konalavadome

The Man from the Sun

• 11 Replies

Dorian

• Busker
  • Arghhh!!!
    • Dorian Urac Soundcloud
« on: April 13, 2024, 06:32:34 AM »
Well that was fun. I went with doctor Who in his time machine, going all the way back to the sixties, where I recorded this song. Yes, it has a doctor Who-ish theremin, but to be honest it’s just a synth trying to be a theremin (don’t tell anyone ;)

https://soundcloud.com/dorian-urac/the-man-from-the-sun?si=667bf44a1648446da60ab2a23fce0cc2&utm_source=clipboard&utm_medium=text&utm_campaign=social_sharing

Although it (hopefully) sounds pretty sixties, the music is created using solemnly VSTs. While mixing I used VSTs simulating vintage equipment like vari-mu compressors, passive Pultec EQ and tape simulation.

My question for you: Does is sound vintage enough? Is the mix alright? I ask, because I had a hard time getting this to sound vintage while not becoming boxy or harsh. Maybe it still sounds too hifi? Someone at Synthforum (= Dutch) said I should add clicks and audio drop outs and such. Also not sure on that.

Lyrics
Every now and then
A saint comes from the sun
Always right about moral virtues
Yes, he knows it all

He’ll come to your doorstep
To blast defences away
A lovin’ kind of hatred in his eye
It’s with love from the sun

Sun ray through your window
It boils the house
If you don’t take up his kindness
You’ll be toast in the sun

Oh how his knowledge is so great compared to us all
Feel your own insignificance
in the shadow of the man from the sun

Oh so bright in his wisdom
He burns away the doubt
There’s no reason to have any fears
Unless you say he’s not right

A crack in your window
It’s too late to run
You’ll be cooked and grilled
By the man from the sun

A stone through your window
Storm wrecks town
He’ll never be sorry
For the man from the sun
He knows it all
« Last Edit: April 13, 2024, 07:17:32 AM by Dorian »
Dorian Urac is a home-recording songwriter and musician.
SOUNDCLOUD: https://soundcloud.com/dorian-urac

MonnoDB

• Stadium Tour
    • Soundcloud Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2024, 10:58:37 AM »
‘A lovin’ kind of hatred in his eyes’! Love that! Love the lyrics / theme.

I got Bowie meets War of the Worlds meets circus and I absolutely love it!

It defo has that retro feel for me. 60s? Not sure - I see my refs are 70s but it definitely has retro vibes and if you told me it was a 60s track, I’d believe it.

Arrangement/ production/ mix sound great although I’m no expert in that area. Sounds great to these ears!

Great track - big thumbs up and kudos from me.

K

moraamarolaloba

• Stadium Tour
    • Mora Amaro La Loba
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2024, 12:32:45 PM »
Well that was fun. I went with doctor Who in his time machine, going all the way back to the sixties, where I recorded this song. Yes, it has a doctor Who-ish theremin, but to be honest it’s just a synth trying to be a theremin (don’t tell anyone ;)

https://soundcloud.com/dorian-urac/the-man-from-the-sun?si=667bf44a1648446da60ab2a23fce0cc2&utm_source=clipboard&utm_medium=text&utm_campaign=social_sharing

Although it (hopefully) sounds pretty sixties, the music is created using solemnly VSTs. While mixing I used VSTs simulating vintage equipment like vari-mu compressors, passive Pultec EQ and tape simulation.

My question for you: Does is sound vintage enough? Is the mix alright? I ask, because I had a hard time getting this to sound vintage while not becoming boxy or harsh. Maybe it still sounds too hifi? Someone at Synthforum (= Dutch) said I should add clicks and audio drop outs and such. Also not sure on that.

Lyrics
Every now and then
A saint comes from the sun
Always right about moral virtues
Yes, he knows it all

He’ll come to your doorstep
To blast defences away
A lovin’ kind of hatred in his eye
It’s with love from the sun

Sun ray through your window
It boils the house
If you don’t take up his kindness
You’ll be toast in the sun

Oh how his knowledge is so great compared to us all
Feel your own insignificance
in the shadow of the man from the sun

Oh so bright in his wisdom
He burns away the doubt
There’s no reason to have any fears
Unless you say he’s not right

A crack in your window
It’s too late to run
You’ll be cooked and grilled
By the man from the sun

A stone through your window
Storm wrecks town
He’ll never be sorry
For the man from the sun
He knows it all

Love the lead synth that appears here and there, vocals have the color the story needs, wonderful lines and atmosphere!!!
Doctor Who, you did it gain!!!
I did not know that to live we had to die so many times
My Youtube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCAaK7mFK7fUpf1E99I1Qtow

Bankie

• Solo Gig
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2024, 05:25:16 PM »
Really love the production, and in my opinion you really nailed the vintage sound, not just with the theremin, but all of your instrument choices and the big wide sound. Personally, I would not add audio artifacts - you want a vintage sound, but making it sound worse on purpose is just distracting. There's no wrong answer, so you should go with what feels right to you.

Regarding the song itself: it's all very good, but I feel it's a little too repetitive and a catchy chorus would have made this something I would have lined up to listen to again later.

Dorian

• Busker
  • Arghhh!!!
    • Dorian Urac Soundcloud
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2024, 08:51:14 PM »
@MonnoDB
To me, it truly means something when you say you love it, for you make such great music yourself, and you also have such a wonderful voice. I can’t even express how cheerful this makes me.

@moraamarolaloba
I've come to know you as someone with a weak spot for spooky things like vampires and zombies and such  :) , so I guess it's the theremin synth-sound you like (which makes a spooky sort of whoo-hoooo-whooo sound).

a catchy chorus would have made this something I would have lined up to listen to again later.

@Bankie
Instead of a modern verse+chorus type of song, I tried an archaic 32 bar progression, which was popular from the 1930s throughout the 1950s. This form didn’t include a chorus as we know it today. With my song, it’s not an AABA progression, but a somewhat lesser known ABAC progression, which goes like this:

During 8 bars sing line A type
During 8 bars sing line B type (which sounds a bit like an answer to line A)
During 8 bars sing line A type again
During 8 bars sing line C type, which is a variation of line B, ending with a drum break (could also have been a 7 chord type of thingy), to make it start all over again

But, I must admit, such progressions were mostly popular in music for musicals and in ballads, less common in upbeat 60s popmusic, so I wasn’t entirely sure if it would work out. Still, it seemed to fit the vintage vibe I was going for.

Nevertheless, I do understand why you miss a chorus. My approach might probably be a bit too out-of-fashion for modern ears.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2024, 08:58:38 PM by Dorian »

rightly

• Stadium Tour
  • newer Soundcloud https://soundcloud.com/2rightly
    • My cloud o' sound.
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2024, 10:37:52 PM »
A bit hungover today
I put off the listen until I felt better.

I really liked this one
Very unique and interesting sounds
The whole approach is strange and masterful.
An excellent production

Going all out with the theatrical voice,
I imagine it's not for everyone but I find it refreshing to hear a singer going off the road more travelled.

Top drawer material
It's either this or that, then again it might be the other. 

I can promise you a future of slow decline.

Don't eat the yellow snow

And there you have it. 

https://soundcloud.com/2rightly

https://soundcloud.com/rightly

subvibe

• Solo Gig
« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2024, 02:48:07 PM »

Hi

a great retro feel to the song , i assume this was the intention
& you nailed it spot on

great stuff

subvibe

Elvis Nash

• Solo Gig
  • https://nashvillecalifornia.com/listen-page/
« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2024, 05:19:28 PM »
it does sound a bit Bowieish man ... Cool song

calafinestrat

• Busker
« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2024, 11:28:25 PM »
That reminded me some early 60s Telstar style backing and the voice was like the monster mash. Great song, well done

Dorian

• Busker
  • Arghhh!!!
    • Dorian Urac Soundcloud
« Reply #9 on: April 18, 2024, 07:25:08 AM »
@rightly
@subvibe
@Elvis Nash
@calafinestrat

Finally some time to respond. Thank you all for taking the time to listen and for your comments. it’s truly appreciated.

@calafinestrat Love Telstar! It has a clavioline, which is a 1940s precursor of analog synthesizers. Almost got my hands on a broken one a few years back, but I decided it was too hard to get it fixed.  :'( Love the old sounds!

Jambrains

• Platinum Album
  • Jim Steinman ftw!
    • Jambrains
« Reply #10 on: April 20, 2024, 10:00:47 AM »
Vintage sound? Check, mission complete!
Click and audio drop outs? I'd say that would be overdoing it.
Overall I think the vocals need to come up a bit in the mix but that might also be me not being a native English speaker and hence need a bit more of the vocals to make out the lyrics.
Cool song!

ChrisPrice

• Platinum Album
« Reply #11 on: April 21, 2024, 12:13:48 AM »
Unlike @rightly, I'm not hung over (yet), but I am enjoying a beer or three while I check out what's happening here. I can't say that I'd rush out to buy an album of this material, but it's clever and hits the spot when it comes vintage eccentricity. Now, where's my tardis! :)