Electric Pianos / keyboards

• 3 Replies

rightly

• Stadium Tour
  • newer Soundcloud https://soundcloud.com/2rightly
    • My cloud o' sound.
« on: October 25, 2023, 06:07:27 PM »
Just generally

I've been considering buying an E piano.
To discover new melodies & base lines.

Electrics n all that.
I feel some apprehension of it mysteriously breaking down.
If it does, it's unlikely I'll be able ti fix it 

Do they break down?
Anyone about here with experience ilof that happening?
It's either this or that, then again it might be the other. 

I can promise you a future of slow decline.

Don't eat the yellow snow

And there you have it. 

https://soundcloud.com/2rightly

https://soundcloud.com/rightly

subvibe

• Solo Gig
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2023, 02:30:22 PM »

Hi @rightly
i used to have a Fender Rhodes & lent it out & never got it back !!
E Pianos Rhodes or Wurly can be quite temperamental & can go out of tune
so be prepared for some maintenance
If you have a Daw why not install a VST E piano there are plenty around
& i am sure there are some free ones

sucess
subvibe 

MonnoDB

• Stadium Tour
    • Soundcloud Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2023, 07:49:21 PM »
@rightly what do you want to do with the electric piano? Are you looking for an actual Rhodes or Wurlitzer like Subvive is describing, which can be finicky and as noted hard to keep in tune etc (but fantastic fun to play!!) or what I would call a "digital piano" which is basically a keyboard that can be used as a piano with a midi output that can be used to create other instrument sounds in a DAW? I was assuming the latter but now I'm thinking if you're worrying about them breaking down maybe you are looking for the former.

I've had a couple of digital pianos over the years and they were fine - first was a Roland and it lasted for years but I basically wore out the keyboard and it started to get a bit sticky... but I'd had it at least 15 years at that stage.. I'm not sure if I could have got it fixed but a friend was looking for one for her kid so that's where it went and I got a Nord that's being doing its thing for 7 years now..

I've also had a portable Yamaha banging about for years and have had no trouble with it at all..

So my experience with digital pianos has been very positive but maybe that's not what you're looking for at all (which is why you asked about e pianos!!)

Karen

cowparsleyman

• Stadium Tour
  • What would you rather be or a wasp?
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2024, 02:22:09 PM »
@rightly - A Yamaha is a good choice, I wouldn't want a piano that was a one trick pony, and a Rhodes is really heavy, and a bit tempremental,  the Yamaha YC88 is a good bet, or if you're after a synth with great electric pianos then a Yamaha Montage is a good choice albeit a tad expensive. Pianists tell me the feel of the Yamaha is way better than a Nord, which is it's obvious rival.

For me I use AAS Lounge Lizard for electric pianos, it's sooo nice, Arturia's V Collection 9 is also good but to my ears the AAS is better- the Arturia's  Wurli is excellent.

Hope this helps