"The Key challenge"

• 75 Replies

Wicked Deeds

« on: October 11, 2023, 07:15:26 PM »
If there is enough interest,  I thought it might be a good idea to have another challenge once 'Old For New' is completed.

This involves three draws: 

The 1st draw will involve selecting the name of a forum member wishing to participate. 

The 2nd draw will involve selecting a subject for each forum member to write about.

The third draw will select a musical key that the song must be written in.

Finally, I'm happy to write out the relevant chords for each key so that participants don't have to work them out.

It's early stages and the 'New For Old' challenge is still ongoing but it would be good to discover if this proposal appeals to anyone.  Answers on a postcard, please.

Thanks

Paul

« Last Edit: October 11, 2023, 07:20:38 PM by Wicked Deeds »

ChrisPrice

• Platinum Album
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2023, 06:07:39 PM »
Go on then. I haven't taken part in a challenge since the 'headline' jobbie a while back which had me writing a crazy song about 'Sasquatch'!!
Count me in. :)

MonnoDB

• Stadium Tour
    • Soundcloud Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2023, 07:33:16 PM »
Hmmmmm.... maybe.... I don't do challenges but this appeals to me as a prompt....

PaulAds

• Stadium Tour
  • Haemorrhaging Enthusiasm
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2023, 07:46:24 PM »
Yeah...count me in too  :)
heart of stone, feet of clay, knob of butter

adamfarr

• Stadium Tour
    • SongEspresso
« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2023, 10:07:04 PM »
I seem to do better starting with a restrictive brief than freestyling, so maybe maybe maybe!

Wicked Deeds

« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2023, 08:54:17 AM »
@adamfarr, @paulads, @MonnoDB, @pompeyjazz, @Chris Price, that's great news and I hope that you are all able to take part. I'll keep an eye on the 'Old For NEw' challenge and when it has ran its course, I'll arrange to set this in motion. Of course, I'll hapilly join in with this challenge too. 

All forum members are welcome so please include your name in this thread.  If the 'New for Old' challenge is over, I'll arrange the draw for next weekend.

Paul

Wicked Deeds

« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2023, 11:00:47 PM »
Ok, the song titles for the key challenge are:

1. The Emperors New Clothes.

2. Exclusive.

3. Making Progress.

4. Tell Me about Donna.

5. Beneath The Street Lamps.

6. 24 Hours, No More.

7. The Wonder Of The Universe

8.  Caught In The Lens.

9. 5 Miles From The Coast.

10. A Phone Call At Midnight.

11. Suitably unimpressed.

12.  When .com Didn't Exist.

Names of contestants will go into hat number one.

The 12 song titles as listed above will go into hat number two.

keys will go into hat number three (24 keys; major and minor will go into the hat, you could get either major or minor)

Each person will get one of the above titles, and a key to write in, including a list of chords belonging to that key.  It's not important that we cover all musical keys or all of the song titles.  Once again, 5 entrants would be enough to make this challenge worthwhile and I believe that we are almost there.   However, if there eare more entrants, then even better!

Thought I'd prepare a list of titles to get everyone thinking.

Additional note: if for example we only attract 6 entrants, you can decline the song title/key drawn from the hat and accept a second choice.

Apologies if I'm running ahead with this but I really want to get the forum moving again.

Paul

« Last Edit: October 14, 2023, 11:34:09 PM by Wicked Deeds »

Wicked Deeds

« Reply #8 on: October 15, 2023, 07:10:54 PM »
Ok, the song titles for the key challenge are:

1. The Emperors New Clothes.

2. Exclusive.

3. Making Progress.

4. Tell Me about Donna.

5. Beneath The Street Lamps.

6. 24 Hours, No More.

7. The Wonder Of The Universe

8.  Caught In The Lens.

9. 5 Miles From The Coast.

10. A Phone Call At Midnight.

11. Suitably unimpressed.

12.  When .com Didn't Exist.

Names of contestants will go into hat number one.

The 12 song titles as listed above will go into hat number two.

keys will go into hat number three (24 keys; major and minor will go into the hat, you could get either major or minor)

Each person will get one of the above titles, and a key to write in, including a list of chords belonging to that key.  It's not important that we cover all musical keys or all of the song titles.  Once again, 5 entrants would be enough to make this challenge worthwhile and I believe that we are almost there.   However, if there eare more entrants, then even better!

Thought I'd prepare a list of titles to get everyone thinking.

Additional note: if for example we only attract 6 entrants, you can decline the song title/key drawn from the hat and accept a second choice.

Apologies if I'm running ahead with this but I really want to get the forum moving again.

Paul

Apologies for bumping this thread. We need it to remain at the forefront as it will promote a more vibrant forum. Everyone is welcome to join in!

Paul

PaulAds

• Stadium Tour
  • Haemorrhaging Enthusiasm
« Reply #9 on: October 15, 2023, 07:12:26 PM »
Some great topics there…I’m looking forward to this 😀
heart of stone, feet of clay, knob of butter

pompeyjazz

• Stadium Tour
  • pompeyjazz

Nick Ryder

• Solo Gig
    • YouTube Channel
« Reply #11 on: October 16, 2023, 03:45:04 PM »
Hi Paul,

I'd love to take part but I just don't have the time at the moment. I'm going to watch with interest though.

Wicked Deeds

« Reply #12 on: October 22, 2023, 08:23:11 AM »
Good morning,

Thought I'd check in to remind everyone about this challenge and hopefully to attract one or two more entrants.  As I see it, we have both definites and maybes:

Definites:

@ChrisPrice
@PaulAds 
@pompeyjazz 
@Wicked Deeds

Maybe:

@MonnoDB
@adamfarr

So, I'll be pushing this over the next week.  Next friday, a decision will be made to see if this has potential.  I'll then make the drawer if that is the case.

I know challenges are not everyone's cup of tea but if you can find it within yourself to take part then I urge you to do so.  The forum has seen a little bit of a revival lately and everyone benefits from activities like this as there is a greater footfall and member's songs receive more reviews.

Let's make this a success!

Paul
« Last Edit: October 22, 2023, 09:49:10 PM by Wicked Deeds »

ChrisPrice

• Platinum Album
« Reply #13 on: October 22, 2023, 07:48:37 PM »
I'm ready! Well, ready as I'll ever be!! :)

Wicked Deeds

« Reply #14 on: October 22, 2023, 09:55:39 PM »
Thanks @ChrisPrice, I was hoping for at least 5 definitely but will make the draw for the benefit of those who have stressed an interest. 

I do wonder what it takes to persuade people to embrace initiatives like this. I know we are all busy but it is appreciated when members become involved. If time is a problem, submit a single instrument and vocal or perhaps collaborate with another member.

Paul