Melodyne Uses

• 6 Replies

cowparsleyman

• Stadium Tour
  • What would you rather be or a wasp?
« on: January 23, 2024, 01:17:01 PM »
Many of us have Melodyne Essential shipped free with our DAWs, and it's quite a useful tool.

What does it do? changes what you've played into blobs that you can move about, here's a simple example

You record you singing 3 notes, A, B, C, but listening to it the C sounds out of tune, by starting Melodyne, you will be able to get it in tune again, by moving it up or down.

No need for Antares Autotune

Simple.

But you can also (depending on the version - I use the Studio version) (the essentials doesn't do that much fancy stuff)
Move it from side to side, so when it starts can be changed...
Or shorten or lengthen the note

Also..
You can copy and paste the note to make a harmony..or a chord (if it's a instrument part) it's very good at that.

I use it most for tuning Vocals and creating harmonies if your singer doesn't do harmonies very accurately, or you have a limited bunch of stems/takes to work with.

It's one of the tools I just would find it hard to do what I do with out it.

No I don't work for Melodyne.

Hope this helps

Rich

PeteS

• Platinum Album
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2024, 04:02:16 PM »
Hi Rich, I tried it as you know and even did an upgrade but now it's gathering dust.  Logic Pro's Flex is just so good and easy to use.  Melodyne may be more subtle I suppose but I can't see me switching across.
New album out now - Wrong Time, Wrong Place : https://open.spotify.com/album/7AKxi8xiendb9dY22v4QnP?si=AR0VZ1pjSDOwVosifVd_sA
Instagram @echodogsofficial

Elvis Nash

• Solo Gig
  • https://nashvillecalifornia.com/listen-page/
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2024, 11:15:33 PM »
Yes my studio uses it , If a note is flat or sharp in vocal , just raise or lower to be in key , no biggee

cowparsleyman

• Stadium Tour
  • What would you rather be or a wasp?
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2024, 12:04:07 PM »
@PeteS @Elvis Nash - Thanks for the responses, Pete - I don't know Logic Pro, but if it does what you need then fine, my post was supposed to ignite ideas, there's just so much more Melodyne can do than one usually imagines, it's just not fixing a bum note.. some very useful features, that indeed need a bit of practise to master...

Elvis - Good to know it's available for you in your studio.

It also converts audio to MIDI, which is a common feature these days, so if you want to know how to play a solo you like, convert to midi, and print the dots with the inbuilt staff notation app, in Studio One it's a doddle, (not the solo!)

Elvis Nash

• Solo Gig
  • https://nashvillecalifornia.com/listen-page/
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2024, 03:09:47 PM »
The studio  https://www.studio132.com/about.html where I've recorded 42 songs ( Which I'm surprised its been that many ) has a degree on Pro Tools and music theory. I try not to say to much while his mixing . But yeah he's running auto tune on and off.   We use Melodyne when I say that sounds sharp or flat on a line . (its usually on a end note of a line),  Really he usually catches it before me . The ongoing joke is, music is not cut and dry on what I'm playing or singing on whatever note is suppose to work in a specif key.  I've used another studio , but it was not as pro as studio 132 .

https://www.facebook.com/photo/?fbid=912812896961232&set=a.543540083888517

Bankie

• Solo Gig
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2024, 08:57:28 PM »
I'm quite a heavy user of Melodyne and have the full version, but not often for pitch correction. My main use is to bump up the loudness (amplitude tool) of quieter syllables - I find that the compression turns out much better with that done first. With regards to tuning, I think leaving pitch a little inaccurate sounds more natural, assuming the singing is good to begin with.

I recently remixed/remastered/partly redone the first song where I got another singer (Eric Castiglia) to do lead vocals ("Going Under"). I didn't ask for harmonies originally (which I regret somewhat), but Melodyne was a great tool to create some. Extending the length of some of the notes in the harmony is pretty easy too, and sounds great, especially since it's not at the forefront of the mix.

pompeyjazz

• Stadium Tour
  • pompeyjazz
« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2024, 09:20:34 PM »
I agree that Melodyne certainly has it’s place and is useful for pitching up or down some vocal stuff and works better on backing vocals but the main point is that with a lead vocal take, I would personally prefer to redo the vocal take (or part of it) rather than apply any tuning VSt. Hey, I’ve used it before for sure and it really is impressive but I much prefer to hear a warts and all vocal performance than something stitched together. Maybe 99% of people wouldn’t notice though