Songwriter Forum > Feedback on Works in Progress

The Perfect Storm Demo

(1/2) > >>

Nick Ryder:
Hi all,

I am posting this because I'm kind of stuck with what to do with it. I kind of feel it is too big for me to sing myself and thus do it justice. Therefore, I am thinking about using someone far better than I to record it.

Also, I'm not sure about the arrangement / production. Should it just be a piano and vocal as it is now and then let the singer shine, or should I add some strings? Maybe I could try a few different versions?

Anyway, thanks for listening and I'm looking forward to your comments, feedback and advice.

adamfarr:
Hi Nick - I like it - definitely an adventurous melody and a challenge for any singer.

I’d like to hear this kept intimate - but not just piano and vocals. I like the idea of a jazz club set up with (string) bass, maybe jazz guitar, and then maybe a subtle sax or trumpet if you can and want.

Will be cool any way it goes though as it’s such a strong melody.

pompeyjazz:
Hi @Nick Ryder I've listened to this a few times over the past few days. It's got such a beautiful melody. I love that opening "Chopin" inspired chord pattern. I reckon this one could work very well on a number of levels. For me a simple piano vocals version is absolutely fine and I actually reckon that your soulful vocals are well suited to the song although i can see it working with another vocalist too. If I was to add anything to it, it would be some subtle (but very subtle) string backing and maybe some plucked arpeggio strings on the runs in the chorus. A fine piece of writing for sure  :)

Nick Ryder:
@adamfarr @pompeyjazz

Many thanks for your feedback. I think I'm going to try a few different ideas out, and I think I have also found another girl singer who may record a version too.

It's an odd song and every now and then, I sit at the piano, play a few jazz chords and that dictates where the melody goes. Finding the words is often the hardest part for me , and I'm still not 100% happy, but it does tell an ambiguous story!! :)

Thanks again, guys.

Bankie:
I agree that your voice isn't quite right for the song; really hope you can get the right voice on it because it's a potential belter of a song. I think starting with just piano, then bringing in elements, like strings, gradually is the way to go. Either that or some heavy guitar riffs ;)

I don't think I'm telling you anything new, but just wanted to share enthusiasm to help maximise the chances of this one being completed :)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version