konalavadome

Hey! Long time no see... Here's a new (Ish) song and video.

• 11 Replies

Magic Bones

• Busker
« on: January 22, 2024, 04:43:57 PM »
Hi folks, I stumbled on this forum three years ago, posted a bit and then life got in the way..

I'd pretty much forgotten all about until today, as I'm getting ready to upgrade to a new PC, so I'm moving stuff to external hard drives and saving passwords.

There in my PC was the saved password for and link to this site, so I thought I'd stick some of my recent stuff on here and dip in again in order to find inspiration, motivation etc..

I'm still rubbish and slow at lyrics, but I'm coming back to it with a fresh attitude and have also just got an electric piano, which I'm slowly learning and hoping it will add a new dimension.

Anyway, here's one of mine from a little while back, in which I try to tap into the psyche of what it is to be an Englishman in the 21st Century (with a sideways glance at the USA too) It's already a bit dated and on the nose (little bit of politics, Mrs. Thatch..etc,) but still It's almost a genre exercise in some ways. Anyway, hope you dig it folks.

Bankie

• Solo Gig
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2024, 06:02:22 PM »
While I assume you're going for quite a manic sound, it's just too busy for me to focus on what's in there. I can hear some elements that are working, but IMO it's an uncomfortable listen (and I like thrash metal). I believe posting the lyrics is requested for finished songs - those would be helpful. Sorry I can't be more constructive than to suggest you calm it down a bit :)

Elvis Nash

• Solo Gig
  • https://nashvillecalifornia.com/listen-page/

Magic Bones

• Busker
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2024, 04:34:34 PM »
Thanks for the feedback folks. More to come soon...

pompeyjazz

• Stadium Tour
  • pompeyjazz
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2024, 06:40:25 PM »
@Magic Bones Yeah, it's a bit of a crazy mashup for sure but some good ideas - You might get some more feedback if you post the lyrics and also jump in with a few reviews of other songs

CaliaMoko

• Stadium Tour
  • Strumming on the couch in pigtails
    • Late Bloomers Rock
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2024, 07:32:04 PM »
I agree with Bankie and pompeyjazz. It's a frenetic piece and I mostly didn't understand what was happening. Please post lyrics with your songs. And, like pompeyjazz mentioned, it's a good idea to post feedback for the other members. It's a give-and-take deal. We're mainly a friendly bunch, and we're a lot more likely to keep providing feedback if we get some back.  :D

rightly

• Stadium Tour
  • newer Soundcloud https://soundcloud.com/2rightly
    • My cloud o' sound.
« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2024, 11:49:46 AM »
Oh a lot in here
The sound of the audience is sort of interactive, that's fun.
Seems quite ambitious, ive developed an aversion to easy listening, of late,
 I like the ambition, but it's not coherent
It's just that the sound quality is really off putting.

It'd be good to hear more from you.
It's either this or that, then again it might be the other. 

I can promise you a future of slow decline.

Don't eat the yellow snow

And there you have it. 

https://soundcloud.com/2rightly

https://soundcloud.com/rightly

Magic Bones

• Busker
« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2024, 05:59:52 PM »
Ok, thanks again for the feedback. Not too sure what people mean by frenetic or manic...
It's supposed to be in the tradition of Ray Davies' style music hall stuff, with the emphasis on Britishness, although I'll admit that the ambition outstripped the technical ability. It kinda has three sections musically and I did struggle a bit to get them to flow. For such a short song, it was a bugger to get finished.
I'd probably do it differently if I started it again.

Anyway, for those who requested the lyrics (I didn't realise that was a thing when posting songs, it didn't seem to be when I posted here a few years back), here they are

Look out of your window when you're lonely
And there's no-one else around
Imagine the feeling when we're all set free?
Feet won't even touch the ground

It's only a rumour it just can't be true
I can't get my head 'round this
No matter what you try to tell me
I know ignorance is bliss

Yankee Doodle won't take his medicine
Puts his trust all in the lord
Big Johnny England gets his sovereignty
Lives and dies by his own sword

The earth is dying and we're much too late
And we're worked into the ground
Bread and circuses are what we get
Singing as the ship goes down
Singing as the ship goes down

and for those who'd like to hear the song without all the bells and whistles, here's a live version-

Thanks again for your time folks and I promise to stick around and check out other people's music.

ChrisPrice

• Platinum Album
« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2024, 11:22:54 PM »
I scrolled down and looked at your live performance which I enjoyed. I get the Ray Davies connection. I found it a bit hard to follow if I'm honest, but I think I would have appreciated this more had I been in the audience. Some nice guitar licks btw. :)

kevysc

• Platinum Album
  • I'm Working from Memory
    • Your Song Contest
« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2024, 01:28:21 AM »
@Magic Bones  Agree with others comments that the arrangement is a bit manic and cluttered. I think there is a good song underneath, ( live version gives a better glimpse of this) and I get the Kinks/ Ray Davies style. Would suggest you strip down to just vocals and (rhythm) guitar and built from there

Kevin

Magic Bones

• Busker
« Reply #10 on: January 26, 2024, 11:57:24 AM »
Thanks again folks.

I'll be back soon to listen and post some more of mine. Although, I'm on a long run of shifts at this point (support worker) and not off until next weekend. Looking forward to jumping in again.

Maya Clars

• Solo Gig
  • Follow me on Instagram (@mayaclars)
    • mayaclars.com
« Reply #11 on: February 11, 2024, 10:56:37 PM »
@Magic Bones

A serious song with serious lyrics. The lyrics and video remind me of the movie I watched in 2021 "Don't Look UP" :)

Maya