konalavadome

Musicals! Bollocks!

• 11 Replies

mihkay

• Platinum Album
  • Tune first....Lyrics long, long way second.
    • Mihkay Demos
« on: February 13, 2012, 12:10:27 AM »
Whilst musing about.....long story short....I was playing about with the idea of musical theatre.

Long gone are the days of Cole Porter, Rogers and Hammerstein, Lionel Bart. or even scraping the barrel.... Rice and Lloyd -Webber.
We seem to be left with the collective doing's of past pop stars.

"We will rock you", "Mama Mia" or "Spamalot"!

Lord help us.....!!!  :'(

So I was thinking. Could I take a dozen or so of MY songs and construct a narrative to connect them to make a convincing 2 hour "West End " Show?

Well I'm no playwright and my lyrical ideas as basic but I think I probability could.  :D

How about you guys?
I have no authority or standing here, only opinions. :-)

Schavuitje

• Stadium Tour
    • Camera Shy
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2012, 12:46:29 AM »
List ten of your songs here and we'll construct a story out of their titles  ;D
There are holes in the sky where the rain gets in  , but they're ever so small, that's why rain is thin.

Songsmith

• Solo Gig
  • If you can feel, you can write!!
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2012, 11:48:06 PM »
Lol.
     yeah go for it, I already rate you above Rice/Webber & I have never heard you. God that hurt even typing their name!! :) :) :)

mihkay

• Platinum Album
  • Tune first....Lyrics long, long way second.
    • Mihkay Demos
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2012, 08:53:20 AM »
Only using my songs as a musical as an example.  Though maybe.........???   :-\

NO SERIOUSLY!  ;D

Really wanted to know the forums take on the quality of modern musical theatre. Is it just a vehicle for ex soap stars to sell reheated karaoke tunes or is it still a valid entertainment and or serious musical form?
I have no authority or standing here, only opinions. :-)

The Corsair

• Platinum Album
  • I'm the latest model Johnny
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2012, 09:13:32 AM »
I haven't seen any such modern musicals but I've written a few (using other artists' songs) so I can't say I support or disapprove of the ones out there.
Defective Elector

Dutchbeat

« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2012, 07:09:45 PM »
I absolutely hate musicals, they instantly make me sick to the stomach
i have unfortunately wintnessed about a handfull of those in my life in the theatre ("you must see this!")

the terror and pain they caused is still traumatic. Music being abused so badly

Schavuitje

• Stadium Tour
    • Camera Shy
« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2012, 01:17:04 AM »
I've just been down to the West End to see The Wizard Of Oz with Michael Crawford if that counts?

I must admit I thoroughly enjoyed it. I was dying to take a little walk in that under-the-stage bit where

the orchestra were hidden :)

It was especially cool afterwards when I got to have a chat with the Witch. Who was as hot as hell haha, although she was

green which is now somewhat disturbing.  :o
There are holes in the sky where the rain gets in  , but they're ever so small, that's why rain is thin.

Songsmith

• Solo Gig
  • If you can feel, you can write!!
« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2012, 07:54:48 AM »
She sounds cool, I've never been out with a green one before (woman that is)!!!! I suppose Patrick Evra would accuse you of racism,...... ;D

estreet

• Solo Gig
« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2012, 06:50:07 PM »
Well I've got to admit I loathe most of it with a passion - though you cant deny there's been some good tunes from things like West Side Story and The Wizard of Oz. For some reason though, when I saw this thread my mind flew to the Musical series 'Rock Follies' on the TV in the late '70s (or am I the only one old enough to remember  it?) because I remember even at a young age being staggered by the absolute shiteness of the songs. So I was  driven to visit Youtube in search of one particularly vapid slice of relentless turgidity entitled 'Can I have the Bass Up In my Cans'. Sadly, I was unable to find it there, but I did find this. Let's face it, if it was written by a newcomer to the art of song-writing  and posted here we'd all be struggling to find something encouraging to say:

Yet somehow Rula Lenska and Julie Covington built careers from the show!
Youth & enthusiasm are no match for age and treachery.

Dutchbeat

« Reply #9 on: February 15, 2012, 08:12:39 PM »
thanks E-street

i think we agree on this, i could not drag myself to listening to this yet, but i will get back on that...

but schavuitje summarized it very nicely by saying: "It was especially cool afterwards when I got to have a chat with the Witch"

i mean, the best moments of musicals, in my perception are also always afterwards

just because it is over...

then you can have a bear and a talk, in Schavuitjes case with a green woman if i understand correctly, doesnt matter, just as long as it is over

Dutchbeat

« Reply #10 on: February 15, 2012, 08:19:35 PM »
i mean beer...not bear

no, i am not going to have a bear, not even after a musical :P

The Corsair

• Platinum Album
  • I'm the latest model Johnny
« Reply #11 on: February 15, 2012, 08:24:59 PM »
I think that so long as we all agree that Glee is terrible we're on even footing with the 'musicals' debate :P
Defective Elector