Songwriter Forum > Feedback on Works in Progress

Go Your Own Way

(1/1)

Nick Ryder:
Hey all.

This is a song I started at the weekend. It's not finished yet and this is a very rough mix. I think I still have a way to go before it's finished. I've gone with the first arrangement I could think of, although originally I'd intended it to be a guitar band song.

I'd be keen for all constructive feedback in terms of the arrangement, song structure etc. What would you do differently and how would you improve it?

You're obviously all very talented and experienced people, and this is the first time I have ever asked for feedback when a song is unfinished (mainly because I don't know any other songwriters or arrangers).

Oh, and hopefully this will end up with real drums on it eventually.

Wicked Deeds:
@Nick Ryder my friend,

First impression,  I'm sure you'll address the rhythm track which is very rigid at the moment. It isn't as noticeable when the track begins to move but still requires a little attention.  The song has an overall lovely feeling. The mood is just right but the production in my opinion, needs further work to make it shine and to differentiate sections. I'm sure however, that this is very much on your radar. The choice of what to do is entirely yours but I know exactly what I would do if I had free reign.  I can hear the acoustic rhythm bit I'd introduce some single chord stabs in a higher register on the fret board. Don't allow the drums to dominate as they currently do. You know what you're doing with melody and emotional aspect of the song. It' s really cool but ensure  that there are very distinctive sections that are enhanced through production. "Easy Like Sunday Morning" would be a similar reference song to explore production options.

I've just listened to Lionel's song. I'd go as far as to suggest an electric guitar break just as he has.  Ensure the piano track is prominent and introduce a killer m8 to provide a lift that will set. this song apart.

You're a quality songwriter for sure.

Paul

Nick Ryder:

--- Quote from: Wicked Deeds on June 10, 2023, 07:50:04 PM ---@Nick Ryder my friend,

First impression,  I'm sure you'll address the rhythm track which is very rigid at the moment. It isn't as noticeable when the track begins to move but still requires a little attention.  The song has an overall lovely feeling. The mood is just right but the production in my opinion, needs further work to make it shine and to differentiate sections. I'm sure however, that this is very much on your radar. The choice of what to do is entirely yours but I know exactly what I would do if I had free reign.  I can hear the acoustic rhythm bit I'd introduce some single chord stabs in a higher register on the fret board. Don't allow the drums to dominate as they currently do. You know what you're doing with melody and emotional aspect of the song. It' s really cool but ensure  that there are very distinctive sections that are enhanced through production. "Easy Like Sunday Morning" would be a similar reference song to explore production options.

I've just listened to Lionel's song. I'd go as far as to suggest an electric guitar break just as he has.  Ensure the piano track is prominent and introduce a killer m8 to provide a lift that will set. this song apart.

You're a quality songwriter for sure.

Paul

--- End quote ---

Thank you, Paul. You make some excellent suggestions and observations. Exactly what I needed.

The song is currently over 5 minutes, which is why I'd resisted writing a middle 8, but having listened back I think I can be ruthless and cut out the first break section which will leave room for a middle 8.

Vey much appreciated.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

Go to full version