Songwriter Forum > The Bar

Passion or precision?

(1/1)

cowparsleyman:
@rightly - Mentioned that precision can stifle the passion in a song, is this true? or do you need precision to generate passion?

I'm keen to know

Nick Ryder:
Too broad a question as it all depends on the type of song it is.

rightly:
There have been artists
(Still plenty about for all I know)
Who've had both
That's asking a lot.

Sometimes it takes a team effort

Jack kerouac
Neal cassady

Tom was driven
Jerry was smart

Where would Peter Gabriel be without both?
Prince would be Rick James without his readiness for details.

ScottLevi:
I certainly think it can work both ways.

If you have the ability and understanding to precisely communicate your intended feeling; I think that can create some really spectacular and passion works. Though I imagine this is a very difficult skill to master and a sign of a true professional.

There's probably a curve of learning where precision does take away from the passion of a song, but then it can be overcome. Think you have to understand that on your journey; you're creations are probably going to lose passion until you learn enough to 'put it back in'. Took me a while not to hate Rightly when he steered away form his raw and acaustic passion-filled gems https://soundcloud.com/rightly/songwithoutaheart - but he won me over eventually :P

cowparsleyman:
I'll post my thoughts as they surface...when I'm creating EDM tunes I get very passionate in the precision of it all, ensuring drops fall bang on the beat, aligning BV's to sound really hooky, might spend hours cjhoosing the right Kick or snare tuning to match the pad or arp, then mixing to within a dB to make the thing really glossy, I often dance about in my chair when the groove is right, but the passion comes from the sum of precision, I wouldn't get that vibe if it was sloppy...But I tend to do that with all my songs (I just remember the EDM vibes more than the others)...so I just shot my self in the foot...I'll get my coat...

Conversely I think rubato delivery can be pure passion, but not easy to away from a virtuoso situation.

I beleive that the Wow from watching a shredder steam their way over the fretboard is Wow becasue I can't do that, not wow because it's so passionate, many times it's merely firing off superpractised licks, rather have one note that oooozes feel.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

Go to full version