012, 12:11:19 PM »
This could really do with a better mix, but apart from that I find it atmospheric like the others. It's definately got a Radiohead sort of vibe at parts. I like Radiohead :P

cheff daniel

• Solo Gig
  • ...?
« Reply #14 on: February 28, 2012, 11:55:09 AM »
thanks domstone 86. wat is it you don't like about this mix?

gr.   Dan