Good advice for song writing on the move?

• 9 Replies

Gododdin

• Busker
« on: June 28, 2010, 06:36:31 PM »
Hi all - first post here!  I play guitar (reasonably) and keyboards (not very well) and though I've been playing covers for years, I want to get into song writing.  At home I sit down with my guitar (usually) and can work up a chord sequence fairly easily, but I work full time and spend a lot of time out and about (in car).  So I'd like something unobtrusive that I can take with me as a musical 'notepad'.  I can use a pocket dictating machine for the melody and a notebook that I carry for lyrics but for the life of me I can't keep or hear chords in my head.  Roland used to to a gadget called the Pocket Music Assistant (PMA-5) but that was years ago, and there was also the slightly larger Yamaha QY series, but they were awfully complicated to use.  So, I want to record chords on the move - any ideas?  It doesn't have to be high tec either - if I could do it with a harmonica for example, I would - but I don't think it's possible.  I'm not looking for something to produce a a finished work, just an "idea recorder" for chords.

Thanks, G

tone

• Administrator
  • Stadium Tour
  • Forum Former Führer
  • The People's Democratic Republic of Songwriting
    • Anthony Lane on soundcloud
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2010, 03:58:33 PM »
Hmmm - interesting dilemma!

Thanks for joining the forum by the way, hope you find it to be a great resource :)

I have one thought - might be a bit of an odd one though... What about one of those air powered keyboards?  I don't know what they're called but it's like a cross between a recorder and a keyboard, and it looks like it's for kids.

Kind of like this one:

(Will be around to discuss in more depth when I get my broadband reconnected - using public access at the moment)

:)
New EP: Straitjacket - Listen here

1st track from my upcoming album -- Click to listen -- Thanks!

Please read the rules before posting in the feedback forums http://bit.l

Gododdin

• Busker
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2010, 08:47:09 PM »
Hi Tone -  and thanks for your reply.  You know, that might just fit the bill!  :)  I will do some internet research - I believe it is called a 'melodica'.

tone

• Administrator
  • Stadium Tour
  • Forum Former Führer
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2010, 04:36:42 PM »
Excellent - let us know how you get on?

Eltoniobonio

• Busker
« Reply #4 on: December 25, 2010, 11:11:05 AM »
I write my songs 'In my head' so to speak. When a melody pops in to my head, i hum it into the voice recorder on my mobile phone. If the idea is strong enough, it's not difficult to pick up the guitar and work out your chords when you get home.

DeeDeeHughes

• Busker
« Reply #5 on: December 25, 2010, 11:46:00 PM »
Same here. I sing the melody into the voice recorder on my mobile and develop the song later on my keyboard.

miletteriis

• Busker
« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2011, 05:42:33 PM »
hey, I have the same problem!!
I don't really know what to suggest other than maybe u can write the lyrics and then get to the chords later? or come up with some ideas for topics that u can go through with when u have a guitar? of course it depends on ur thought process when u write, personally i think lyrics are very important so maybe this is an oppertunity to focus on them more! :)

paganskins

• Busker
« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2011, 01:30:35 PM »
I've just started using one of these to work on ear training during my work lunchbreak

http://www.casio.co.uk/Products/Musical_Instruments/Digital_Keyboards/Mini_Keys/SA-47H5/At_a_Glance/

Would that work?

Might be a bit tricky singing along to a melodica  ;)  :D

First post hi BTW

tone

• Administrator
  • Stadium Tour
  • Forum Former Führer
« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2011, 12:22:46 AM »
Hi Paganskins

Thanks for joining the forum :) fancy posting in the introductions board and telling us a bit about yourself?

Good (wo)man :p

Tone :)

hofnerite

• Open Mic
« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2011, 07:46:52 PM »
I want someone like Roland to invent a mini virtual guitar, the size of a mobile phone, 6 strings, 6 frets, all MIDI, headphones and a built in stompbox. There must be a market for it!

In the meantime, I have an HTC smartphone and an app called ChordBOT (http://chordbot.com/) that is absolutely perfect for writing songs on the go, on the bus, anywhere. Just select the chords, tempo and instrument and press play. Great for trying out new sequences when you dont have instruments handy.

Check out ChordBot here -->
« Last Edit: March 23, 2011, 03:40:54 PM by hofnerite »