• 26 Replies

Dutchbeat

« on: February 13, 2012, 07:41:46 PM »
Hi forumites

made a new song, finally...pfff..
(with help of some forumites)

quickly attached a sort of video to it, hope you want to listen and watch

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aFDDjAZvVLs&feature=youtu.be

edit: I just changed the link into a new mix and video mix, i tried to take the feedback in this post and from forumites via e-mail on board...
« Last Edit: February 26, 2012, 05:17:57 PM by Dutchbeat »

estreet

• Solo Gig
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2012, 09:13:26 PM »
Hi Dutch,

Good song and the mix is working for me - although I'm only listening on one of those sub-woofer/tiny top end  computer systems at the moment. As a fellow video-maker working with limited resources, I think you have done a good job here - although I have to say I'm still not super-keen on that lyrics-on-the-screen thing, especially in that font. with a more abstract font it would look better to me. Minor criticism mate - good work.
Youth & enthusiasm are no match for age and treachery.

nooms

• Global Moderator
  • Stadium Tour
  • songwriter
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2012, 10:12:56 PM »
lost me socks on this one..
great sound & spirit to it
even a touch of abba about the vocals !!
really love it DBeats
great movie too
nooms
i may not believe this tomorrow...

https://soundcloud.com/nooms-1

Schavuitje

• Stadium Tour
    • Camera Shy
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2012, 11:36:24 PM »
Hiya DB  ;D

You and Kaf are beginning to blow my socks off! I think of all the many talented people

who frequent these forums. Both you and Kaf, in my ears, are the most improved. That's not to say

I didn't like your previous work, you know I love hearing your stuff every time :)

But you and Kaf really take all critisism's on board and learn from them so well and it shows in the quality

not only of your songwriting, but the sound you are producing. You have a lot more tricks up your sleeve these days DB.

I think you experiment so well with different sounds, and your arrangement is also very good. It's so good to see people improving  ;D

I think this one is great DB, the vocals... everything.

I salute you mate  :)
There are holes in the sky where the rain gets in  , but they're ever so small, that's why rain is thin.

cheff daniel

• Solo Gig
  • ...?
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2012, 01:00:02 PM »
this is not my thing normally, but i could'nt sit still man. great production too.

gr.   Dan

Dutchbeat

« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2012, 07:31:43 PM »
thanks Schavuitje, E-street, Nooms and Cheff Dan,

and i know it is not really your kind of music, which make your responses even more encouraging to me
thanks

i love making this kind of synthesizer music, i don't want to do anything else, but that you guys want to listen and comment to it is great

about the words on screen E-street, i will change that, i agree, and also i see now i mispelled Tomorrow  :P

nooms, that about hearing a little hint of abba in the vocals is just too kind...when i started this was what i was going to look for that without having a clue how to do that, and still no clue, but thanks!!!!!
your remark made my day...

thanks for listening guys, next song is going to be very old school Yazoo-like

but...back to the the valentine's competition...who won? did dr Luvvv (Chainsaw Peter) and nurse Tina decide yet?

Kafla

« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2012, 07:45:44 PM »
Dutchbeat

I am a massive fan and have bucket loads of respect for you

I know you invested in some new technology to finally bring you into the 20th century ;-) and man can you hear it

Thumping , pulsating synths and a vocal to match

I love it :-)

Dutchbeat

« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2012, 07:54:53 PM »
thanks Kafla...

you make me blush...
seriously
but yes, i am back, with all the software options and hardware i need
finally

thanks, happy valentine's day to all of you

tone

• Administrator
  • Stadium Tour
  • Forum Former Führer
  • The People's Democratic Republic of Songwriting
    • Anthony Lane on soundcloud
« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2012, 08:21:44 PM »
Wow! Dutchbeats! You've surpassed yourselves! Production on this tune is amazing. Like Kafla says, the thumping bass and pulsing rhythms, so infectious. You were born to make this music.

Can't think of any negatives on this one. Just a quality groove and a quality tune, well impressed.
New EP: Straitjacket - Listen here

1st track from my upcoming album -- Click to listen -- Thanks!

Please read the rules before posting in the feedback forums http://bit.l

postmn

• Solo Gig
  • I am not done listening to myself
« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2012, 02:47:31 PM »

not usually my choice of music, but you got me, great intro, lovely video, nice lyrics, awesome beat, keep em comin :D

Songsmith

• Solo Gig
  • If you can feel, you can write!!
« Reply #10 on: February 20, 2012, 05:15:30 PM »
Hi Dutchbeat,
                  well done mate, great job all round, loved the video & the corresponding tango change & clip combined!! I can't add anything constructive really, I found pretty polished, so take a bow, nice one.

Innominate

• Open Mic
« Reply #11 on: February 21, 2012, 02:34:37 AM »
Not my style of music but impressive. Everything feels exactly as it should be. Nice production/mixing. The vocal melody is a bit repetitive maybe, it stays in the same sort of area the whole time. Other than that, great song.

Paul

• Platinum Album
  • "There are moments of magic, of beautiful peace!"
« Reply #12 on: February 21, 2012, 05:57:24 PM »
I've heard several versions of this song.  It is very good.  It's direct and makes an impression immediately.  My only criticism is that one of the earlier mixes I heard had even more impact.  If you could capture that once again, this would be fantastic,  Very well done though.

Best wishes

Paul

James Nighthawk

• Stadium Tour
    • www.facebook.com/jamesnighthawk
« Reply #13 on: February 21, 2012, 10:26:24 PM »
Firstly, this isn't my kind of thing, but it definitely grabbed me and I listened to the whole thing! So that says something in itself!

The electronica is very well done, with each sound having space in the mix.

It registers quite high on the cheesometer, which affects its commercial appeal (although these things are subjective of course). But it suits it somehow!

From a production point of view, one issue stands out over everything else....

Be VERY careful using stereo field to split lead vocals!!!! This can cause phasing issues and screw up the perceived mix on speakers anywhere the listener is not dead centre.

Some instruments have existed in the centre of the stereo field since the 70s - Bass, Bass drum and lead vocals should nearly always be centred. It is brave to put them elsewhere, and best avoided  :)

Producer notes aside, good work!
www.facebook.com/jamesnighthawk
Twitter @JamesNighthawk

Dutchbeat

« Reply #14 on: February 23, 2012, 05:11:25 PM »
forumites!

you are very kind....tried to take on the comments i received, tried another mix, tweaked the video etc.

here it is...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aFDDjAZvVLs&feature=youtu.be

Nighthawk, unfortunately i only read your comment after remixing,
you make such a good point about splitting the vocals in the stereo...i aways do that, and very extreme, started to do that one day, just thinking that is cool, but what you say is true...it is not working, i realise now

in this version, i am still doing that (a bit less, I hope) but that one i am going to take on board for next songs (i am a bit tired of this one now, i need to move on)

thanks, beautiful forum people!
« Last Edit: February 26, 2012, 04:41:38 PM by Dutchbeat »