Backwards writing process

• 3 Replies

watsonad

• Busker
« on: January 22, 2024, 08:47:05 PM »
I am collaborating with a vocalist with no writing experience and really, no musical background at all. He wants to make an album and the only process that he says works for him is for the musicians to come up with some riffs and chord progressions, and then for me (classical composer) to write melodies, and then he'll figure out lyrics to fit what we give him. Granted, my experience is classical composition and jazz arranging and not pop/rock/country song-writing, but my understanding is that the most common processes are to write lyrics, develop a melody that fits them, and then develop the chord structure or develop the melody and chords simultaneously. Either way, the lyrics don't come last. I'm at a bit of loss because I'm not sure how to go about developing a melody without some lyrics to guide me. Any suggestions?

In addition, this vocalist is absolutely enamored with AI in his day job, and I'm pretty sure that his lyric writing process will simply be feeding cues to ChatGPT. I'm not sure how I feel about being a co-writer on songs with lyrics by AI. Anybody have any experience and suggestions? Thanks.

pompeyjazz

• Stadium Tour
  • pompeyjazz
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2024, 09:40:19 PM »
Get another vocalist that you are happy to work with. If you are collaborating then it’s a two way process. Maybe the vocalist can find some AI musicians to make their dreams come true

Wicked Deeds

« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2024, 09:48:07 PM »
Get another vocalist that you are happy to work with. If you are collaborating then it’s a two way process. Maybe the vocalist can find some AI musicians to make their dreams come true
well said John, @pompeyjazz.  There are many approaches to writing: words first, music first, both together, writing to a rhythmic track etc. Ask someone for evidence of their work. Don't waste your time  if they don't know what they are doing unless you are both learning together and enjoying the process. There aren't any worthwhile/satisfactory shortcuts to being a writer. Don't make music bland by using AI. Make it human!

Paul
« Last Edit: January 22, 2024, 09:58:32 PM by Wicked Deeds »

watsonad

• Busker
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2024, 01:23:32 PM »
Thanks for the feedback. I like this guy and want to help him out, but I think I might drive myself crazy with the process. And I really don't like AI to be involved. It has its purposes, but this isn't one of them.