konalavadome

So I accidentally played my first gig the other day...

• 7 Replies

Mr.Chainsaw

• Solo Gig
« on: February 01, 2012, 09:47:03 PM »
Now I know what you're thinking; "How do you accidentally play a gig?" Well let me explain...

On Mondays at where I work the restraunt is shut, so I've organised an open mic night in the front bar as there's no diners to disturb, and lets face it monday nights are dead pretty much everywhere you go so the added punters help.

The guys that show up have there own "band" they play in. Mostly old Irish folk, but they're quite happy to let anyone get up and play with there kit (though Chris won't let me near his accordian  >:( )

So one night I got badgered into playing, seeing as everyone knows I play guitar a bit. I was shitting myself, let me tell you! Did a few ropey numbers, then I kinda got into it! Felt pretty cool playing infront of a mic, in front of people.

So now "the ego has landed" hahaha, gonna play next week and been thinking of a few covers to do.

So, yeah. If you've never played infront of anyone before, I'd highly recommend it. I feel a bit more confident in my playing, and definately got a kick out of it which was cool. Give it a try! You only live once. Unless your a Buddhist, but that's cheating

Peter
Everything is easier said than done.

Except talking.

That's about the same.

tone

• Administrator
  • Stadium Tour
  • Forum Former Führer
  • The People's Democratic Republic of Songwriting
    • Anthony Lane on soundcloud
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2012, 10:10:07 PM »
Good for you Peter. I play at open mic most weeks and have been doing for the last year or so. The thing I've noticed is that not only has my confidence grown, my songwriting has improved too. When you're playing your own material, you soon get to know which songs people respond to the most. Sure, some slower, quieter songs although they may be good just don't penetrate above the general noise, but on the whole I find audience response a good measure of how good a song is.

Keep it up Peter, well done :)
New EP: Straitjacket - Listen here

1st track from my upcoming album -- Click to listen -- Thanks!

Please read the rules before posting in the feedback forums http://bit.l

Ramshackles

• Global Moderator
  • Stadium Tour
  • https://soundcloud.com/ramshackles
    • Ramshackles @ Facebook
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2012, 01:20:14 AM »
:) It's a high right? Even if you are like us and play to about 10 people (on a good night..)
Haven't played a live gig for a couple of years (at least!) but I was always too fidgety and nervous looking between songs...which is why I originally roped in other singers! Then I could just hide at the back or behind the piano and play..

It's great that you are playing. It's cool that you even had the balls to agree to being thrown into someone else band! Try and throw them for a loop at the next open mic...play a cover from a totally different style and make it <insert your genre here>, or try and upgrade the sound quality :P. DI'd acoustics generally sound terrible...get hold of an acoustic amp or a nice fishman pickup and make your guitar sound shine above everyone elses :P

But mostly just enjoy playing :P

estreet

• Solo Gig
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2012, 06:13:20 PM »
There's a huge difference between gigging covers and playing your own material. I've been in bands all my life and must have done around 4-5000 gigs over that time, at a rough working out. However, when you are playing your own stuff, if it's heartfelt and drawn from your own life, then it's like, as my mate says: 'Standing there without your trousers on'. I still play covers to eke out a living along with teaching guitar but once or twice a month we gig with the original material band, and it's a totally different ballgame.
Youth & enthusiasm are no match for age and treachery.

Schavuitje

• Stadium Tour
    • Camera Shy
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2012, 11:11:17 PM »
Am so jealous :) I think it's awesome mate and you obviously loved it  ;D
There are holes in the sky where the rain gets in  , but they're ever so small, that's why rain is thin.

postmn

• Solo Gig
  • I am not done listening to myself
« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2012, 06:45:32 PM »
hey its not cheating, just a tactical advantage..........good for you man, Hope you do good covers next week, and get major applause! 

Songsmith

• Solo Gig
  • If you can feel, you can write!!
« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2012, 12:09:39 AM »
good for you!! go for it whenever you can, as you're not a buddhist you haven't got much time left!! lol :) :)

djohnson1974

• Busker
« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2012, 11:47:42 PM »
Well done Mr C. 

For me gigging is what it's all about, you just can't replicate the buzz of doing a goog gig and sharing it with a couple of mates is even better. 

I'm in a rock / pop covers band in which we are gradually adding some of our own stuff.  I'm also in a 5 piece blues outfit but we don't gig very often anymore (a bit specialst for your average wetherspoons crowd).