To Rode NT1-A Users

• 5 Replies

Ramshackles

• Global Moderator
  • Stadium Tour
  • https://soundcloud.com/ramshackles
    • Ramshackles @ Facebook
« on: February 01, 2012, 10:20:42 AM »
The Rode NT1-A is a good starter microphone. It's cheap, looks pro and is detailed. Once you get into recording, you might to start to notice the disadvantages of the NT1-A. IT doesn't really flatter a voice - it's excessively bright to the point of being harsh. Pair it up with an already bright voice (e.g. female) and it's a recipe for disaster.
Anyway, I came across this a few months ago:
http://www.oktavamodshop.com/product_info.php?products_id=145

It's a company that modifies budget microphones to get them close to the classic Neumann sound (which would set you back at least £1000 for a single mic). They do an NT1-A mod which suggests it gets close to the U87 sound. The listening tests are AMAZING. I haven't got mine modded (yet) but I did buy the 'Ultimate SDC Mod' from them to use on acoustic guitars. It's pretty stunning.

Anyway, I know there are a few guys using NT1-A's and if you ever feel like you need a better sound, instead of shelling out loads for a new mic, you can send in your NT1-A to be modded...It's not completely cheap - ~250 for the modification of your existing mic or ~400 to buy a modded mic, but it's a LOT cheaper than going for the original Neumann (which to my ears sounds pretty much the same) which costs £2000 from ebay.

The modifications they do are stuff like changing the capsule and/or electronics and changing the headbasket. They explain it ALL on the website.

BTW, I dont work for this company at all/Im not associated with them (I know it sounds like Im selling)...I've just been super impressed with them so far. If, like me, you don't care at all about having a 'Name' on your equipment and just want the best bang for the buck then modifications is surely the way to go....

tone

• Administrator
  • Stadium Tour
  • Forum Former Führer
  • The People's Democratic Republic of Songwriting
    • Anthony Lane on soundcloud
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2012, 10:49:51 AM »
Very interesting stuff there Ramshackles. Very interesting. My only concern would be once the mic is modded, what assurances do I have that the mic will continue to perform well for the rest of its expected lifespan. And if I was going to spend £400 on a mic, why shouldn't I get an AKG414 or similar from ebay?

Not arguing, just exploring, discussing :)
New EP: Straitjacket - Listen here

1st track from my upcoming album -- Click to listen -- Thanks!

Please read the rules before posting in the feedback forums http://bit.l

Ramshackles

• Global Moderator
  • Stadium Tour
    • Ramshackles @ Facebook
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2012, 12:27:31 PM »
Great points. Heres my take on it.
- Theres lots of people doing mods out there. Some will probably be rubbish. The one I've mentioned is a fully fledged company so you are going to get the service of a proper business. All the mic's come with a 5 year warranty. The biggest factor I think that would reassure as to the lifespan of the mics is the fact that he is generally swapping out the cheaper components of these budget-mid range mics for better components. He talks through what he does on the website. For the NT1-A he swaps the capsule for the K47 that is found in Neumann mics, changes the headbasket and makes some upgrades to the circuit.
A problem could be the sell on value. I dont think people on ebay would want to shell out on a 'modded' mic for anymore than the original cost. Just because they dont know the reliability of the mod. It's easy to say so-and-so modded it on ebay. Having said that, the rode doesnt have much sell on value anyway as it's cheap to start with.

- The AKG is certainly a good mic. Is it in Neumann league? Probably not, but when you get to that price, it's more about different 'flavours' rather than what is better. I dont have a neumann to compare my mics against, but the listening tests on his website are stunning. I've had my SDC's a few months, they havent failed at all (but they aren't old). They do sound great. I much prefer them over my shure sm81 (which is a good mic anyway) for acoustic guitars. I think the question should more be 'Do I want a Neumann or an AKG?'. Then you say Neumann...but you dont have the money....so you think, well, Ill have to go back to the AKG anyways...but this is an alternative...

A good question is, so why doesnt it cost nearly as much as a Neumann? I'm in the middle of building a summing mixer that is pretty much similar to a Folcrom. The Folcrom sells for $750. My summing mixer is costing about £70 to make.
In a similar way, I reckon a Neumann costs so much because:
1. You are buying a Name. World famous, reliable, looks super impressive on e.g. a studio website to say you have a cabinet full of Neumann's. Everyone wants to record on a Neumann.
2. Neumann have obviously spent a lot of time researching to build and make the best mics

With oktavamod, he is only changing the critical components to get that neumann sound. It's not a name and it still retains whatever of your original mic is good, so in the end the total components are a bit cheaper. You are basically paying him for the components and the time to put it together, no bells and whistles and no 'Name' to drive up the price :)

Ok, sounds like an advert, but I do reckon its a great thing. When Im richer Ill get my NT1-A modded as its just getting dusty :P IMO the changes are giving you a mic with a more expensive sound than you have paid for.

Then again, I would still like to have some mics that are the original :P. Modding mics to get close to super expensive mic's is a good idea IMO, but modding mics to get toward a sub 1000 pound mic is maybe not such a good idea :P

I dont have a great answer for why not just a £400 mic? Other than the idea of the mods is that you getting a sound that would be >£1000 to buy the original. OF course, there are some really good £400 mics out there...

tone

• Administrator
  • Stadium Tour
  • Forum Former Führer
  • The People's Democratic Republic of Songwriting
    • Anthony Lane on soundcloud
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2012, 06:01:22 PM »
You're the man to know about studio geekery Mr Ramshackles. Glad we have you on our humble forum :)

2 things if I may... Firstly, I'm itching to know about this desk you're building for £70, not only because I can build a computer, but I don't have the faintest clue about mixers, but also because I've just inherited a Behringer desk that's out of action and is about to go in the bin. If it can be saved/ repaired/ used for parts to make a better mixer, then I need to know how!

Secondly, I take your point about the Neumann I really do. Twice in my life I've been lucky enough to record vocals through a Neumann mic. On the first occasion, the result was stunning, beautiful, as you would expect. On the second occasion, the result was disappointing, and as a direct comparison to a vocal I did on an AKG414, not even close.

So it's always worth reminding yourself that the gear on its own isn't worth the materials it's made from if it's not in the hands of someone who knows how to use it.
New EP: Straitjacket - Listen here

1st track from my upcoming album -- Click to listen -- Thanks!

Please read the rules before posting in the feedback forums http://bit.l

Ramshackles

• Global Moderator
  • Stadium Tour
    • Ramshackles @ Facebook
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2012, 07:30:08 PM »
It's not a whole mixing desk, just the summing part - i.e. 16 stereo signals in, 1 stereo signal out. It can be as simple as some resistors and wire and then you use a stereo preamp to add gain (cause the resistors will reduce the gain). Of course, unless you have a nice coloured preamp, it wont sound much different to allowing your DAW to do the summing digitally (i.e. the 'stereo out' bus or 'master bus' or whatever it is called is the 'summed' audio - all the audio together :P ). But then you can pimp out your summing section by adding transformers which give some kind of mojo...or you can make the summing section handle the gain aswell, rather than going out to a preamp. Im just messing around, but it could be the first building block on the way to making my own mixer....that could take years though :P
I love the whole idea of this DIY stuff...its kind of similar to getting something modded in that you are going after a more expensive sound without buying the expensive toys (albeit, to get really great DIY results it does cost money. A single good transformer might be £25-40. Consider that a single channel might have transformers on the inputs and outputs. Multiply that by a small, 16 channel desk...thats £960 on transformers alone. Thats why only expensive crazy stuff like Neve bothers with these...)

You are so luck to have recorded on a Neumann. :D When I'm rich....

Excellent point about knowing your gear. A man with only two cheap toys that he knows intimately will produce something better than a man with 100 expensive toys that he knows nothing about...

Pez

• Open Mic
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2012, 10:50:35 PM »
its a mic a lot of rappers get as there first 'decent' mic. or the nt2... i think they are one of the best condensor mics available in the £0-£200 price bracket. I'm still on a shure sm58 and am after a green bullet for that jack white/damon albarn type effect