konalavadome

Don't Be Shy......

• 7 Replies

Songsmith

• Solo Gig
  • If you can feel, you can write!!
« on: February 13, 2012, 12:36:12 AM »
Hi,
    I am very new on here but my pet hate at the moment is people who stick lyrics up & describe it as a song without any form of performance to go with it. I don't know if this has the same irritation for other members. I can understand asking for an opinion on a lyric but not posting it as a song!!!!!! Even if you just bash it out with any old mic would be a million times more beneficial, that's it folks, rant over, exit stage right :) :) :) :)

Schavuitje

• Stadium Tour
    • Camera Shy
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2012, 12:42:58 AM »
 :-* Now breathe  ;D

I do get tired of seeing so many lyrics without any music because I would comsider myself to be much more

tuned into to melody and harmony than lyrics. I also find it difficult to understand how someone can write lyrics

without having any idea where it is going musically. But that's me :)

I wouldn't be gutted if there were two review sections. A separate one for post without any music.  :o

Ooooh what have you got going here  ;)
There are holes in the sky where the rain gets in  , but they're ever so small, that's why rain is thin.

Songsmith

• Solo Gig
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2012, 12:53:03 AM »
Lol,
     oh dear, sorry  ;D ;D Great idea about setting up a dedicated section for lyrics/words only.

The Corsair

• Platinum Album
  • I'm the latest model Johnny
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2012, 05:34:40 AM »
I write lyrics with a full on song in mind (to the point where if I can't get the music and lyrics right in my head I scrap the idea)
I also haven't the instruments to record my songs so all I can do is a basic vocal recording, even then I don't have a great voice. Basically there are people like me who can't actually post any accompaniment until they're either in a band (that has recording equipment) or someone figures out a way to download the melody from their brain (I give it 10 years...)

In short, don't be so quick to judge and rant. There are a whole host of reasons someone doesn't upload music with their lyrics.
They might not have a good enough computer to upload media
They might not have recording equipment
They might be a bassist without a band that can't play the other necessary instruments
They might not be comfortable with their voice
They might not be confident in their musical ability

Assume all of the above first and find out whether or not they're applicable, then judge. A 'song' is music and lyrics (I'm considering instrumental 'songs' as 'instrumentals' here) so remember that it may be annoying to you when someone only posts lyrics but it's no worse than only music. The sound isn't quite everything.
The music is the hammer
the lyric is the hand that wields it
Defective Elector

Songsmith

• Solo Gig
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2012, 04:29:16 PM »
Oh what a lovely passionate response, all very good valid points too!!!! Somehow doesn't change my view or opinion though, not at this stage anyway. Debate is a smashing way of bringing the positive out of a conflict of opinions.  8) :-\ ;D

estreet

• Solo Gig
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2012, 06:21:25 PM »
Separate sections would be the way to go here wouldn't it?. No argument then.
Wasn't a separate section for instrumentals mooted a long time ago ?
Youth & enthusiasm are no match for age and treachery.

Schavuitje

• Stadium Tour
    • Camera Shy
« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2012, 06:43:13 PM »
I'm still with you on this one Songsmith  :) I do agree with what Corsair says and I think you can tell the differences
between someone who puts lyrics up that they have a melody for and some kind of rythmn and those who write and have no clue of
rythmn, timing and how those lyrics would fit to music or even if they would.
I would still vote for songs with music and songs that are only lyrics being separated though.
Lyrics can be much quicker to write naturally as it's only half or less of the job.
I personally find lyrics only hard to critique and the boards seem to be flooded lately with so many teenage angst "poems".
I do, from my own personal point of view, get bored and tired of having to trawl through them to find some music.

That's just my own personal experience though. I'm sure others experience the boards in many different ways :)
There are holes in the sky where the rain gets in  , but they're ever so small, that's why rain is thin.

Songsmith

• Solo Gig
« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2012, 07:19:12 PM »
Hi  Schavuitje,
                    I think we have a really good valid debate going here!!  :) :)

When I review someones post who has put up a lyric alone I try & give them the encouragement to just have a go & not be 'shy'. I also realise that not everyone has the finances or technical knowledge to be able to do it & I would never presume they had!!

We all need support & are supposedly aiming for the same target. There are really good points made from all parties & personally I think the possibility of maybe having two more categories, lyrics & instrumentals could work really well.

Some really good points made, keep 'em coming   :) :) :)