Songwriter Forum > Introductions

Accidental Songwriter

(1/1)

Whiskey Club:
Hello everyone.  I am 60 years old and wrote my first ever song in September this year.  Played it for friends to an encouraging response.  Wrote another song. Friends asked for copies so I decided to distribute the songs to all of the usual platforms (easier than emailing wav files around).  Then I was asked for lyrics so I set up a website…

Now this has snowballed a bit.  I have two songs released and two more will be released in January, two more unfinished and a few concepts in mind.  I’ve promised to write and release at least 12 tracks.

I am tempted to promote the songs but can’t decide.  I am retired and I love my new songwriting hobby but I am not looking for a new job iykwim.  That said it would be nice if a few more people heard my music.  I don’t know what to do tbh but I hope that I will learn enough on this forum to help me make up my mind.

Looking forward to engaging with the forum.

John.

Bankie:
Hi @Whiskey Club , nice to meet you :)

I hear you re promoting your songs. Personally, I prefer to put my energy into making the songs and taking the easy route with regards to getting the songs out there - I have a Facebook page and a Soundcloud account, then I just tell people, then post on social media (and maybe post here). If you're like me, you should just let the snowball take its own course. If you have enough time and energy to push things a bit harder, go for it, but be sure to keep it fun/rewarding.

Whiskey Club:

--- Quote from: Bankie on December 13, 2023, 04:49:39 PM ---Hi @Whiskey Club , nice to meet you :)

I hear you re promoting your songs. Personally, I prefer to put my energy into making the songs and taking the easy route with regards to getting the songs out there - I have a Facebook page and a Soundcloud account, then I just tell people, then post on social media (and maybe post here). If you're like me, you should just let the snowball take its own course. If you have enough time and energy to push things a bit harder, go for it, but be sure to keep it fun/rewarding.

--- End quote ---

Thank you @Bankie ,that is very helpful.  I think I have been influenced by kind people saying ‘more people should hear your music’ etc.  Truth is, at this point in time, I find writing songs to be the most fulfilling thing I have ever done in my life.  Promoting them seems a bit too much like a chore, running a business and going back to the workplace I escaped from.  I don’t even enjoy updating my website tbh.  Great to hear from someone who thinks in a similar vein.

Cheers - John.

pompeyjazz:
Yes, making music is the fun part and I do find the whole promotional side of things a bit of a drag. I do make the occasional video for Youtube and post some stuff on social media but I'd much rather be writing and playing music !!

CaliaMoko:
I'm jumping on the bandwagon here. I put time and effort into running a business for a while, but I've decided to stop that and just concentrate on the music. For all the same reasons already mentioned. I mention my songs on Facebook now and then and provide links. That's about it.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

Go to full version