How We Feel Inside (warning, includes strong language)

• 9 Replies

Paul V

• Busker
« on: May 19, 2024, 08:54:13 PM »
How we feel inside (working title “Labels Define”).

I hadn’t written for several months and it began to gnaw away at me.  I never think I’ll lose the ability to write, however, now and then, I have to prove this to myself.  So began a frantic period of writing in which I wrote a full album in a week.  I haven’t done that before and perhaps never will do so again.  A big thank you  (and apology) to John @pompeyjazz . I sent a new song to him every day for 7 or eight days as I laid the foundations of a new album called  “Home Of Kings”. 

“How We Feel Inside”.  was the first song written for this project.  Many of the ideas simply crept into my subconscious.  Suffice to say I have a strong dislike for the labels “Generation Z and X.  They are in my opinion simply not helpful.  We’re all people in this crazy mixed-up world, trying our best to get through life and hopefully derive enjoyment and happiness from aspects of the journey. 

I initially had a lovely guitar vocal version of this.  I then went on to add various instruments including accordion which is one of my favourites.  Hopefully the lyrics might engage.  They are simply my observations of the world in which we live.

“Labels define, undermine and divide.  They couldn’t tell you how we feel inside.

https://soundcloud.com/paulanthonyvasey/how-we-feel-inside

How we feel inside

It’s such a fucked up world.
I once believed that  I would turn it on its head.
Who did I fool?
Unprepared, I  quietly closed the door then left for school.

Generation Z, that’s a phrase that should be dead.
Why aren’t we one?
Labels define, undermine and divide.
They couldn’t tell you how we feel inside.

It’s such a lottery.
I do believe if you could stand inside these shoes you’d see.
Lost to our youth.
We’re living proof that no one’s getting out of this alive.

Generation X, regardless of your sex, we’re still the same.
Labels define undermine and divide.
They couldn’t tell you how we feel inside.

A face in the mirror, growing old, tired of pain.
In life, nothing ever stays the same.
May love remain.

Love,

Remain.

Love,

Remain.

Written by Paul Vasey March 2024

https://soundcloud.com/paulanthonyvasey/how-we-feel-inside
« Last Edit: May 19, 2024, 09:09:00 PM by Paul V »

rightly

• Stadium Tour
  • newer Soundcloud https://soundcloud.com/2rightly
    • My cloud o' sound.
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2024, 09:30:56 AM »
Sophisticated and articulate.
Anutha stunna from you

The categorising, it might rarely serve a purpose.
It does get overly used, by little people who feel entitled to
have an opinion about everything.

A full album in one week
I'm happy when I get 1.5 songs together in a week.
Friends seem to think I'm productive.

It's either this or that, then again it might be the other. 

I can promise you a future of slow decline.

Don't eat the yellow snow

And there you have it. 

https://soundcloud.com/2rightly

https://soundcloud.com/rightly

moraamarolaloba

• Stadium Tour
    • Mora Amaro La Loba
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2024, 09:55:28 AM »
Hola @Paul V

Beautiful and calm backing for such a raw but poetic lyrics... I liked it a lot, I adore that accordion that suddenly appears... The lyrics? a reality for all of us that we try to ignore, it seems.
Labels? It's a word I hate hahaha but apparently the pack needs signs to show them a path... generally all current paths lead to personal destruction

Sorry for joking, I'm that unconscious or joking, whichever you prefer.
It has been a very pleasant listen, a very soft sound.

Have a ice day @Paul V
I did not know that to live we had to die so many times
My Youtube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCAaK7mFK7fUpf1E99I1Qtow

Elvis Nash

• Solo Gig
  • https://nashvillecalifornia.com/listen-page/
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2024, 04:08:16 PM »
its a lovely voice to say fucked up world , but yeah that's what we say . Strong language is IRS not fucked up, Say each word see what offends you worse. How about certified mail needs signature and fucked up ? I'll go with fucked up
Cool song man , write on . To fit the mood of the song , you can use messed up world . Youtube might ding you saying fucked up , Ads won't be used saying fucked up , usually how it works on Youtube

pompeyjazz

• Stadium Tour
  • pompeyjazz
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2024, 05:49:03 PM »
Hi @Paul V First of all, no need to apologise  :) I really enjoyed the "Song a day" from you and it was fascinating to observe how each song developed along the way. It gives a great insight into you as a writer. Labels eh ? They should be torn up and thrown away. It's a bit like to the genre stuff in music where you seem to be expected to be pigeon holed into genre so that some algorithm can pump you some ads of some music that it "Thinks you like"

This is a rather fabulous piece of music. Great sentiments in the lyrics. I always love your subtle use of of strings and the accordion works incredibly well. Always super melody and well thought out and arranged. Bravo Paul  :)

Dorian

• Open Mic
  • Arghhh!!!
    • Dorian Urac Soundcloud
« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2024, 09:08:58 AM »
@Paul V
Beautiful and gentle vibe with the guitar, strings and accordeon! Also, your voice fits perfectly with the dreamy atmosphere.

If I’m allowed to make a suggestion: I would love to hear this without the (somewhat harsh) bassdrum and snare at the beginning. Later on in the song (when these are gone or replaced by toms) it suddenly sounds more dreamy, refined and open.

My two copper  :)

Cheers, Dorian
Dorian Urac is a home-recording songwriter and musician.
SOUNDCLOUD: https://soundcloud.com/dorian-urac

PaulAds

• Stadium Tour
  • Haemorrhaging Enthusiasm
« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2024, 09:18:40 PM »
Aw, this is lovely, Paul @Paul V

I don't think I've met a more accomplished songwriter than your good self.

Your trademark beautiful melodies and insightful, heart-on-your-sleeve lyrics are here in abundance. The other thing that occurred to me as I was listening to this (again) was that it so often sounds like your songs are your way of trying to make the world a better place. There's nearly always that sense of fighting a losing battle...but what would we amount to if there was no fight left in us?

It's said that a person can't really be capable of gentleness if they aren't capable of genuine ferocity...and I often think there's a very powerful force that drives you to write the way you do.

I never hear any ego in anything you do...just the desire to make something beautiful out of all of this tragedy.

This place is richer by far when you're around.
heart of stone, feet of clay, knob of butter

Paul V

• Busker
« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2024, 09:12:39 AM »
Good morning @rightly,

thank you buddy.  I've downed tools since writing the the album so quickly.   That was a month or so ago and now I feel the urge to write again.  Unfortunately I have to suppress the urge as once I start, it takes over my life and there are so many other demands on time.  Once again, thank you.

Paul

@moraamarolaloba,

thank you for writing this review. 

Accordion is such a beautiful instrument.  I guess I have to write in a poetic manner. I do so to create something beautiful from ugly observations of life. 

Many thanks

Paul

@Elvis Nash,

I'm going to let the 'f' word ride.  I have no aspirations for this song other than to concisely express my feelings.  Usually, I stay clear of the use of stronger words in  my writing but I believe this word perfectly conveys my thoughts.  No need to tailor this as it's sole purpose is to exist as the original thought which simply flowed during the initial writing process.

Thank you

Paul

Hey John, @pompeyjazz,  it gave me such a buzz to write a song each day as it reminded me that I'm still abe to write effectively.  It was an accomplishment because each one was written after a hard day at work.  I believe that I allocated a maximum of 90 minutes to each new composition.  as you said, it represents a snapshot of my thoughts for a particular month.  As you know, I went on to produce 5 of the new songs.  I continued the writing process after the 7 or 8 that I sent you and stopped writing at 12 songs.  I believe that you enjoyed  'A Tidal Wave From Hell'.  I was really pleased with the emotion in some of the lyrics to various songs. A shed a tear to the following lyric  ''Miami or Sterling, the school yard and the zoo" from" 'A Piece Of My heart'.  I think if a song can evoke this, then the writing is honest. 

A big thank you to you John.

Paul

Good morning @Dorian,

Drums have always been my nemesis.  However, I love to include toms.  I always think that they bring something extra to a drum track   My studio is currently packed away so I doubt if I will revisit this song. 

Many thanks for your kind review

Paul

@PaulAds,

Thank you so much for your thoughtful and generous review.

I think, you clearly see that I wear my heart on my sleeve during the writing process.  When I first began to write, I did so to create something that I believed would be perfect.  This has been my response to disappointment, injustice, hurt and ugliness, either experienced or observed in life.  Equally, life can can also be quite beautiful. 

I'm aware that I can't control what happens during a life-time. When my life is out of control, I write to readdress the balance. (I guess that I had some major balancing to do in March when I wrote the album). Creating beauty within a musical framework is achievable. It's my response to the ferocity of living and the disappointment of life experiences. We all have internal battles and are required to fight back in numerous ways in order to get through this life journey. 

Writing is like a balm.  Without the struggles and beauty, I doubt that poetry and music would be written.

thank you @PaulAds.

Paul

« Last Edit: May 25, 2024, 09:16:15 AM by Paul V »

Elvis Nash

• Solo Gig
  • https://nashvillecalifornia.com/listen-page/
« Reply #8 on: May 25, 2024, 06:33:03 PM »
 Profanity is quiet common in 2024 music  , No biggee , unless you promote it , then u might have a problem.
she has ads running , Hard to say . I'll take a guess , only certain company's will tie in their brand with her and her song. I doubt a company like "Huggies"... would be associated with Fuck You songs. The word fuck means sex , So saying the word to offend someone makes no sense anyway. I remember telling my dad that at around 14 years old , He shook his head and walked out of the room.

ChrisPrice

• Platinum Album
« Reply #9 on: May 27, 2024, 03:53:55 PM »
When I saw the strong language flag I was expecting something raw and angry. But then I saw who's song it was and I knew it would be something classy. And this certainly is Paul. Fabulous playing and a delicate vocal which is what I've come to expect from you. I'm loving those lyrics too. Indeed it's such a lottery. Brilliant :)