konalavadome

BIAS FX

• 14 Replies

PeteS

• Platinum Album
« on: October 24, 2023, 03:46:28 PM »
Is anyone using Bias FX for guitar tones?  I'm struggling a bit with recording tones I really like.
New album out now - Wrong Time, Wrong Place : https://open.spotify.com/album/7AKxi8xiendb9dY22v4QnP?si=AR0VZ1pjSDOwVosifVd_sA
Instagram @echodogsofficial

pompeyjazz

• Stadium Tour
  • pompeyjazz

PeteS

• Platinum Album
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2023, 04:35:10 PM »
Thanks John, I've thought about switching but don't want to throw away what I've spent so far.  But I meant end up there.
New album out now - Wrong Time, Wrong Place : https://open.spotify.com/album/7AKxi8xiendb9dY22v4QnP?si=AR0VZ1pjSDOwVosifVd_sA

PaulAds

• Stadium Tour
  • Haemorrhaging Enthusiasm
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2023, 11:48:22 PM »
Yeah…I’ve just started using it…I found it really good thus far…there’s a Marshall preset I use that I thought was great…and a Mesa one that I really like for lead stuff too. Both needed a little tweak though…there was recently a giveaway of a slightly cut-down version…but it still offers maybe a dozen amps…which is more than I could imagine ever needing.
heart of stone, feet of clay, knob of butter

cowparsleyman

• Stadium Tour
  • What would you rather be or a wasp?
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2023, 08:26:13 AM »
@PeteS - Hi Peter, great to hear from you...I tried BiasFX quite a while ago, and found it way too tricky to get a tone I liked, they sold it as flexible, but in use it was was wasting my time, so I tried a whole bunch of others, and in my opinion the easiest to get a good sound right out of the box is.....Ta Daaa..

1. IK Multimedia Amplitude 5 max - huge range and very easy to get a great sound
2. Scuffham v3 - OK but a tad niche
3. Waves PRS amps - very good value for money
4. Plugin Alliance do some re badged UAD emulations like the Friedman, Diezel and the Dumble (Fuchs ODS) emulations.

You get very good Marshall, Fender and Mesa Boogie sounds with Amplitude, their bass amps are also very good (Ampeg, Trace Elliot, Fender etc)...btw it was a fellow forum guy that put me onto Amplitude and Scuffham. If you wait until Shrove Tuesday (sorry Black Friday) you'll get a very good deal

Hope this helps

PeteS

• Platinum Album
« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2023, 11:16:19 AM »
@PaulAds @cowparsleyman Hi giys, I've been using it for a couple of years and now have the middle level pack.  Individually, a lot of the tones sound good, my main issue is when I want to record a second track and finding tones t hat go with each other.  If I record direct from my Katana I can do that but obviously, that's not a great way of recording.  I'll probably stop what I'm doing now and focus on just recording a short section where I try to find 4 tones that go well with each other so I can rotate them as I see fit.

Looking forward to sharing some new music soon!

cowparsleyman

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2023, 11:28:53 AM »
@PeteS - I usually do the contrasting track with a completely different guitar, proabaly a single coil, that takes care of the sound, and take the distortion down a load, more lke light crunch , let the lead gtr take all of the distortion, do 2 tracks and swing wide-ish 10 and 2 o' clock L and R, there might be BV's lying at 9 and 3 o'clock...

PeteS

• Platinum Album
« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2023, 11:45:19 AM »
I've tried my other guitars but theyre not single coil.  I do have an old Squier Strat around somewhere.  It's not great but might be worth a try.  If I can find which son has nicked it!

cowparsleyman

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #8 on: October 25, 2023, 03:09:31 PM »
@PeteS - Some Squiers are FANTASTIC, my Classic Vibe 60's custom is in my view better than a real one, I played an American Tele for an hour before playing the Squier, and I had no hesitation in buying the squier, so so much better, ask @pompeyjazz - he's got one too...mind you it it's an affinity or  bullet, there's always Guy Fawkes night coming along soon....

...anyway, it's worth a punt, and the chances are whichever son has borrowed it has lent it to someone else...who now has it under a girlfriends bed.

Bankie

• Solo Gig
« Reply #9 on: November 02, 2023, 01:04:41 PM »
I use Bias FX 2, switching from Guitar Rig a few years ago on the advice of a pro sound engineer. I think it's incredible, particularly with the Omnyss expansion. It doesn't have the presets of GR, but then it does have the cloud thingy where you can browse and easily download setups other people have done.

PeteS

• Platinum Album
« Reply #10 on: November 06, 2023, 11:20:55 AM »
@Bankie what exactly does the Omnyss expansion add?  I like the latest update, seems to simplify things but all to often one of the guitars is a little 'hissy' (that really doesn't describe it well).  Individually, it seems to sound fine when I play it, but just doesn't go. 
On my track Beyond the Woods (on the finished section), for the rhythm guitars I used one sound that I nearly always use but a completely new one on the other side and it's not too bad.
Still searching though, as I guess we always are.

Bankie

• Solo Gig
« Reply #11 on: November 18, 2023, 09:32:14 AM »
@PeteS Omnyss adds a couple of new amps, but they're not for everyone. They're amazing for creating modern metal or really heavy soundscapes. Not really for pop/rock though of course anything can be used on any genre if you're creative enough. BTW, I've since had a go with AmpliTube 5, and that has really got my attention for the common tones - I don't think any of the heavy tones can touch Omnyss, but the standard rock tones on the presets were lovely and smooth.

PeteS

• Platinum Album
« Reply #12 on: November 20, 2023, 06:15:47 AM »
@Bankie I watched some Youtube vids on it but didn't think it was what I was looking for. 
I don't know why I can't get this right, I have about 4 tones I like and individually, they sound gteat when I play them, but when I put them together on a track it just doesn't do it for me.
Beyond the Woods, that you commented on, is probably closest to something I like but I just feel it lacks a bit of punch.

cowparsleyman

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #13 on: November 27, 2023, 04:28:28 PM »
@Bankie @PeteS - I agree about Amplitude 5 with the rock tones, however if you go for the MAX package there are some really excellent metal amps such as Mesa Boogie dual and triple rectifier, Amplitude's own seems to be a go to for me, the Slash, Satriani signature models don't really do much for me, they sound very similar.

The first  thing I would do is to move right away from the 4 tones that you like and spend an evening trying something completely different, some presets perhaps and work back from them, with just drums and bass, put the bass down a bit in the mix.

With regards your problem with punch, sometimes it's due to a track being cluttered with too much going on, so the initial pick of the plectrum is occluded with something else around that freq range, if it's in the same place int he sound stage, another fix for something like this is to put the punch somewhere else, for example on the kick, or snare, as with all drum mixing it can sound awful when solo'd, but come alive when used in the whole mix, kicks can be hard to get right.

Have as little compression as possible, as that'll take some of the punch away.

Hope this helps Pete

PeteS

• Platinum Album
« Reply #14 on: November 27, 2023, 04:41:18 PM »
Thanks Rich, I'll try that.  I have got one I'm working on at the moment that sounds more like I want it to.