High Life

• 14 Replies

kevysc

• Platinum Album
  • I'm Working from Memory
    • Your Song Contest
« on: March 29, 2024, 02:27:15 PM »
Would love to get some feedback on this one ...

https://soundcloud.com/kevinism1961/high-life?si=43dd56a22b8e4a96a62567d51ebb0dce&utm_source=clipboard&utm_medium=text&utm_campaign=social_sharing

High Life

V1
You wait for me
You know I can meet your needs
With cash in hand
You're waiting for the Man
I can give you something
To take the edge off the way you feel
I can give you something
The only thing that's real

Pre-Chorus
There's no need to hurry
Take your time
There's no need to worry
It's alright, it's alright

Chorus
You've living the high life
You're living the high life

V2
I know your type
You never will let go
You stumble through life
This life is all you know
So it's easy money
And keeps you running on the same old track
It's easy money
'Cause you keep coming back

Pre-Chorus

Chorus

Bridge
I've been in this game for years and years
Seen so many people disappear
I don't care

Final Chorus
I'm living the high life
I'm living the high life
I'm living the high life
I'm living the high life

Outro
I've got you where I want you

Elvis Nash

• Solo Gig
  • https://nashvillecalifornia.com/listen-page/
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2024, 04:55:14 PM »
Hey man
Cool love song , I haven't done one in while being married lol , being yelled at kinda dims the love songs .
Very cool chorus with BGVS
nice job , Very catchy !!!

subvibe

• Solo Gig
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2024, 07:18:52 PM »

Hi

Great Song , get a Bowie vibe from it
like the High Life harmonies

Well Done
subvibe

moraamarolaloba

• Stadium Tour
    • Mora Amaro La Loba
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2024, 08:54:21 PM »
Very authentic!!! True style and really catchy, guitars wraps so good the backing, love this bass, and good voice, strength!! Good one @kevysc
Have a nice weekend!!!

High Life lalalalala.
I did not know that to live we had to die so many times
My Youtube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCAaK7mFK7fUpf1E99I1Qtow

Carlonely

• Busker
    • SOUNDCLOUD
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2024, 01:25:48 PM »
Good work man!
I really like the stripped down arrangement with a prominent bass line and not too much guitar. As mentioned above there is some sort of Bowie vibe in this song and in your voice which makes the song even more special. I hear some R.E.M. (Monster), too although your voice sounds way too british for that :D
Carlonely - JonasK

Nick Ryder

• Solo Gig
    • YouTube Channel
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2024, 03:11:41 PM »
Hey @kevysc

A nice confident and bold production. It has all the ingredients and I like the fact you've paid more attention to the drum track.

Good build in the chorus with the harmonies too.

Do you mind me asking how you recorded the bass because it really punches through so well.

popitup

• Busker
« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2024, 02:47:53 AM »
@kevysc  . . . I find this song "really delivers", and like the way it builds to the ending. Also, appreciate the very obvious and catchy CHORUS (I say this because I've heard so many songs where you don't know it's the chorus, until the song is over) Really liking your strong commanding vocal delivery.

Dorian

• Busker
  • Arghhh!!!
    • Dorian Urac Soundcloud
« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2024, 06:38:26 AM »
@kevysc
Excellent song! Love the overall sound of it and the “High life” chorus is pretty catchy. Indeed Bowie vibes.

The only minor thing I noticed is that the guitar riff in the verses is a loop. It’s somewhat noticeable at the start of each bar. Not sure if it’s really a ‘problem’ for most probably it's only noticeable to guitar players and mixing engineers I guess, but nevertheless it got my attention. Then again: it's just a minor side note.

Same as @Nick Ryder, I’m very interested to hear what gear you used. Especially drums (these sound great), bass, guitar and mixing tools and such. Hope you will share such information, for I’m interested to learn from co-songwriters. (If you don’t like the idea of sharing such info: no worries. I understand  ;) )

Cheers, Dorian
« Last Edit: April 04, 2024, 06:40:38 AM by Dorian »
Dorian Urac is a home-recording songwriter and musician.
SOUNDCLOUD: https://soundcloud.com/dorian-urac

kevysc

• Platinum Album
  • I'm Working from Memory
    • Your Song Contest
« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2024, 09:09:48 AM »
@Carlonely  Glad you like it, although with me being Irish, not sure about the British reference :)

@popitup Thanks ... a couple of people suggested I add some variation to the chorus, but in this case, I think repetition works ( plus the change in the last chorus from You're to I'm gives a payoff imho :) )

@Nick Ryder @Dorian Glad you like the bass and drums. For the bass, I EQed out anything below 200 Hz for everything except the drums and bass. In addition, I added an EQ boost around 50 Hz for the bass. 

As always, I am using EZDrummer 3. However, wheras I was previously using the "Bandmate" feature to automatically generate a drum track, in this case I have manually built the drum track by selecting (and in some cases editing) drum loops. It's more work, but you end up with something a little more satisfying.

Thanks also for the comment on the looping. I will take a closer look when I am back from burning up the golf courses in Spain :)

Kevin

MonnoDB

• Stadium Tour
    • Soundcloud Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 05, 2024, 02:41:03 PM »
Hey @kevysc - super catchy chorus - great progression. I really like that guitar riff - I did think I'd like it with a little less distortion / cleaner but I can see how the dirt fits the theme. Great bouncy bass line. Really great energy to the whole thing. Vocal of course great and punchy.. I'll be humming this one there rest of the day I predict.

Fab!

K

Bankie

• Solo Gig
« Reply #10 on: April 06, 2024, 09:38:08 PM »
That's a super song you've got there. It's curious how it feels raw (in a good way) even though there's plenty going on. Perhaps because the vocals are quite dry. I love how you go for it on some of those lyrics - sounds great. I'd be the first person to criticise a chorus that doesn't do its job, but I agree that repetition really works well here. Nothing I can find to offer improvement advice. Great job - well done :)

rightly

• Stadium Tour
  • newer Soundcloud https://soundcloud.com/2rightly
    • My cloud o' sound.
« Reply #11 on: April 08, 2024, 09:29:21 AM »
Yes, raw, in a good way
Really like the drama here
"No need to hurry" really gets it going

The guitar is very strong on it.
Guitars are often demanding, I find.

It is a really good song, though
More restrained strumming
and let another, tamer instrument articulate more
I think that would make the strength of the song .ore accessible
Good stuff  Kevin. 👏
It's either this or that, then again it might be the other. 

I can promise you a future of slow decline.

Don't eat the yellow snow

And there you have it. 

https://soundcloud.com/2rightly

https://soundcloud.com/rightly

CorkingCrackBand

• Platinum Album
« Reply #12 on: April 08, 2024, 02:39:35 PM »
Hi @kevysc

I reviewed this elsewhere but relisten I really love how tight this one is. I believe I single out the bass last time but the whole thing is really well produced - possibly the best production from you. Lovely thick meaty sound and your biting vocal is the icing on the cake.

I always appreciate your songs more and more on further listens and that's a really joyous thing and a sign of quality.

All the best,

CCB

Jambrains

• Platinum Album
  • Jim Steinman ftw!
    • Jambrains
« Reply #13 on: April 20, 2024, 01:23:02 PM »
A very strong and catchy chorus and the BVs really gives it a lift!
A good "drive" in it, the only thing I missed a little was some kind of breakdown to allow the listener to catch his/her breath for a second.
I'd consider lowering the guitar in the verses a little since it competing with the vox a bit.
Nothing more to say really except: well done!"

ChrisPrice

• Platinum Album
« Reply #14 on: April 21, 2024, 12:06:35 AM »
In some ways this takes me back to David Bowie's early Spiders period. It's perhaps because your voice is not entirely dissimilar. Whatever, I really like this one. You write some great rock n roll songs with some interesting twists and turns. A great track. :)