Not the One

• 18 Replies

DanTylerMusic

« Reply #15 on: March 27, 2024, 08:37:12 PM »
ok,

1st verse is ok, lose the "should i hide from the world outside" line you dont need it, the line before leads to the chorus better.

the chorus speaks about doing that thing again, what is that thing? and then it gets lost talking about letting it go or pulling hair out, then it goes into a kind of bridge part but its not a bridge its more of an extra chorus and the song then goes from being about feeling weird to loving someone?

what is the story the song is telling?

Nick Ryder

• Solo Gig
    • YouTube Channel
« Reply #16 on: April 04, 2024, 08:09:12 AM »
Thanks so much, everyone.

I've actually re recorded this song with real drums, better sounding guitars, vocal and bass and I feel its sounding much better now.

Dorian

• Busker
  • Arghhh!!!
    • Dorian Urac Soundcloud
« Reply #17 on: April 04, 2024, 08:40:32 AM »
@Nick Ryder
Hm, for some reason I missed this song when scrolling earlier through the finished songs forum  ??? Nevertheless, it’s pretty uplifting and indeed (as others mentioned) proper brit pop. Also reminds me a bit of 80s soft punk like some songs from The Descendants and Wire and such. Your voice has exactly the right tone for this type of music. The lyrics are pretty clear and relatable.

Minor tip: I'm not entirely a mixing expert (only just learning  :), but I guess boosting the bass guitar in the midrange (200 - 600 hz) a tiny bit makes the bass cut through the mix better when listening on a small system (like laptop speakers). Other than that: it truly sounds great!

Cheers, Dorian
« Last Edit: April 04, 2024, 08:42:18 AM by Dorian »
Dorian Urac is a home-recording songwriter and musician.
SOUNDCLOUD: https://soundcloud.com/dorian-urac

Nick Ryder

• Solo Gig
    • YouTube Channel
« Reply #18 on: April 04, 2024, 09:01:26 AM »
@Dorian

That's very kind. Thank you.

Hopefully when the new version is mixed and mastered (not be me because I'm rubbish :) ), the bass will cut through better. When I re recoded it, I used a DI box and miced up an amp, so there's 2 bass tracks - a DI and a real amp!!!