Destiny's Men

• 15 Replies

CorkingCrackBand

• Platinum Album
« on: April 08, 2024, 02:56:58 PM »

I'm only really looking for thoughts on the mix on this one as the song is set otherwise. I was half-inclined to do some cool fading effect on a chorus to aid the songs dynamics but couldn't be bothered in the end.  ;D I might revisit that idea if people feel there's a bit too much of a repetitious feel.

Are you the one I heard about?
Such a man as to save us from the end?
From all our ends

They speak of you when drinking
You're spoken of in murmurs
They cry to you when singing
You’re prayed about with whispers
I have seen too many men run towards the guns
To find that you’re nothing more than spectre
My wife has cried too many times into the night
For you to disrespect her

So show yourself
Show you belong
Show us that there’s nothing wrong
Tell me that it won’t be long
Tell me while you sing this song
Go well
Now sing this song
Go well
Now sing this song

Lots of people
They say that they can’t see
Things that they know are really there
I myself, well, I would rather be
A man of truth
A man who really cares

I look to you
To show the way
To tell me who I really am
To tell me who I am

Listen to your hearts men - do you want your women and children to die just because you’re not willing to kill? That’s who you’re fighting for! Look into the eye of our enemy and you will see not man but beast - they will do anything to destroy us and we must do anything to destroy them! Our cause is pure and noble - those who say otherwise are cowards and traitors to our cause. Eradicate them from our ranks. Purge them! March onward men. Destiny calls! Onward! Onward! Onwards!
/
They place fear in you. They are using your fear! We must find a way to be better! See hope in your fellow men. See love, see humanity - reduce them to animals and you reduce yourself likewise. Do not allow them to make you fear! Be brave. Be strong. Please listen! You must listen... or all is lost.

Like my shadow you follow me
You are the ghost of all the men of destiny
The men of destiny

So, take up your arms
It will never be the same
We fight for right
We fight in freedom’s name
The hour is waiting
The times are moving fast
Our wills are strong
We’ll march into the past
With you to guide us
A beacon in the dark
Our path is straight
Your fire in our hearts
We know you’re with us
You’ll only leave our just side when
Your time is done
With Destiny‘s Men

So show yourself
Show you belong
Show us that there’s nothing wrong
Tell me that it won’t be long
Tell me while you sing this song
Go well
Now sing this song
Go well
Now sing this song

C’mon

Carlonely

• Busker
    • SOUNDCLOUD
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2024, 04:22:58 PM »
Concerning the sound, I'd make the voice louder and get rid of some of the low end as it makes the song more doomy than it actually is.
The song itself is not repetetive at all, in fact I really really like it for its "rock opera feel"! So no need to rework it :)
Carlonely - JonasK

rightly

• Stadium Tour
  • newer Soundcloud https://soundcloud.com/2rightly
    • My cloud o' sound.
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2024, 04:34:52 PM »
This huge! Lol.
Quite ambitious
Impressive.
I can't critique it very well,
 I think you'd need at least an essay at least.
The background vocals are well performed
and brought in very well.
The choir is awesome.
Its really dynamic in places
It's been a very long time since I actively listened to a track over
 12 minutes long.
A lot to process.
It's either this or that, then again it might be the other. 

I can promise you a future of slow decline.

Don't eat the yellow snow

And there you have it. 

https://soundcloud.com/2rightly

https://soundcloud.com/rightly

CorkingCrackBand

• Platinum Album
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2024, 06:56:50 PM »
Hi @Carlonely

Thanks for the bass comment - I have tweaked it a little (won't bore you with what  ;D ) but I'm not convinced it's made much of an impact. I wanted quite a big, meaty, weighty feel to it but with so many instruments alongside my poor production skills, it does lead to a lot of bleed and a bit of a muddy mix. I'm definitely still on a steep learning curve with mixing/mastering. One day!  ;)

Hi @rightly

My apologies to both of you - I meant to say at the top that it's a long song and to not feel obliged to listen to it through as I just wanted a bit of feedback on the mix.  ;D Thank for listening - it is gratifying that you would invest that much time. I am pleased it seemed to not drag too much as that is always a concern with a longer song - or any of my songs.  ;D

Thanks again,

CCB

pompeyjazz

• Stadium Tour
  • pompeyjazz
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2024, 09:28:45 PM »
This is magnificent stuff @CorkingCrackBand Big time dramatic music to accompany the intelligent and sensitive lyrics. As you’re looking for production tips I would be inclined to bring out some of the brightness in the piano and work on the separation. This is such an accomplishment composition by an extremely innovative musician

Dorian

• Busker
  • Arghhh!!!
    • Dorian Urac Soundcloud
« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2024, 07:34:42 AM »
@CorkingCrackBand
I’m listening to this at the breakfast table at small laptop speakers, so I can only tell you very little on the mix. What I can tell is that it sounds balanced, warm and professional on a small speaker system. The bass comes through nicely and everything sounds clear within its own space in the frequency spectrum. Also the leveling of instruments seems fine. (Lots of folks listen on small speaker systems, so it’s always something to take into consideration when mixing.)

The only thing I do notice on small speakers is that the lead vocal seems a bit separated from the rest of the mix. Not sure if it’s an issue with the timbre or frequencies of the voice conflicting with other instruments, or that the vocal can use some more compression or reverb. It might also help to add some saturation to the vocals, so the timbre / harmonics changes a bit.

My two copper.
Cheers, Dorian

BTW: That choir is epic!
« Last Edit: April 09, 2024, 07:38:40 AM by Dorian »
Dorian Urac is a home-recording songwriter and musician.
SOUNDCLOUD: https://soundcloud.com/dorian-urac

MonnoDB

• Stadium Tour
    • Soundcloud Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2024, 09:17:51 PM »
This is fab! Sorry @CorkingCrackBand, I can't really help much on the mix but I'm listening anyway :) !! Love the drive of the chorus (Go show yourself..) after and before the calmer verses - the contrast works beautifully.. as do the following sections. The spoken word - just great!

It's just so very inventive - can't imagine tackling something this long and complex - I'm ready to throw the computer out the window by the time I'm done with a 3-4 minute mix!!

Also - I really like the piano! Maybe not surprisingly!

Great work! Very impressive..

K

moraamarolaloba

• Stadium Tour
    • Mora Amaro La Loba
« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2024, 11:11:25 AM »
You are one of the creators whose lyrics I appreciate the most, I do not detract from the rest among whom I focus, perhaps it is due to affinity in thought when dealing with certain topics.
I like the surprises that appear throughout the song, (I think most of your songs are a journey through...)
Very good work, I like the strings you use and how the voices sound... And the guitar, very successful
Very emotive

Que tengas un buen día!

@CorkingCrackBand
I did not know that to live we had to die so many times
My Youtube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCAaK7mFK7fUpf1E99I1Qtow

CorkingCrackBand

• Platinum Album
« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2024, 09:30:17 PM »
Hi @pompeyjazz

Thanks so much on the advice - if this wasn't such a behemoth I'd say you could take a pop at the mix!  ;D Separation in busy mixes is something I'm coming to terms with and thank you for the advice.  :)

Hi @Dorian

As per John, thanks for the advice, I'm tweaking to mix periodically trying to just nudge it in the right direction. Thanks.

Hi @MonnoDB

I'm too low on myself to blame the computer - I just beg that it works - I've got a little prayer matt and everything. 🤪Thank you for your kind words.

Hi @moraamarolaloba

I think that might be the kindest compliment I have received on my lyrics (most people don't like them  ;D) Thank you.

All the best,

CCB

ChrisPrice

• Platinum Album
« Reply #9 on: April 11, 2024, 10:50:51 PM »
This is one of the the most extraordinary pieces I've heard in literally decades. You must have spent forever putting it together. I won't pretend I fully understand the lyrics, but it all comes over as very profound and, true to form, very daring. I can offer no crits as this is so well done. If I'm honest, it isn't the sort of thing I'd normally listen to, but that doesn't stop it from being great. Well done. :)

Bankie

• Solo Gig
« Reply #10 on: April 12, 2024, 12:57:43 PM »
Well, that was ambitious. Quite an incredible effort - very well done to you, Sir. Focusing on mix (taking the word "mix" loosely), there are 2 things that slapped me in the face. One is that the piano feels too mono, especially at the beginning and in the end sections - definitely needs something; maybe a little reverb or a widener like Izotope's Relay. The second is the rhythmic part just after 6 mins: it could be made more dramatic in a number of ways - more attack on the bass, staccato cellos, or staccato electric guitar with a bit of gain.

CorkingCrackBand

• Platinum Album
« Reply #11 on: April 16, 2024, 12:46:00 PM »
Hi @ChrisPrice and @Bankie

Thank you so much for your thoughtful responses. I'll take it all on board.  :)

Take it easy,

CCB

Elvis Nash

• Solo Gig
  • https://nashvillecalifornia.com/listen-page/
« Reply #12 on: April 16, 2024, 03:52:56 PM »
Wow that's a ton of work man , a lot of cool nuances going thru this
This must of took you awhile to nail all that , very cool

kevysc

• Platinum Album
  • I'm Working from Memory
    • Your Song Contest
« Reply #13 on: April 16, 2024, 05:27:10 PM »
@CorkingCrackBand  This is quite an EPIC! It's 4 times longer than I normally like, but amazingly, you held my interest throughout! A fantastic piece of prog rock, with incredible invention, thoughtful dynamics and truly engaging lyrics. Regarding the mix, it sounds very good to me. One small point, the synth strings at the beginning sound a little thin. But this is truly a magnificent composition, well done

Kevin

calafinestrat

• Busker
« Reply #14 on: April 16, 2024, 07:31:06 PM »
This sounded very theatrical to me. I could imagine it
being performed on stage as part of an epic musical!!
Loved the occasional guitar punctuations. Great stuff.