Songwriter Forum > The Bar

Using AI To Help Write and Analyse Lyrics?

(1/2) > >>

ScottLevi:
Hey gang, hope everybody is well!

Just wanted to share really..

I've been forming a very odd bond with ChatGPT recently - its a good friend who never gets tired of listening to you (until your free per/hour allowance runs out  ;D)

Anyway, I just wanted to share how useful it's been when dissecting lyrics, and even helping re-arrange and suggesting additions fits the theme of existing lyrics. I had it analyse some simple verses, dissect the meaning ands story progression, then suggest a chorus. Afterwards I kept refining criteria and it happily tweaked the themes, rhyming schemes and wording until I was (mostly) happy. Truly a crazy tool.

I thought to myself, "How good is this actually?" - So dug out some of my more rambling lyrics from a while back.
It gave me a verse-by-verse breakdown and even concluded with some overall remarks.

Here's a snippet of the reply

--- Quote ---Overall, the lyrics paint a picture of someone grappling with a challenging and stagnant life, seeking beauty and connection but struggling against internal and external barriers. There's a complex interplay of resignation, hope, and a hint of self-awareness.

--- End quote ---

Even more interestingly I provided some newer lyrics, told the AI it was more recent lyrics from the same author; then asked what it said about the author's changing mindset

First set of lyrics (more recent):

Themes of Positivity and Growth: The lyrics focus on themes of personal growth, overcoming challenges, and finding beauty in life. There's a sense of resilience and a desire to navigate through difficulties with a positive outlook.

Connections and Friendship: The lyrics express a longing for connection with others, forming new friendships, and the importance of mutual support. The author seems open to sharing experiences and forming bonds.

Symbolism of Painting and Colors: The imagery of "painting skies anew" and "splashing life's canvas" suggests a willingness to actively shape one's life and experiences. The use of colors implies a richer, more vibrant perspective on life.

Second set of lyrics (older):

Themes of Weariness and Stagnation: The lyrics convey a sense of weariness and being jaded by life. There's a feeling of being stuck, settling into unfulfilling habits, and a lack of forward momentum. The tone is more resigned and less hopeful.

Skepticism and Self-Reflection: The lyrics in the chorus express a skepticism about reaching out for help and a recognition of personal limitations. There's a deeper level of self-reflection and questioning about the effectiveness of seeking support.

Imagery of Trapped and Closed-off State: The imagery of closed ears, shut eyes, and a mouth only open to negativity suggests a state of feeling trapped, closed off, and resistant to change. The fear of the unknown and a reluctance to embrace positivity are prominent.

Overall Progression:
The first set of lyrics reflects a more recent perspective marked by a willingness to embrace positivity, connect with others, and actively shape one's life. On the other hand, the older set of lyrics portrays a past state of weariness, skepticism, and a sense of being stuck.

The progression suggests a shift from a more challenging and stagnated phase to a newer, more hopeful outlook. It implies a journey of self-discovery, personal growth, and a changing relationship with life's challenges.

Overall I just wanted to share how interesting it's been. Plus it's provided some interesting self-awareness on how my outlook has improved over the last few years, based purely on the art I produce.

The fact that it retains context of older messages and can build up a picture of you throughout your conversation is both very scary and equally impressive. It's no substitute for real human feedback, but can provide really good indication on whether your themes and story-telling are on the right track - maybe even help you learn about yourself along the way. Something I'll definitely be making more use of.

Anybody else given this a go, or have strong opinions? AI in the Art world is difficult topic; and a hard balance to achieve.

Much Love,
Scott.

p.s. If you do give it a go, please feel free to share your lyrics and AI interpretations, I think it makes for compelling reading.

Bankie:
Like anything else, it's a tool, and I wouldn't be negative about it, though I haven't used it for this purpose. Something I'll probably have a go at soon, and I'll post results if I get something interesting. Not sure I want it to analyse anything about me personally though :D

shadowfax:
My basic feeling is..if I need to use AI to write a song, I'll give up!

Bankie:
My gaming PC automatically got the preview of Copilot, so I asked it to add some lyrics to those I'd already written. My rough lyric was "I put my head upon your chest / But I could hear nothing / Because you have no heart / You’re heartless". It came up with this as the 1st verse:
"You say you love me, but you don’t know how to show it You say you need me, but you always make me feel alone You say you’re sorry, but you never really mean it You say you’re different, but you’re just like everyone I’ve known"

... which I'd say works and rhymes but is pretty uninspiring as well as being negative about the human race rather than just the person it's about.

The bridge it gave was "You’re the reason why I cry at night You’re the reason why I can’t move on You’re the reason why I don’t believe in love You’re the reason why I’m heartless too"

... which isn't great either, though "You're the reason why I'm heartless too" isn't a bad twist.

Wicked Deeds:
How can anyone feel a sense of achievement if they use AI to assist or write. If you're a songwriter, take pride in what you do. It's a wonderful and rewarding journey to learn all aspects of this craft. Such skills may take a lifetime to acquire. It seems to me that we're approaching a time where people will tell themselves and others that they are a songwriter based on their use of AI, when really, they are not!.

Paul

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version