konalavadome

The Flirtatious Librarian

• 18 Replies

adamfarr

• Stadium Tour
    • SongEspresso
« on: October 29, 2023, 03:36:16 PM »
Hi - I'm back with my first little song in a while. As explained in the lyrics section, I had a dream about a sexy librarian (you know, the one with the glasses and the bun). I woke up thinking "wot, are you 12?!" Still, mid-life crises and cliche enjoyment aside, at least I got a song out of it, with a bit of a twist.

I went for no-frills production, just to make something I could have fun playing. Guess who made the album art... Constructive comments welcome as always!

V1
She'll take you from the self-help section
All the way to fantasy
No man can invent a question
That she can’t handle personally
Her grey matter’s so attractive
But seems a little manufactured?

CH
She’s the pied piper - for inquisitive guys 
She got us excited - cos we wanted to be so wise
But behind pretty eyes - lies a bitter surprise
What a crime, what a crime, what a crime - that we're not so bright

V2
Essays on antibiotics
She can spit out easily
She can talk about robotics
Like about a member of her family 
But her alluring calculation
Feels like a Turing simulation

CH

V3
Married men queue up interested
With innocent inquiries
But they seem to be ingested
And never leave her library
She starts to harvest more enhancements
There’s no off switch, she’s turning rampant

CH

OUTRO
What a crime, what a crime, what a crime -
... that we fell for the hype
... that we’re all gonna die
... that this is goodbye
... cos she's just an AI

shadowfax

• Stadium Tour
  • Singer songwriter
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2023, 04:45:04 PM »
I defy anyone to listen to this golden nugget of a song without smiling...it's a cracker, the way you've produced it works so well, keeping it simple,
clever lyrics and the plaintive type vocal works well..

awesome Adam.
Soundcloud Shadowfax6

from the nightmare!

pompeyjazz

• Stadium Tour
  • pompeyjazz
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2023, 05:40:39 PM »
I loved the lyrics to this one when you first posted them @adamfarr The musical treatment is absolutely spot on, keeping it simple is often the most difficult thing to do. I love the stops and starts and a great drum sound (really quite a 60's sound) and some nifty little riffs. Backing vocals work really well and of course the lyrics are an absolute star "She starts to harvest more enhancements, There’s no off switch, she’s turning rampant" my favourite line. Lovely twist at the end too  :) Superb

subvibe

• Solo Gig
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2023, 06:02:34 PM »
Hi

Very amusing & well thought out
the simplicity makes it stand out & shine !!
very well done

subvibe

ChrisPrice

• Platinum Album
« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2023, 08:39:20 PM »
I don't think I've heard a song about a librarian before! I'm liking this because it's quirky. It's something that might have come out the late 60's. Great lyrics. I really enjoyed this one. :)

Sterix

• Platinum Album
  • Devil may care, I do not!
    • Sterix Rocks!
« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2023, 09:22:54 PM »
Great to hear the tune to those lyrics. Is it me or were you a little influenced by a certain 60s children's BBC program with that intro? :P

Wicked Deeds

« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2023, 03:32:30 PM »
@Adamfarr, there's a new version of this in your mailbox.  I've  got to put it to one side for a few days but I've moved this on significantly.  There are still backing vocals to add and I want to achieve a better balance of guitars and their tone in places. 

Let me know your thoughts

Paul
« Last Edit: November 02, 2023, 03:52:00 PM by Wicked Deeds »

Nick Ryder

• Solo Gig
    • YouTube Channel
« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2023, 08:14:06 AM »
Hi Adam, I can't fault the song but the mix (for me) lets it down I think. That said it is better than I can do which is why I have to rely on other more talented folk to mix my music.

I think it lacks 'punch' whatever that means!! :)

MichaelA

• Stadium Tour
    • Sixth Beatle - a music themed novel by Michael A (not much about  The Beatles!)
« Reply #8 on: November 03, 2023, 06:38:16 PM »
I was just going to comment on the ‘challenge songs’, but then spotted this oddball song title and just had to have a nosy!

Very nice lo-fi guitar on intro that nicely sets the scene and mood for this kind of Mr Nobody love story. Full of eccentric charm, goes without saying, and indeed this sounds like the fantasy girl for me too. Especially if I could get her to keep loaning out ‘Gavin & The Bodysnatchers’. It’s quite a tragic reveal really that she is just AI, as I was all ready to get on the bus and join her library. Sigh.

Very poignantly put together, so the comedy is nicely mingled with the understated pathos of it all. A most English slice of humorous songwriting, that again, like your pirate number, would go down a treat sung live. 😉
My latest novel: pls check it out!

‘Gavin & The Bodysnatchers’, a quirky comedy crime thriller. Easily found on Amazon.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B09GZ7C8M7?ref_=pe_3052080_397514860

PaulAds

• Stadium Tour
  • Haemorrhaging Enthusiasm
« Reply #9 on: November 04, 2023, 05:35:48 PM »
Fantastic!

Totally charming and engaging. Funnily enough, I used to spend hours in my local library (during a self-imposed spell of accidental unemployment) and I bumped into one of the former librarians just yesterday walking through the RVI in Newcastle.

Tragic how so very many libraries in Britain have been closed over the last few years. It’s almost as if the powers-that-be want us to be a bunch of ignorant, uncultured morons…

They say you can only play as well as the opposition lets you…but we aren’t - as a species - helping ourselves much 😩

More dolly-bird librarians has to be the answer, surely? Is it not still 1976?

The whole AI thing made an excellent twist…although the thought of it crushes my soul…how fortunate we are that there probably won’t be any electricity for all of this shit to be powered by when we finally reach the dark ages that we’re careering towards, but don’t seem to see coming.

Great song from one of the forums giants 😀
heart of stone, feet of clay, knob of butter

Kafla

« Reply #10 on: November 05, 2023, 10:48:22 AM »
So good to hear one from you Adam. Always around here with good positive advice seeking very little in return.

Top class writing and producing. Got a 50s meets 90s indie vibes….

Lyrics are fascinating and so well written. The Bvs could maybe be lifted slightly in the mix but that’s minor.

It’s playful , joyful and ultimately top class!

adamfarr

• Stadium Tour
    • SongEspresso
« Reply #11 on: November 06, 2023, 07:50:08 AM »
Thanks everyone - I was pleased with the song here but I think the playing and production may be best described as "enthusiastic" rather than skilled.

Maybe it does need a wider, bigger, brighter production (and perhaps something is cooking) but this was fun enough to do.

@ChrisPrice it seems there is a whole genre of librarian songs (but they are mainly
about stereotypical cliche sexy librarians and most librarians hate them)

and @Sterix - you mean the one that everyone knows his name?! Yes I hear that too (but thankfully no one else noticed...)

Thanks everyone for listening and great comments - it's great to be fully back participating in the forum.

CorkingCrackBand

• Platinum Album
« Reply #12 on: November 08, 2023, 10:20:46 PM »
Hi @adamfarr

This one is really interesting for several reasons. One of which is the blend of styles. It sort of reminds me of The Albion Band circa late 80's/early 90's with the folk song give a RnR pop ballad vibe. Great lyrics and the mechanics of a great song. The recording is quirky and unique - not bad in and of it's self but a more 'traditional' mix/recording (as I think you agree) may give it a slightly more modern sound - as if that matters.

All the best,

CCB

Wicked Deeds

« Reply #13 on: November 09, 2023, 05:09:17 PM »
Hello @adamfarr,

there's a backing track in your inbox.  It's a bit of a fender guitar feast  ;D. All played on my telecaster through amplitube.  It's quite a big sound and is now awaiting your vocals unless you can persuade The Boss to make an appearance.

Paul

« Last Edit: November 09, 2023, 05:18:15 PM by Wicked Deeds »

adamfarr

• Stadium Tour
    • SongEspresso
« Reply #14 on: November 10, 2023, 09:05:35 AM »
@Wicked Deeds thanks a million - and I am definitely up for the Boss or a Boss! Sent you a message.