How I Write My Songs - Introduction

• 5 Replies

Whiskey Club

• Open Mic
    • Whiskey Club
« on: December 12, 2023, 12:47:28 PM »
Hi everyone.  New songwriter here, real name is John.

Every time I post a song in the finished songs section I was wondering if anyone would be interested in my posting a ‘how I developed the song’ in this section?

To set expectations, I am a complete beginner.  I just checked the date and I finished my first song on October 25th.  I’ve finished 5 more since though so they seem to be coming thick and fast.  A good friend messaged me wanting to discuss my creative process and that made me wonder if I even have one.  I think he meant “Where does a 60 year old bloke who has never tried to write songs before find them from?  How does it happen?”.  It is a valid question and it might be that my trying to answer it openly on the forum will help some other beginners.

I don’t profess to be particularly talented and I certainly don’t speak from any great experience so I hope nobody thinks I am trying to teach anything, especially since nearly everyone here has done much more that I have.  I am not qualified in any way to teach anything about songwriting.  But I think I will be able to articulate my thought process in developing songs.  I’m willing to try it anyway.

I’ll post something on my first ever song ‘Don’t Say My Name’ some time this week hopefully and see if it is of any use to anyone.

Cheers - John.

cowparsleyman

• Stadium Tour
  • What would you rather be or a wasp?
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2023, 12:56:33 PM »
Good to see you here, welcome aboard, Im sure you’ll fine something here that will help you on your song writing journey.

They are a great bunch here and have a lot to offer through experience and exceptional talent.

pompeyjazz

• Stadium Tour
  • pompeyjazz

simonjol

• Busker
  • Love to write and discuss music :)
    • The Confederation
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2023, 02:22:39 PM »
@Whiskey Club Hey John, great post! I checked out your tune on Youtube - 'Don't say my name'. That is a belter really adore that piano riff! Wonderful lyrics also you have a very obvious big talent for writing and great storytelling! Thing I love about songwriting is there are no rules, I enjoy observing the idiosyncrasies of folk and find this a constant source of lyrical inspiration. I enjoy writing from personal experience too but widening things out I find gives a richer source of storytelling / palette. I also find tv a good place for ideas. Sometimes a simple one liner or even just a word can fire up an emotion or image for a song for me.

Love to hear where others get inspiration for their songs.   

Whiskey Club

• Open Mic
    • Whiskey Club
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2023, 04:31:56 PM »
@Whiskey Club Hey John, great post! I checked out your tune on Youtube - 'Don't say my name'. That is a belter really adore that piano riff! Wonderful lyrics also you have a very obvious big talent for writing and great storytelling! Thing I love about songwriting is there are no rules, I enjoy observing the idiosyncrasies of folk and find this a constant source of lyrical inspiration. I enjoy writing from personal experience too but widening things out I find gives a richer source of storytelling / palette. I also find tv a good place for ideas. Sometimes a simple one liner or even just a word can fire up an emotion or image for a song for me.

Love to hear where others get inspiration for their songs.

@simonjol, that has just made my day.  I have my 3rd song releasing on Jan 5th and, at this stage of my development, release dates are not something that I look forward to.  It isn’t that I don’t think I can write but I am still shaky in the execution and lack confidence in the result.  I have just been listening to your music and, trust me, coming from you - that post has given me a much needed boost.  Cheers - John.

simonjol

• Busker
  • Love to write and discuss music :)
    • The Confederation
« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2023, 05:59:37 PM »
Keep writing you have a brilliant style. If you are like me it brings about the most joy in life  :D