Fly Away

• 24 Replies

Songsmith

• Solo Gig
  • If you can feel, you can write!!
« Reply #15 on: February 22, 2012, 12:58:59 PM »
This is a really good song, NOT like most people I don't think it needs a "break" in it. For what I can hear, a break could possibly "break" it completely.  I think it is potentially so strong on it's own. The piano sits in it fantastically & I really like your voice, I can hear the sensitivity in it & has some great colour to it too. I really feel for you not being able to fund yourself with better gear. If it was arranged & recorded on better gear it has great potential. The parts you have put on it are all very workable. Nice one

domstone86

• Open Mic
    • Facebook URL
« Reply #16 on: February 22, 2012, 01:36:20 PM »
Hehe you're hearing it with the break Songsmith ;) but thanks lol. I tried to make it low key so it didn't get in the way, and sacrificed the intro to keep the length of the song down a bit. Thanks for the compliments :) On a positive note, when I DO get my money sorted, I should have over £1000 backdate to spare. I'm going to get a mic and an electric guitar, try get them second hand. I can see a Neumann on ebay for £325 or something hehe.

Cheff:
Thanks :) The amount of times I've mixed this down then realised something could be improved...

Nighthawk and Schavuitje:
I tried taking off the autotune, then realised I wasn't in tune in certain parts of the song (Though in tune for the rest), but it kind of ruins it, I might just autotune select clips haha!

I'll also make these programmed drums 'perfect' then show the drummer for a real sound as I think what I've arranged fits pretty well. Could be wrong though!

Songsmith

• Solo Gig
  • If you can feel, you can write!!
« Reply #17 on: February 22, 2012, 02:41:19 PM »
Lol, everyone else heard a different version then, which is a relief, now you can see why it didn't need breaking anymore!! Good luck with the new gear & I'll look forward to hearing more.  :) :) :)

Kafla

« Reply #18 on: February 24, 2012, 07:22:38 AM »
As usual Dom first class ;D

I think you could start a little more restraint and build up the arrangment more and the guitar during the last chorus is overpowering (or something is clipping )

But this has real chart quality , very strong songwriting - the kind I really admire and love :D as much as I love this forum and the music that's showcased in my opinion we don't see enough of this type of commercial writing

Brilliant Dom  ;D

domstone86

• Open Mic
    • Facebook URL
« Reply #19 on: February 24, 2012, 01:59:28 PM »
Yes! Thank you Kafla. I was hoping you'd make a comment, always brings a smile to my face :) I will see what I can do with your critisism, my mixing skills are improving exponentially, just clearly not quickly enough haha! The track was my way of expressing a really difficult time I've recently been through, which fortunately, has boosted my connection with my musical side strongly. Not all bad eh ;)

I'll have a bash at improving it a bit, and I'll let you know when I'm done ;)

Just listening to John DeBortoli's work from this forum, and feel slightly inferior, but I feel I can learn something from it :)

domstone86

• Open Mic
    • Facebook URL
« Reply #20 on: March 05, 2012, 05:19:31 PM »
Ok guys. I've been looking after myself recently, diet, sleep, routine etc, and felt pretty much on form. So I had a bit of a play around with this track and I'm really pleased with the results. Sorted out the issues you mentioned Kafla :)

http://soundcloud.com/domstone86/fly-away

There's the link again :)

Dutchbeat

« Reply #21 on: March 05, 2012, 06:42:14 PM »
Domsotne, that is such a pleasure!

when you start to combine your beautiful songs and arangments with singing and lyrics

you will get there

for sure, yeaahhhhh!

domstone86

• Open Mic
    • Facebook URL
« Reply #22 on: March 05, 2012, 07:05:36 PM »
Thankksss =] I hope so! I'm only going to get away with being a student and unemployed for a year and a half! Haha.

JackHalkabar

• Busker
    • Jack Halkabar Official Website
« Reply #23 on: March 05, 2012, 09:45:36 PM »
I like the song, but i coulden't really enjoy it because of the annoying background noise... other than that, great song,

Nice work, keep it up!

Kafla

« Reply #24 on: March 05, 2012, 09:55:29 PM »
Perfecto ;D