Standing desk for music production?

• 3 Replies

QuestionAsker

• Busker
« on: March 27, 2023, 01:12:57 AM »
Anyone use a standing desk for music production?

If so, what's your setup? (ie. sitting / standing, manual adjustable desk or with a motor, which brand you might recommend, etc.)

My current setup is very ghetto (and clunky / uncomfortable) so thinking about how to design something that's most optimized for a smooth workflow, yet comfortable for many hours of production).

Been thinking about a standing desk setup to save my back, in my old office job I used to have one and would sometimes adjust it for standing. I wouldn't always work in the standing position, but on days my back would hurt a lot it would help to do so. Not sure if it's worth the hassle though, in upgrading my current home studio setup.

CaliaMoko

• Stadium Tour
  • Strumming on the couch in pigtails
    • Late Bloomers Rock
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2023, 01:47:29 AM »
I have a very basic standing setup. I have a normal-height desk (about 30-31 inches, in the neighborhood of 75 cm). I put an old wooden door (about 1.25 inch or 3+cm) on the desk and put a row of four 7-inch (17cm) plastic drawers on top of that and covered them with another old wooden door. I'm a short person, so that's plenty high for me. I put the screens (I have two) on top of little 4-inch (10.5cm) stands. The doors are longer than the desk, so I offset them. The bottom one sticks out on the left far enough to put the tower computer on. The top one sticks out on the right and tends to collect junk.

QuestionAsker

• Busker
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2023, 10:18:55 PM »
I have a very basic standing setup. I have a normal-height desk (about 30-31 inches, in the neighborhood of 75 cm). I put an old wooden door (about 1.25 inch or 3+cm) on the desk and put a row of four 7-inch (17cm) plastic drawers on top of that and covered them with another old wooden door. I'm a short person, so that's plenty high for me. I put the screens (I have two) on top of little 4-inch (10.5cm) stands. The doors are longer than the desk, so I offset them. The bottom one sticks out on the left far enough to put the tower computer on. The top one sticks out on the right and tends to collect junk.

Thanks Calia. How much do you find standing improves your workflow, over working sitting?

My funds are pretty tight so wondering whether to wait on the standing desk and just get a regular desk for the time being.

CaliaMoko

• Stadium Tour
  • Strumming on the couch in pigtails
    • Late Bloomers Rock
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2023, 09:39:06 PM »
Well, my work process is so hit-and-miss regardless of whether I sit or stand. I opted for standing because it's healthier. I tend to spend a lot of time at the computer, and I didn't want to spend so much time sitting down. Cuts time off your life, ya know! So now I stand. So I just used a lot of words without answering your question...sorry! I don't have an answer.

I didn't spend much money, but if you want your set up to be pretty, I suppose it could cost a bit. I bought the plastic drawers--they were very reasonable. I recycled old doors. One monitor is sitting on a cassette holder I've had for years. I bought a cute little doodad with drawers in it to set the other monitor on. Not pretty, but functional.

Thanks Calia. How much do you find standing improves your workflow, over working sitting?

My funds are pretty tight so wondering whether to wait on the standing desk and just get a regular desk for the time being.